who are the rioters?

bud

Incorrect. They earn their money, it is neither given to them from the state or stolen.

Really? All of it? It seems to me many of them don't really earn their money so much as inherit it from those who inherited it. And given the amount of state money poured into subsidies and grants to business, and the way clever people learn to exploit or fudge the rules I'd also argue some of it was stolen, too.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? All of it? It seems to me many of them don't really earn their money so much as inherit it from those who inherited it. And given the amount of state money poured into subsidies and grants to business, and the way clever people learn to exploit or fudge the rules I'd also argue some of it was stolen, too.

Naturally, if you or I were up for that huge inheritance we'd give it all to the United Way...well...perhaps you would.

:lol: :lol:

Naturally, if you or I were up for that huge inheritance we'd give it all to the United Way...well...perhaps you would.

:lol: :lol:

Not a chance. I think people who were poor appreciate money and the freedom it buys a hell of a lot more than those who were born to wealth. I'm not criticizing people for being born to wealth, merely pointing out facts.

Not a chance. I think people who were poor appreciate money and the freedom it buys a hell of a lot more than those who were born to wealth. I'm not criticizing people for being born to wealth, merely pointing out facts.

We can discuss it over Mai Tais @ Bloody Mary's on Bora Bora...my jet or yours?

:)

Edited by DogOnPorch

It is people who have little connection or empathy to others, who are too selfish and narcissistic and too lacking...

...I want to put those people on chain gangs until they decide they'd rather do something else to feed themselves.

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Shwa

Having empathy and sympathy for people being robbed, beaten and burned out, as I do, is not quite the same thing as having empathy and sympathy for those who rob and beat and burn others homes, as you do.

Claiming to have "empathy and sympathy for people" as an anonymous user on the Internet. Yeah right. Show me all the receipts for all the money you have donated to the victims so far. Talk is cheaper eh? LOFL!

Another indignant phoney without a clue is more like it. :lol:

Claiming to have "empathy and sympathy for people" as an anonymous user on the Internet. Yeah right. Show me all the receipts for all the money you have donated to the victims so far. Talk is cheaper eh? LOFL!

Well, if it's coming from you it certainly can't be described as valuable...

Well, certainly the ACCUSATION of my cowardice is completely detached from anything remotely resembling the topic at hand, or any reasonably coherent level of intelligent discussion on your part.

Oh but it is completely relevant to the topic on hand, you're just too fearful and scared to come out of your bubble into the real world to gain any sort of meaningful understanding of those events. You are too busy de-humanizing people so they fit into your neat, orderly, little bubble world.

Mobs pop bubbles. Haven't you heard?

Oh but it is completely relevant to the topic on hand, you're just too fearful and scared to come out of your bubble into the real world to gain any sort of meaningful understanding of those events. You are too busy de-humanizing people so they fit into your neat, orderly, little bubble world.

On the contrary, I believe my description of the likely mentality of the mob is considerably closer to reality than your tearful sympathy for them as poor, misunderstood souls who are the victims of capitalist cruelty.

Well if its coming from you it can certainly be described as cowardly bullshit...

Such a desperately inane reply.

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw

Edited by Thorn

On the contrary, I believe my description of the likely mentality of the mob is considerably closer to reality than your tearful sympathy for them as poor, misunderstood souls who are the victims of capitalist cruelty.

Sorry bubble boy, but your attempts to de-humanize people so they fit your small-minded ideology is not only pathetic, but a touch sociopathic too. The only description you have given is how low a grade your insights really are.

Sorry bubble boy, but your attempts to de-humanize people so they fit your small-minded ideology is not only pathetic, but a touch sociopathic too. The only description you have given is how low a grade your insights really are.

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

George Bernard Shaw

All of this is fair, but my problem is that there is already too much moralizing on these topics and it makes it difficult for people to make progress in the discussion.

Well I thought we were having a fairly intelligent discussion on probing what's at the heart of the matter. I don't expect either of us to come up with real answers. Just food for thought.

On the other hand I don't understand your criticism that "it makes it difficult for people to make progress in the discussion". Did you read the next 20 or so posts? How's this for making progress?

Another indignant phoney without a clue is more like it. :lol:

He is likely just a reinvented ML poster who has been beaten down before. I would suggest he is just another member of the Lictardians.

An excellent exchange of opinions in the Post regarding the motivations for the wastrels and scruff who were rioting last week.

I do not believe the rioters were either “alienated” or “ignored.” To be alienated, one must have an actual grievance. This generation of Brits has the opposite of a grievance. They feel entitled because they have not been ignored enough. The extensive social safety net is the problem. They have no responsibilities and no purpose. As those quoted in news reports made clear, there was no grand social or economic issue here. People saw a chance to get free TVs and they took it. The spirit was one of a fun happening, not any ideological or political crisis. Some of them blamed “the system” but it was clear that was just a mantra, a meaningless catch-all to cover the fact there was no reason at all for the rioting and vandalism.

Full Comment

He is likely just a reinvented ML poster who has been beaten down before. I would suggest he is just another member of the Lictardians.

Another cranky old man who learned to use the Internet last week. Talking about feelings of entitlement. LOFL! :D