"No kids allowed!" -- Children in Restaurants

kimmy

I saw this on the news last week, and was reminded of it today while having lunch, listening to some toddler whine, shriek, and bang stuff on the table while his mother did... nothing.

Local Restaurant's 'No Kids Allowed' Policy Starts Nationwide Trend

MONROEVILLE, Pa. -- Last month, the owner of McDain's restaurant in Monroeville took a bold move by banning children under 6 years old from the eatery.

McDain's owner Mike Vuich said since the ban has been in place business has increased over 20 percent.

Since then, businesses across the country have jumped on the bandwagon.

The no-kids-allowed movement now has its own Facebook page and restaurants, movie theaters and one airline have enacted similar bans.

Vuich said he thinks he's tapped into anger that's aimed at rude parents, not kids.

This has gained a lot of attention, and has apparently sparked a trend, and controversy as well:

Opinion: I'm a parent, and I get it.

Opinion: If children are barred from certain restaurants, they'll grow up to be murderers and rapists.

Personally, I'm all for it. I've had enough meals ruined by screaming toddlers. I think the restaurant owner's comment is significant:

"...he thinks he's tapped into anger that's aimed at rude parents, not kids."

Kids will be kids, but the rest of us don't need to listen to your little angel's tantrum. The rest of us are sick of your little angel. The majority of parents probably do their best to keep a handle on things, but it doesn't always work. And those parents who just don't give a crap have ruined the situation for other parents who make the effort.

Mr Vuich has identified a market need that was not being met. He's improved his business by addressing it. Good job. Lots of other restaurants will be only too happy to serve the needs of families with young children.

What do you think?

-k

Edited by Charles Anthony
threads + titles merged

I think a ban on parents who cannot deal with their kids would be more appropriate. I mean, to a reasonable extent, babies cry, and young children too. People who cannot suck it up in limited amounts should stop acting like babies themselves, :D .

Anyway, I found this interesting:

3. I see parents struggling with their children’s behavior in many places other than restaurants: shopping malls, grocery stores, doctors’ offices and at the library just to name a few. I’ve been fortunate enough to encounter strangers that have gently reprimanded my children. ("Don’t you treat your parent that way!") This usually sends a very repentant child clinging to Mom or Dad’s leg, while the parent mouths “Thank you.” I’ve always appreciated the shock value, the expression on my kids’ faces when they’ve had a non-related adult intercede on my behalf. It’s validating. Kids no longer think that my rules are simply my rules. They’re society’s rules.

Can any posters who have had children comment on this?

yup I'm all for it, I've taken my kids home when they couldn't be restrained, I wouldn't appreciate if someone else's kids acted like that so I didn't inflict it others...get a baby sitter or go to McDonalds...

there are already restaurants here that don't allow anyone under 18 so it's not a big leap to ban the yard-apes and rug-rats as well...

I think a ban on parents who cannot deal with their kids would be more appropriate. I mean, to a reasonable extent, babies cry, and young children too. People who cannot suck it up in limited amounts should stop acting like babies themselves, :D .

my kids I'll do the discipline thanks...

I think there are all kinds of venues where it is not appropriate for children and parents should be aware of the consequences of the tantrum effect in those that are. Parents must be responsible for their young children's behaviour, there are no exemptions.

I actually did a 'training' session with my kids at a local restaurant when they were young. We went in, they were told how to behave, how to treat the servers and so on. They learned quickly and I have never had a problem. Once the younger ones observed their older siblings on such outings it was that much easier.

Nothing gets a kid back in line like a scolding from a cherished aunt or uncle, sometimes a grandparent.

Edited by Shwa

For those that do not like noisy or unruley children in public places should understand that most children are like this - It is a fact of life - that is why we call them children. If you don't want to have some kid running about - then find a place to go where there are none - like maybe an all gay or "we married but don't plan to have children" resturant. Find a place that is exclusive - I can imagine that these people would not have a problem with well groomed dogs running around and begging for food at each table - how cute --------The trend in Toronto amoung some is that they perfere obedient dogs over noisy kids....I say the park or any public place should be reserved for children first - In all real and older cultures kids are important as are the elders - Here - we dispise kids and see them as a fiscal liablity.

I was at a restaurant in Vancouver with my girlfriend and her folks. A few tables over, there was a family-two parents, grandparents and a child of about 3 or 4. The kid was running around the place and periodically uttering shrill shrieks while mom and dad and grammy and gramps sat by doing nothing. Eventually the manager went over and spoke to them, but they still made no effort to reign in their precious darling snowflake, so the manager went back and sent the lot of them packing, much the consternation of the father who spewed invective all the way out the door. The manager, to his credit, responded with a smile and some free advice "Get a babysitter." It was fantastic and all too rare.

