Canada's political system vs. US political system

I dont think its really the American MODEL itself that causes that. Political systems degrade in effectiveness over time because special interests find way to game them. The problem in the US is elections are so long and so expensive.

But that stems from the fact that the US system itself has rigidly fixed election dates, unlike the Westminster model, wherein an election can come about at any time.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that stems from the fact that the US system itself has rigidly fixed election dates, unlike the Westminster model, wherein an election can come about at any time.

That's a good point. I haven't thought of that. How will that affect us now..now that we have a quasi fixed date?

That's a good point. I haven't thought of that. How will that affect us now..now that we have a quasi fixed date?

Well, in reality, we still don't have fixed election dates, despite the spin that was put on that amendment to the Elections Act in 2007. All we have now are two maximum limits to the life of a parliament: The constitution puts it at five years and the Canada Elections Act (after the aforementioned amendment) puts it at the third Monday in October in the fourth year following the summoning of that parliament. However, the latter quite specifically states that its provisions shall not infringe upon the governor general's ability to dissolve parliament and drop the writs, meaning an election can still happen at any point before the four year limit is reached, as we saw in 2008 and earlier this year.

Guest American Woman

The majority of Americans never leave the country, even once, for their whole lives. In fact, a good number of them never even leave their home counties. What does that tell you?

It tells me that you don't know what you're talking about.

It might be based on the stat that says under 40% of americans hold a passport....canadians who hold a passport is around 42%....this is off the top of my head...but near to the mark.

It is also an irrelevant sidebar...you can see as much in the USA as you can in Europe.

I was merely responding to bush's condescension.

It might be based on the stat that says under 40% of americans hold a passport....canadians who hold a passport is around 42%....this is off the top of my head...but near to the mark.

It is also an irrelevant sidebar...you can see as much in the USA as you can in Europe.

Last I checked it was about +50% for Canada. Regardless, it has nothing to do with the discussion so I'll drop it.

You cant even compare the two really. Apples and oranges. The US had breathtaking scenery but not as tourist friendly. And the great thing aboug Europe is all the crazy old architecture.

I think you could argue that at the current time the American system is checked but not balanced...

As an American, I could not have said it better. My country has been taken over by tyrants and wackjob right-wing fundamentalists. I apologize for the economic damage we are about to do to earth. I had nothing to do with it and I am currently researching coming to your country to restart my life. I lost my job to third-world slave labor and I am a graphic artist, not a factory worker. I am close to becoming homeless if things do not get better soon.

If we killed the Senate and just stayed with the House of Representatives, killed the electoral college and move to a pure democracy (we are a republic like you) there would be more balance. Allow me to explain.

A true democracy is where the PEOPLE have direct say in legislation and all matters involving the state. A republic is where democratically elected officials make decisions on behalf of the people REGARDLESS of the will of the people. They are not beholden to public opinion and that is the problem.

Keep in mind that my country was founded by rich, white, slave-owning, landowners. It was carefully crafted to enure "equality" while still putting the bulk of power and influence with the few. In fact, our first dozen or so presidents were not elected at all by the people but ONLY by the electoral college as they felt that the general populace was too ignorant to possibly know what was good for them. Unfortunately, many of those in power still feel that same way.

If my country's people had a spine, they would vote to end the Senate and the electoral college and force the government to accept that WE have the power to hire and fire politicians at will and when they do not coincide with the majority, they get replaced with one who will. That, my Canadian friends, is what a democracy is supposed to be. When the people directly elect their officials, it is guaranteed that the majority will always have the greater voice and those in the minority have the right to spread their word to gain more influence in legislation. That is freedom. The truth is that there will always be people who will end up on the shit end of the stick. This is inevitable in a democracy but the beauty of it is that the minority will always have a voice.

My country has failed. Learn from this and do not let radical right-wing fundamentalists infiltrate your great society. I can only hope that you would be willing to accept me as a citizen.

Edited by DejectedAmerican

...My country has failed. Learn from this and do not let radical right-wing fundamentalists infiltrate your great society. I can only hope that you would be willing to accept me as a citizen.

They will, but you better have a job and a sponsor first. Ain't no free handouts in Canada for ex-pat Americans. Start here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

They will, but you better have a job and a sponsor first. Ain't no free handouts in Canada for ex-pat Americans. Start here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

Thank you for the link, my friend. I am no slacker. I will work my balls off. I just want a life and opportunity.

I must admit that I am scared of your display name. Bush and Cheney are two of the most evil people on earth. They sent 3000 American troops to their death for what they blatantly knew was lie. It was always over oil. Here is a link to reading material. This book pissed me off. You can download directly to a smartphone with the Kindle Reader free app:

http://www.amazon.com/Hubris-Inside-Story-Scandal-Selling/dp/030734682X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313118552&sr=8-1

This will blow your mind and possibly change your view on those monsters.

