Islamification of Toronto?

Shwa

I thought I had posted this as a topic already, but guess I didn't. However, it is an interesting issue since it touches on all those sensitive bits in society, especially nowadays.

Protesters oppose Muslim prayer in public schools

They waved signs that warned of “creeping jihad” and proclaimed “Islam must be reformed or banned.”

They chanted — “No Islam in our schools”; “No Mohamed in our schools”; “No Sharia law in our country.”

About 100 protesters, many from groups such as the Jewish Defense League, the Christian Heritage Party and Canadian Hindu Advocacy, came to the Toronto District School Board Monday evening to protest its approval of formal Friday prayer services for Muslim students at Valley Park Middle School.

Standing at the back of the crowds, far from the megaphone-wielding speakers, York University students Mariam Hamaoui and Sarah Zubaira had their own signs espousing their right to pray in school.

They came to thank the school board for providing a place for the Valley Park students to pray. Previously those students had left their school to attend prayers at a nearby mosque on Fridays.

So it is not against the law to have prayer in public schools in Ontario, you just can't force anyone into it AND you can't have religious services, but you can accomodate prayers and other services I suppose.

The neighbourhood is almost all Muslim. Should we worry?

The idea of homogenous Muslim neighborhoods isn't quite the "mosaic" we multicultural-loving Canadians were sold on, is it?

I don't think homogenous ethnic enclaves in our cities is a good idea. People become Canadianized by mixing amongst Canadians.

-k

• Like 1

I thought I had posted this as a topic already, but guess I didn't. However, it is an interesting issue since it touches on all those sensitive bits in society, especially nowadays.

Protesters oppose Muslim prayer in public schools

So it is not against the law to have prayer in public schools in Ontario, you just can't force anyone into it AND you can't have religious services, but you can accomodate prayers and other services I suppose.

And what about the Separate Cathoic school?

• Like 1

What I don't get is how we all go bonkers over a school accommodating prayer, yet have no issue with the Canadian constitution requiring the monarch to be a member of the Church of England, prohibiting the monarch from marrying a Catholic, and granting special education rights to Catholics not guaranteed to other religions, and you don't hear a whisper about that.

The idea of homogenous Muslim neighborhoods isn't quite the "mosaic" we multicultural-loving Canadians were sold on, is it?

I don't think homogenous ethnic enclaves in our cities is a good idea. People become Canadianized by mixing amongst Canadians.

-k

Ghettoes may have more than one force at play. In order for an ethnic ghetto to be born, not only do people from that ethnicity have to move there, but oft times people from other ethnicities have to move away, and refrain from moving there in the first place. Ethnic ghettoes, except in the instance of new construction, are not created by one ethnicity.

• Like 1

Look at the makeup of the protesters - Christian Heritage party, JDL, and the one Hindu who represents no one. They are anti-Muslim extremists opposed to Islam, not just prayer in schools. However, the issue is real and will likely lead to accommodation of prayer for all religious groups demanding it. I'm not opposed to that but I have concerns about social pressure on other children to participate because then we're back to schools indoctrinating children which I oppose.

Does it matter who was protesting, was it these same groups that protested to remove christian prayer in schools...i think this matter is already been discussed and changed for the majority...if it gets over turned then i think we will have a shit storm...

Does it matter who was protesting, was it these same groups that protested to remove christian prayer in schools...i think this matter is already been discussed and changed for the majority...if it gets over turned then i think we will have a shit storm...

I doubt very much the Christian Heritage Party was protesting Christian Paryer in school.

It's not required by the school and voluntary for those who wish to attend. I'm not really sure how I feel about it, does it fall under the heading of reasonable accomodation? Is it reasonable for the students to leave for a Mosque for an hour during the middle of the day?

Our churches are run down and in disrepair. Islam has the finest buildings ..that are thriving...My son - who briefly attended a school for the first time in an urban setting - was told by a Muslim kid - preparing for prayer during school - on school property in the washroom - ritually bathing his feet said to my blonde haired boy - "My feet are cleaner than your face" - this aggresive and insulting attitude is pervasive in toronto - at least when my kid attended his original school in the country north of the city - they had a Christmas celebration - there were bag pipes - there was OUR tradtion (adoped by assimulated immigrants) such as myself....so - we get pushed out and they take over - Because they view us as infidels and weaklings..we are a push over... I say - If we can not have Jesus or Moses in the school - then certainly we should NOT have Mohamid there either.

