Conservatives To restore The Royal Canadians...

Years of lobbying by Canadian veterans have convinced the federal government to restore the names of the Royal Canadian Navy and the Royal Canadian Air Force.

If anyone remembers Paul Hellyer, they will remember the man that nearly destroyed the morale of Royal Canadian Air Force, The Canadian Army and Her Majesties Royal Canadian Navy...

He is also the man who created a absurdly large command infrastructure which has hampered the armed forces to this day.

If anyone knows Hellyer today, they know him as the looney tune UFO nut...

http://www.torontoaircrew.com/Pilot_Class/MarchPast.mp3

Edited by M.Dancer

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone remembers Paul Hellyer, they will remember the man that nearly destroyed the morale of Royal Canadian Air Force, The Royal Canadian Army and Her Majesties Royal Canadian Navy...

He is also the man who created a absurdly large command infrastructure which has hampered the armed forces to this day.

My Dad was navy. His last service was on HMCS Bonneventure, our last carrier. He saw what was coming and got out in 1960. When he saw what Hellyer did it broke his heart! Shows what can happen when you put a civilian in charge of a military who has absolutely no clue about the traditions and values of military servicemen and women.

Guest Derek L

If anyone remembers Paul Hellyer, they will remember the man that nearly destroyed the morale of Royal Canadian Air Force, The Canadian Army and Her Majesties Royal Canadian Navy...

Between Hellyer and PET, I don't know whom was nuttier, though I’m sure the name change will be welcome by many past and present serving members, at the end of the day, the puzzle factory along the Rideau will still be affected inflicted with some bloat that set in under him.....

Guest Derek L

My Dad was navy. His last service was on HMCS Bonneventure, our last carrier. He saw what was coming and got out in 1960. When he saw what Hellyer did it broke his heart! Shows what can happen when you put a civilian in charge of a military who has absolutely no clue about the traditions and values of military servicemen and women.

I think the end of many traditions caused by Hellyer broke many a Heart of Oak......A step in the right direction for sure...

I can't open this contribution so will just go by what you said. I like the idea and hope they are sincere. I also liked it when the armed forces all had their own uniforms.Now they all look alike.

I am going to try online to read this whole story, seems unbelievable that Canada might reverse something to what it was.

Guest Derek L

I can't open this contribution so will just go by what you said. I like the idea and hope they are sincere. I also liked it when the armed forces all had their own uniforms.Now they all look alike.

I am going to try online to read this whole story, seems unbelievable that Canada might reverse something to what it was.

They haven't all looked alike since the late 80s.

Actually-- it was Deef the deaf Chief who ruined the RCAF.

Interesting ... but perhaps stupid. Is Harper such a "royal" fan? He doesn't think much of the GG's power over him, so if he is it's skin deep I expect. Maybe an election promise to the AF/Legion?

One issue comes to mind: Immigrants from former Br. Colonies - eg India - like to think of Canada as independent and won't like more reminders.

Is this important enough to all Canadians to waste our time and money on? I think not.

The aged vets were before the Seantors in the committee meetings asking them to return the name they fought under and I watched one, who told them, I fought under the Royal Canadian Navy NOT the Canadian Navy, so please return the name back.

That's part of it. But there's also the matter of how the 'royal' prefixes were granted as recognition of the branches' service to king and country; why this honour was stripped is a bit of a mystery. Further, since Canada is a constitutional monarchy, it seems right that the names of its navy and air force should carry a 'royal' prefix; it's done in Norway, Australia, Thailand, the UK, Denmark, New Zealand, etc., so why not here?

Between Hellyer and PET...
At the end of WWII, Canada had one of the world's largest military forces. It inevitably had to become smaller because it was unsustainable. This task fell to successive PMs including Trudeau.

I happen to think that Canada should share the burden of defending western security but we should do it on our terms. That is, we should think ahead to future threats independently of our NATO allies who too often seem to have hardware to fight last year's war.

As to the "Royal" designation, I obviously disagree. But Stephen Harper is a WASP PM and if this makes some in English Canada happier, then I suppose that it's a good thing. I would draw the line at putting "Royal" on our mail boxes though.

Edited by August1991

Maybe an election promise to the AF/Legion?
Citation, or more of your BS?
One issue comes to mind: Immigrants from former Br. Colonies - eg India - like to think of Canada as independent and won't like more reminders.

Is this important enough to all Canadians to waste our time and money on? I think not.

I don't think Canadians need to cater to newcomers. They came to us; we didn't send ships to gather them.

At the end of WWII, Canada had one of the world's largest military forces. It inevitably had to become smaller because it was unsustainable. This task fell to successive PMs including Trudeau.

I happen to think that Canada should share the burden of defending western security but we should do it on our terms. That is, we should think ahead to future threats independently of our NATO allies who too often seem to have hardware to fight last year's war.

As to the "Royal" designation, I obviously disagree. But Stephen Harper is a WASP PM and if this makes some in English Canada happier, then I suppose that it's a good thing. I would draw the line at putting "Royal" on our mail boxes though.

I don't really understand why you feel this way, August. Even Levesque and Bouchard liked the monarchy! They just wanted to be an INDEPENDENT Royal Dominion!

Queen Elizabeth and the Royal Family have always expressed love and respect for Quebec. The poem where Quebec's licence plate quote says "I remember" goes on to say that "while I was born under the lily I flourished under the rose..."

So I really wonder why the antipathy towards re-instating the word "Royal". Quebec has as much right to the monarch as the rest of Canada. If Quebec were to ever separate if they so chose as to KEEP the Queen no one would have any right to prevent it!

Actually-- it was Deef the deaf Chief who ruined the RCAF.

Lester Pearson was the first to explore the sameness in the military and it came to pass under Trudeau. He got rid of everything that said royal on it.

Supposedly it was to save a lot of money, but as they had to put millions $ to change everything over I highly doubt they saved any money. Quebec doesn't like anything with the word royal in it.

Interesting ... but perhaps stupid. Is Harper such a "royal" fan? He doesn't think much of the GG's power over him, so if he is it's skin deep I expect. Maybe an election promise to the AF/Legion?

Actually the army has been pressing for this to happen for many years and the senate finally approved.

If Quebec were to ever separate if they so chose as to KEEP the Queen no one would have any right to prevent it!

That assumes that Quebec has a right to separate.

Lester Pearson was the first to explore the sameness in the military and it came to pass under Trudeau. He got rid of everything that said royal on it.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police?