Point is, I hate kids and any measure to keep them out of my face is a welcome one.

You admitt going to CEC? Or was it virtual - I was there with my kids ONCE - twenty five bucks for a peice of bread with some cheeeeeze smeared on it - I felt like I should have started a brawl.

Virtual. Nothing like two Compton birthday parties meeting head-on.

Virtual. Nothing like two Compton birthday parties meeting head-on.

Oh I heard about that - dad got pissed off because the other party arrived late and got it's order first - so pops pulls out his Glock and starts to let off a few caps - America ----------cheeze with holes in it. mmmmm

I agree with the sentiment. But it would be sometimes hard (and controversial to parents because they'd argue about it) to distinguish between parents whose kids are screaming because the parents suck or simply because they are kids.

I suppose restaurants can legally do whatever they want, but i don't get bothered by kids, a bit ridiculous that some people can't stand to be around the natural behaviours of a certain age group of the population. Kids cry and scream, and sometimes you can't stop it. Kudos to the parents who are polite and bring their tikes home when they start to act up, but should they have a right to not bring them home? Tough call.

I suppose restaurants can legally do whatever they want, but i don't get bothered by kids, a bit ridiculous that some people can't stand to be around the natural behaviours of a certain age group of the population. Kids cry and scream, and sometimes you can't stop it.

So if I brought my dog into a restaurant and it started rubbing its asshole on the carpet by your table, you'd be nonplussed by such "natural" behaviour? Why is it "ridiculous" to not want to be assailed by piercing screams, jet engine-volume crying and other kid behaviours?

Kudos to the parents who are polite and bring their tikes home when they start to act up, but should they have a right to not bring them home? Tough call.

They have the right to ignore their kids' behaviour and I have the right to regard them as the selfish boors they are.

Guest American Woman

Point is, I hate kids and any measure to keep them out of my face is a welcome one.

Well then, if you hate kids, we must protect you from them at all costs. ;) And being that you hate kids, I can only assume (hope!) that you don't have any, and won't be having any. Which brings me to another point - it's other people's kids who will be your doctors, your armed forces, your police force, your fire department, your everything. You will have the benefit of other people having put in the time and expense to raise kids that are your future. So if you have to listen to one of those kids in a restaurant/public venue now and then, cry me a river.

--------------------------

Having said that, I can understand higher end restaurants banning kids. I think parents should be wise enough to bring their kids to family-friendly restaurants, but some kids do behave - and would do fine at a high end restaurant. I support an establishment's right to do as they see fit, but I think it will be a mistake if the world becomes too kid-unfriendly. How are kids to learn appropriate behavior if they are never given opportunities? I think parents who can't'/refuse to discipline/control their kids should be asked to leave and not come back. Too many parents these days are too lenient, imo. And about someone else telling my kids to behave - nope. I don't want strangers approaching my kids. As someone else already pointed out, my kids, my discipline. If someone has a problem, they can speak to the manager - who can address the parents.

I agree with the sentiment. But it would be sometimes hard (and controversial to parents because they'd argue about it) to distinguish between parents whose kids are screaming because the parents suck or simply because they are kids.

I suppose restaurants can legally do whatever they want, but i don't get bothered by kids, a bit ridiculous that some people can't stand to be around the natural behaviours of a certain age group of the population. Kids cry and scream, and sometimes you can't stop it. Kudos to the parents who are polite and bring their tikes home when they start to act up, but should they have a right to not bring them home? Tough call.

not so tough IMO...there are restaurants for fine dining where most of us would never dream of taking a kid, there restaurants because of local liquor laws kids under 18 are forbidden and no one complains, there restaurants that require suitable attire, so no one should have an issue with banning kids from fine dining restaurants...there are enough kid friendly places to take the screamers, McD's Burger King, AW, DQ, and a lot more that cater to family dining, if I go to those places for a bite I expect kids to be there, if I go to high end establishment that's going to cost me $100-200 I expect to enjoy my meal in a relaxed quiet atmosphere...I ate in noisy restaurants for 20 yrs while my kids grew up now I want enjoy my meals in peace and quiet...if ya can't keep'em quiet and in their seats leave'm at home...

Well then, if you hate kids, we must protect you from them at all costs. ;) And being that you hate kids, I can only assume (hope!) that you don't have any, and won't be having any.