Of course it is an issue - it is class warfare...The Islamics are bound and determined to displace the established inhabitants of this weak and liberal nation...I know of another Muslim kid and his father instructed him to breed the Canadians out of existance - odd part is - The westernized Muslim kid...is a gay as it gets...I wonder what will win - western debachery that not well orgainized or corporate Islam that is totally orgainized and focused?

Most Muslims who are new arrivals live in the poor parts of town and the only Canadians that they are exposed to is our white trash losers - some believe that we are all trash..there must be an educational program in place to explain that Canada is a noble nation.

It's not required by the school and voluntary for those who wish to attend. I'm not really sure how I feel about it, does it fall under the heading of reasonable accomodation? Is it reasonable for the students to leave for a Mosque for an hour during the middle of the day?

The question and only question in my mind is would a similar allowance be made for christians, jews, mormans, scientologists, jevoha's eye witnesses.....

I rather doubt it

Wow Oleg that was two posts of anecdotal and mostly false information. Not all Churches are run down. Maybe in the limp wristed United and Anglican sects. But I know of many fine Christian churches that are thriving.

And new Muslims to Canada certainly aren't all low income. Go to the Erindale/Streetsville region of Mississauga.

This doesn't worry me but I'm sure groups would oppose a group of Christians doing the same thing.

Also apparently the Imam who is doing these teaching has links to extremist groups.

What would be worrisome about what this school is doing is how they treat the girls involved, making them sit in the back and such. I'm sure any group other than Muslims wouldn't get away with that kind of discrimination.

The question and only question in my mind is would a similar allowance be made for christians, jews, mormans, scientologists, jevoha's eye witnesses.....

I rather doubt it

If there is a demand from parents, it will have to be accommodated. However, it is not a school function: Schools can teach about world religions but they cannot indoctrinate students in a particular religion nor demand prayer. Parents can demand time/space for compulsory religious observance that is supervised by them or someone they choose. And you can bet school officials across Ontario are fully aware that they will now face such demands. Edited by jacee

Our churches are run down and in disrepair. Islam has the finest buildings ..that are thriving...My son - who briefly attended a school for the first time in an urban setting - was told by a Muslim kid - preparing for prayer during school - on school property in the washroom - ritually bathing his feet said to my blonde haired boy - "My feet are cleaner than your face" - this aggresive and insulting attitude is pervasive in toronto - at least when my kid attended his original school in the country north of the city - they had a Christmas celebration - there were bag pipes - there was OUR tradtion (adoped by assimulated immigrants) such as myself....so - we get pushed out and they take over - Because they view us as infidels and weaklings..we are a push over... I say - If we can not have Jesus or Moses in the school - then certainly we should NOT have Mohamid there either.

Oh come on. One kid acts in an insulting fashion, and suddenly you decide he represents Islam?

Also, if local mosques are well-kept and local churches are run-down, whose fault is that?

And as for immigrants assimilating, most of us assimilated to a transplanted European culture.

I rather doubt it

Of course it should be done for all religions equally. In the case of Christians however, we have a constitutional provision ensuring that the monarch be a member of a Christian Chursh, and that Christian communities at least in some provinces are guaranteed their own separate school system. Muslims don't have that.

But not THE Christian Chush [sic :lol: - too much communion wine today father ?].

Catholics can't sit on the throne. And now you have had your ironic desert.

Thanks for the correction. Odd though that the same constitution that guarantees Catholics a special privilege in education rights, it bans the same Catholics from marrying the reigning monarch.

In the case of Christians however, we have a constitutional provision ensuring that the monarch be a member of a Christian Chursh, and that Christian communities at least in some provinces are guaranteed their own separate school system. Muslims don't have that.

So what? If muslims want to forma parochial school on their own, their is nothing stopping them. Keeping in mind that at one time, it was the taxes of catholics that funded the catholic schools...

So what? If muslims want to forma parochial school on their own, their is nothing stopping them. Keeping in mind that at one time, it was the taxes of catholics that funded the catholic schools...

The big "so-what" is that a Catholic can send his kids to a public Catholic school covered on his taxes, whereas with any other religion, he must pay out of pocket and forfeit the taxes he pays into the public system.

The big "so-what" is that a Catholic can send his kids to a public Catholic school covered on his taxes, whereas with any other religion, he must pay out of pocket and forfeit the taxes he pays into the public system.

Well I certainly agree that if someone send their child to a private school, they should be able to receive a generous tax break.