What's wrong with Support our Troops stickers on government vehicl

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange, then, that both the BBC and CBC were reporting that there was widespread fraud in the last Afghan presidential election and enough Afghans called for a run-off vote that one was actually held.

There has been two elections in Afghan todate, the first one in which i'm refing was NATO controled, as there was no elected government at the time...

It still, though, doesn't help support Army Guy's statement that Karzai, the "asshole buddy that we are backing up", as someone put it (I'm not sure who, since Army Guy doesn't quote properly), is a president elected by the majority of Afghan voters.

The Media reports alot of things, and while the entire election may not of been up to western standards, it was over looked by members of many countries including Elections Canada, RCMP, DND, and our Governmental staff in Afghan...

In the end Karzai was the guy with the most votes...

There has been two elections in Afghan todate, the first one in which i'm refing...

Ah. It was the second election I was talking about; hence I said "the last Afghan presidential election."

In the end Karzai was the guy with the most votes...

Well, I still hold that we can't be certain of that. It wasn't just one media outlet that reported the 2009 election was thought to be fraudulent, many Afghans were saying it was, and I recall politicians in the UK, the US, and Canada complaining that this kind of thing was a let-down, after all the effort that had been previously invested into putting Afghanistan on the path towards a stable, sound democracy; it was, in fact, the US that pushed for the run-off vote to be held. Of course, Karzai won that poll, but only because his rival removed himself from the race, leaving Karzai as the sole contestant; he won by default. Those aren't exactly the circumstances that give one confidence in either the validity of the current president or the country's future.

That's still a vast improvement over what prevailed before.

It's slight - but the Afghans might have gotten the message - that corruption does not lead to over all prosperity - all nations were corruption is ecceptable are all second rate - we at least have to make an effort to be honest- I hope that Afghanistan has contracted the good virus we provided..we planted a seed - and now it is up to them to survive well - or suffer as they have for a thousand years.

Nope, not me.

Hmm.. When I thought you might be drunk, I was just giving you the benefit of the doubt. But it turns out your gibberish really is just a purposeful evasion of the subject: You aren't forced to stay here and pay taxes that, in part, fund the military. Why you can't accept as extant that one alternative to your woes is beyond me.

Hmm.. When I thought you might be drunk, I was just giving you the benefit of the doubt. But it turns out your gibberish really is just a purposeful evasion of the subject: You aren't forced to stay here and pay taxes that, in part, fund the military. Why you can't accept as extant that one alternative to your woes is beyond me.

Don't give to much credit that the person does things with a purpose..to evade...might just be under the weather of slightly dull...my mistake most of my life was giving to much credit to those that had none...sometimes you have to except the idea that some are just not with it..that way there will be less disappointment in your fellow human being. Don't expect to much - expect nothing and you might get something.

It because you're a right-winger that it's beyond you. It's not your fault you can't help yourself.

It because you're a right-winger that it's beyond you.

This is a common non sequitur for you; anytime someone says something you don't like, you hurl the "right-winger" label at them, as though it's a) founded, B) relevant, and c) a pejorative.

Completely apart from whatever "winger" I am, or, indeed, whether I am one or not, the fact remains: if you don't like paying taxes that, in part, fund the military, one alternative available to you is departure from the country.

[emotes off]

Edited by g_bambino

This is a common non sequitur for you; anytime someone says something you don't like, you hurl the "right-winger" label at them, as though it's a) founded, B) relevant, and c) a pejorative.

Completely apart from whatever "winger" I am, or, indeed, whether I am one or not, the fact remains: if you don't like paying taxes that, in part, fund the military, one alternative available to you is departure from the country.

[emotes off]

You keep saying that as if were a) founded, B) relevant, and c) a pejorative, but I'm still here.

You keep saying that as if were... founded.

Indeed it is. After all, you did not answer in the affirmative when I asked if you had been denied a passport.

I'm still here.

Apparently so. I trust, though, we'll hear no more whining from you about you being forced to pay taxes that, in part, support the military.

[+]

Edited by g_bambino

Indeed it is. After all, you did not answer in the affirmative when I asked if you had been denied a passport.

No, I have a passport.

Apparently so. I trust, though, we'll hear no more whining from you about you being forced to pay taxes that, in part, support the military.

Oh I doubt that.

True, I don't recall the Bosnians threatenting to take our freedoms away

Your right, but then again we never went to war with the Bosnians...We may have assisted them put their country back together through the UN and NATO....

Your right, but then again we never went to war with the Bosnians...We may have assisted them put their country back together through the UN and NATO....

We "may" have. Maj-Gen. Lewis MacKenzie thinks we may have not!

"Years ago our television screens were dominated by pictures of Kosovo-Albanian refugees escaping across Kosovo's borders to the sanctuaries of Macedonia and Albania. Shrill reports indicated that Slobodan Milosevic's security forces were conducting a campaign of genocide and that at least 100,000 Kosovo-Albanians had been exterminated and buried in mass graves throughout the Serbian province. NATO sprung into action and, in spite of the fact no member nation of the alliance was threatened, commenced bombing not only Kosovo, but the infrastructure and population of Serbia itself -- without the authorizing United Nations resolution so revered by Canadian leadership, past and present."

We "may" have. Maj-Gen. Lewis MacKenzie thinks we may have not!

"Years ago our television screens were dominated by pictures of Kosovo-Albanian refugees escaping across Kosovo's borders to the sanctuaries of Macedonia and Albania. Shrill reports indicated that Slobodan Milosevic's security forces were conducting a campaign of genocide and that at least 100,000 Kosovo-Albanians had been exterminated and buried in mass graves throughout the Serbian province. NATO sprung into action and, in spite of the fact no member nation of the alliance was threatened, commenced bombing not only Kosovo, but the infrastructure and population of Serbia itself -- without the authorizing United Nations resolution so revered by Canadian leadership, past and present."

You realize that Bosnia and kosovo are two separate events?

But then again, there is much you don't recall you say..

Staying and doing something is also an option, of course. But, his statement - a complaint, actually, rather than a criticism - was that he pays taxes against his will. In fact, he doesn't.

In fact I do pay taxes and every penny that goes to support the troops in Afghanistan goes there against my will.

In the meantime wouldn't war bonds and super-majority referendums give the troops the kind of unequivocal support they really need, to know they truly are good to go deep in the hearts and minds of Canadians willing to invest in and vote for the mission?

Personally, I think any government that would willingly join such a morally ambiguous conflict is either nuts or stupid or as venal and corrupt as the super-power's administrations who's machinations were the root causes of this conflict in the first place.

If my fellow countrymen actually voted - in the manner I've prescribed - to enter this conflict, I probably would be keeping my mouth shut and putting my passport to use lest I get rounded up by some right-wing death-squad that didn't cotton to people bad-mouthing their side.

Edited by eyeball

Yes I know that. Two events that our military was involved in. I want you to explain how we fought for our freedom there. You know, how "we fight wars overseas so we don't have to fight them here..."

:rolleyes:

Did I claim that FRY was where we were fighting for our own freedom?

....you know, when they did fight for our freedom, one of the freedoms would have been a Liberal education....don't let their sacrifice be in vain...