Edited by DejectedAmerican

Thank you for the link, my friend. I am no slacker. I will work my balls off. I just want a life and opportunity.

I must admit that I am scared of your display name. Bush and Cheney are two of the most evil people on earth. They sent 3000 American troops to their death for what they blatantly knew was lie. It was always over oil. Here is a link to reading material. This book pissed me off. You can download directly to a smartphone with the Kindle Reader free app:

http://www.amazon.com/Hubris-Inside-Story-Scandal-Selling/dp/030734682X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313118552&sr=8-1

Dont bet on it. BC just picked that name to annoy liberals and canadians. I doubt he was ever a big fan of those guys.

Edited by dre

I must admit that I am scared of your display name. Bush and Cheney are two of the most evil people on earth.

That's the idea....I guess it worked.

They sent 3000 American troops to their death for what they blatantly knew was lie. It was always over oil.

It wasn't just oil, but that is reason enough.

Not likely...America is the same as it ever was.

...which was in response to your ignorance on American travel.

I was referring to:

Well....Canadian politics is a joke too but very funny....but the difference is that most Americans don't know, don't care, and don't care that they don't know what happens in Canada.

My comment on US travel habits, however exaggerated, was meant to highlight how it's not just Canada Americans don't care about. They don't seem to know or care much about the world in general, or even their own country for that matter.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/foundation/pdf/NGSRoper2006Report.pdf

Highlights:

50% of Americans 18-24 can't locate New York State on a map

50% can't locate Mississipi

30% don't know where Lousiana is

40% of the same don't know the Amazon is in South America

30% can't locate China on a map marked with clear borders (only the country name is missing)

20% can't locate the Pacific Ocean???

10% can't locate the US on a map???

33% of them think the US population is between 1 to 2 billion people....

Anyways, there are all sorts of interesting facts in the study but I won't highlight any more of them. Personally, I think if you'd ever travelled much or taken even a basic interest in the affairs of the world, some of this stuff would come naturally...but whatever.

Edited by Moonbox

They are not beholden to public opinion and that is the problem.

Odd. And here I thought the elections those people must go through and win in order to become representatives were an expression of public opinion and those candidates always want to be on the right side of it.

If my country's people had a spine, they would vote to end the Senate.

I'm pretty sure the states would have something to say against that idea.

[+]

Edited by g_bambino

....Anyways, there are all sorts of interesting facts in the study but I won't highlight any more of them. Personally, I think if you'd ever travelled much or taken even a basic interest in the affairs of the world, some of this stuff would come naturally...but whatever.

Good, because the affairs of the United States seem to be more important to some Canadians as well. The Americans had no difficulty finding Iraq or Afghanistan on a map, giving hitchhiking Canadians a free ride to the latter. There is also an American flag on the Moon and Mars! ;)

Good, because the affairs of the United States seem to be more important to some Canadians as well.

Well I'm certainly not a member of any American political forums. Why are you here again? Seems you've taken an interest....

The Americans had no difficulty finding Iraq or Afghanistan on a map, giving hitchhiking Canadians a free ride to the latter.

It seems 6/10 Americans COULDN'T find either on a map. As for how Canadians 'hitched' a ride to Afghanistan, I'm not sure what that has to do with how little the Americans know of the world at large. Did confirmation of general American ignorance, from an American source, sting? Did making fun of our military equipment somehow vindicate you? Whatever floats your boat. :blink:

There is also an American flag on the Moon and Mars! ;)

With the help of Canadian engineers, some of whom headed their departments within the Apollo program. That must be galling!

Well I'm certainly not a member of any American political forums. Why are you here again? Seems you've taken an interest....

Because this forum eats, breathes, and shyts all things American...that's why. I could drop dead right now and America would still dominate the forum landscape.

It seems 6/10 Americans COULDN'T find either on a map. As for how Canadians 'hitched' a ride to Afghanistan, I'm not sure what that has to do with how little the Americans know of the world at large. Did confirmation of general American ignorance, from an American source, sting? Did making fun of our military equipment somehow vindicate you? Whatever floats your boat.

Making "fun" of your own military is a far greater travesty....I'll bet more Canadians know the way to an Iltis jeep dealer too! ;)

With the help of Canadian engineers, some of whom headed their departments within the Apollo program. That must be galling!

Not at all....the smartest Canadians knew where to go on a map after the Avro Arrow fiasco. The lead guy was a captured Nazi scientist....now we know why you didn't go to Canada, ya Werner?!

Edited by bush_cheney2004

If we had an elected senate, would we have the same impasses that we see in the U.S. political system?

Good article at yahoo.com about this:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/u-debt-ceiling-impasse-exposes-benefits-canada-parliamentary-152937537.html

I believe we need not senates, nor MPs.

What we need is an web voting system for every law that is proposed.

We need not the representatives, they are not able to represent us.

We want to represent ourselves by us own.