That's the plan.

Which brings me to another point - it's other people's kids who will be your doctors, your armed forces, your police force, your fire department, your everything. You will have the benefit of other people having put in the time and expense to raise kids that are your future.

They'll also be tomorrow's robbers, rapists, murderers and politicians. What's your point?

So if you have to listen to one of those kids in a restaurant/public venue now and then, cry me a river.

I will. Loudly. At the table next to yours. See how you like it.

Having said that, I can understand higher end restaurants banning kids. I think parents should be wise enough to bring their kids to family-friendly restaurants, but some kids do behave - and would do fine at a high end restaurant. I support an establishment's right to do as they see fit, but I think it will be a mistake if the world becomes too kid-unfriendly. How are kids to learn appropriate behavior if they are never given opportunities?

How about they learn at home?

Long time ago maw a paw took my brother and I to the movies with my infant sister - who was but a baby - she started crying - so Dad did what was normal and got the family together and left. It's like taking the dogs to the park when there are kids or old people there...I don't take the dogs in - I turn around and go home or esle where. It must have been my fathers old motto "There are others" that made me think of someone other than ME.

Use to take the kids to the lake..they would when it was time to get out of the water - refuse...I tried to coax them out - I even brought the car around and pretended to drive away - I even stomped into the water, shoes and all and dragged them out - Once they were doing some loud kid bickering in the back of the car...I pulled into a school parking lot and kicked them out..and again pretended to drive away - I could hear the 8 year old yell from the distance "we have cab fair - ha ha ".... :rolleyes:

My mother and father were not big on spanking nor was I...mum had a way of dealing with small unruley kids..she insisted that you take them firmly by the arm and let them know that you are more powerful than them - and could crush them if neccesary...a show of force need no be about impact blows. A firm hand that is under firm control sometimes works. My parents took great glee in scaring my brother and I to the point we would hide under the bed....dad would gingle his belt buckel - mum would get the broom..we would dash from side to side under the bed to avoid the broom handle and the belt - that some how never made contact - later we figure out is was a sporting thing for the parents to scare us...

Both of my parents were but kids when they left home so they did not have a lot to go on when it came to raising kids. The most severe punishement consisted of being sent up to our loft bed room and being forced to take a kneeling stance facing the wall - some sort of Christian penance I suppose...real old school - you would stay there like some little monk untill you figured out what you did that was such an offence - come to think of it - I really can't rememeber the great evil deed...

I can compare my parents to a couple of vodka drinking tribal types who loved to entice my older brother and I into prolonged wrestling matches - untill the entertainment rebelled one day and we turned on our parents and refused to supply these Scythians with entertainment....other than those chilhood memories - the parents were pretty good...well not really - try growing up with a mother who as a Nazi rape victim - and an army Captian father who had the worst case of post tramatic stress in history. The kids today have it good.

Funny but the few times Iv gotten really annoyed by the behavior of other patrons in a bar or restaurant they are almost ALWAYS teenagers or adults... Usually pretty drunk.

But lets face it. Kids are a pretty easy demographic to go after. They dont make much money, and they dont eat or drink very much or purchase expensive alcholic drinks.

But lets face it. Kids are a pretty easy demographic to go after. They dont make much money, and they dont eat or drink very much

Haha what? Kids eat more than anyone. When I use to go to restaurants with my parents when I was a kid or teen I'd always get like twice as much food as both of them combined. Kids are growing, and eat a lot to fuel that growth.

Of all the great adventures that life has to offer, the raising of kids is the most interesting- what a joy to have had the privledge to have been a parent - and you stay a parent until you are dead - always slightly concerned for the kids even when they are grown - and when you worry you have to say - "Have faith in them, after all it was you that brought them up - if you don't have faith in them you have little for yourself.............This old eastern saying that I have used on occassion is the best yet when it comes to tolerating the squrimmy little bastards - "I do not love him because he is good. I love him because he is MY little child".

Haha what? Kids eat more than anyone. When I use to go to restaurants with my parents when I was a kid or teen I'd always get like twice as much food as both of them combined. Kids are growing, and eat a lot to fuel that growth.

Teenagers can eat ya. I thought we were talking about 6 yearolds though and under. A double rum and coke costs more than a burger and fries at a lot of family restaurants.

If Im a restaurant owner Id rather seat 4 hungry construction workers than a woman with 3 5 or 6 yearolds.

If young kids WERE running up the big tabs, you can be sure proprietors would think twice about banning them.

Edited by dre