Conservatives To restore The Royal Canadians...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Harper's drive to take Canada back to the 1950's continues apace.

It's all about the sweater vest and haircut daddy-o. Any era that could produce such awesome style must be idyllic. Next up, they will restore formica kitchen tables in bright, cheery colours... can't wait.

I see Harper's drive to take Canada back to the 1950's continues apace.

Could be worse, BD! Harper seems stuck on "Happy Days" and "Sha Na Na". Pretty sappy but those times did generate rock and roll. There was also an incredible amount of great black blues playing going on, although I'd be surprised to hear that Harper was a fan. Still, you never know much about the personal details of our politicians.

What if it was the late 70's he was trying to re-invent? Disco? Abba? Dare I say it, Donna Summer?

"The horror! The horror!"

I believe eroding the espirit de corps was a wrong. So was turning our backs on a very meritorious and proud history

Believe me, no one has a greater regard for the history of the forces than I, but I can't help but lump this in with the Cons' growing creepy (and creeping) military fetish. I guess even Harper isn't immune to the charms of a man in uniform.

You have a funny idea about what constitutes a "wrong".

Most would say yours is the funny one. Over time, many of the changes made in 1968 have since been undone: the ranks, the uniforms, the decals; the moves were never popular with the people serving in the forces. To you, though, those fixes - a return to what was before a change nobody wanted was made - was regression, since this return to the original naming is in the same vein and you think it's backwards.

Besides that, this country is - right now, today - a constitutional monarchy. It doesn't seem at all incongruous for branches of the military to have a 'royal' prefix before their names; it's a badge of honour marking distinguished service to the non-partisan Canadian Crown, the embodiment of the state. The same is done in Norway, the UK, Sweden, Morocco, Thailand, Australia, Denmark. Nothing backwards about it.

Most would say yours is the funny one. Over time, many of the changes made in 1968 have since been undone: the ranks, the uniforms, the decals; the moves were never popular with the people serving in the forces. To you, though, those fixes - a return to what was before a change nobody wanted was made - was regression, since this return to the original naming is in the same vein and you think it's backwards.

It is, by definition, backwards. The only difference is whether or not you regard this particular regression as a good thing. You do. I don't really care one way or the other, save for what it says about our political leadership's mindset.

The Conservative government's decision to restore the traditional designations of the Canadian Forces; the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN), Canadian Army and Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) is a welcome move that recognizes a reality that has been long ignored by officialdom: The decades-long attempt to erase the historic designations, and unique identities, of the RCN, Canadian Army and RCAF was a failure.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/editorials/the-canadian-forces-names-a-mark-of-respect/article2130372/

It is about that..period. And not the snide musings of fetishes or what ever puerile thought someone has about the conservatives.

Believe me, no one has a greater regard for the history of the forces than I, but I can't help but lump this in with the Cons' growing creepy (and creeping) military fetish. I guess even Harper isn't immune to the charms of a man in uniform.

I don't really care one way or the other, save for what it says about our political leadership's mindset.

So if it wasn't the Conservative's idea, you would be OK with it?

Edited by Wilber

What if it was the late 70's he was trying to re-invent? Disco? Abba? Dare I say it, Donna Summer?
Well Harper sings the Guess Who's "Share the Land" rather well. Since that came out, at least in the U.S. in October 1970 would that mean that he wants to recreate the FLQ crisis, or more the hippy era? Edited by jbg

My Dad was navy. His last service was on HMCS Bonneventure, our last carrier. He saw what was coming and got out in 1960. When he saw what Hellyer did it broke his heart! Shows what can happen when you put a civilian in charge of a military who has absolutely no clue about the traditions and values of military servicemen and women.

boo hoo for your daddy...Hellyer would ABSOLUTELY have had a clue since he served in WW2 in the Royal Canadian Artillery...apparently he had no silly emotional attachment to the "royal" part of his military life...

boo hoo for your daddy...Hellyer would ABSOLUTELY have had a clue since he served in WW2 in the Royal Canadian Artillery...apparently he had no silly emotional attachment to the "royal" part of his military life...

Correct. His silly attachments are for UFOs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1360737/I-believe-UFOs--Ive-seen-says-ex-defence-minister-Paul-Hellyer.html

"silly emotional attachment"? That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. So was Hellyer, for that matter. However, that doesn't change the fact that virtually the entire Canadian Armed Forces who served at the time despises Hellyer to this day.

I have this mental picture of the two of you, you and Paul Hellyer, standing in front of a gathering of our armed forces. They're all carrying torches and getting ready to storm your castle.

Meanwhile, the two of you are on the ramparts, yelling "Take off, eh! You and your silly emotional attachments! Get over it, eh!

I have this mental picture of the two of you, you and Paul Hellyer, standing in front of a gathering of our armed forces. They're all carrying torches and getting ready to storm your castle.

Now I have this mental picture of an embittered military threatening to overthrow Parliament.

And these goofs want to spend how many hundreds of billions on the military?

Now I have this mental picture of an embittered military threatening to overthrow Parliament.

And these goofs want to spend how many hundreds of billions on the military?

they won't be happy until our military spending puts our country into a debt equal to the usa's...

Hellyer said that every army in the world will follow, what followed was bunch of snickering going on behind the backs of our people in (bus) uniforms. This was a shot by trudeau who hated and did not understand the military, to bring them down a notch, and for some strange reason.