Islamification of Toronto?

Shwa

8 hours ago, Machjo said:

The Government of Canada reneged on its promise to give land to those Germans after their work, so they perished. As for Chinook Wawa, it remained the dominant language for a time after the establishment of the residential school system and the Chinese Exclusion Act but Wawa did begin its slow decline after that.

My point is that these groups would have been assimilated in any case, as was the case for most minority communities in Canada until the modern era. Usually, the children of immigrants quickly learned English and after a couple generations immigrant languages often faded into insignificance. In addition to Irish and French ancestry in my family's background, there is also Portuguese ancestry. French has survived in some branches of the family, mainly in Quebec and due to immersion programs has recently re-emerged in Ontario, where when my paternal grandfather was raising his children it was banned in the school system. But I can't think of a single relative who speaks or understands Portuguese.

12 hours ago, turningrite said:

My point is that these groups would have been assimilated in any case, as was the case for most minority communities in Canada until the modern era. Usually, the children of immigrants quickly learned English and after a couple generations immigrant languages often faded into insignificance. In addition to Irish and French ancestry in my family's background, there is also Portuguese ancestry. French has survived in some branches of the family, mainly in Quebec and due to immersion programs has recently re-emerged in Ontario, where when my paternal grandfather was raising his children it was banned in the school system. But I can't think of a single relative who speaks or understands Portuguese.

The simple fact that the Government of Canada took such fanatical steps suggests that even it believed that it needed to implement such cruel measures to ensure the spread of English and French because these languages were not yet fully established across Canada at the time. Consider the German schools in Berlin Ontario and the Ukrainian prairie communities.

Edited by Machjo

42 minutes ago, Machjo said:

The simple fact that the Government of Canada took such fanatical steps suggest that even it believed that it needed to implement such cruel measures ti ensure the spread of English and French because these languages were not yet fully established across Canada at the time. Consider the German schools in Berlin Ontario and the Ukrainian prairie communities.

Well, perhaps. Immigration-based societies, like the U.S., Canada and Australia, comprised of peoples of diverse ethnicities, were a rather novel concept in the the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The Americans experienced spasms of insecurity about the impacts of immigration, particularly from non-Anglo and, particularly, non-Western societies, as exemplified by the Chinese Exclusion Act, which was enacted by Congress in 1882. Canada followed suit much later, in 1923, by implementing similar legislation. Australia's Parliament passed an Immigration Restriction Act, which formed the genesis of its 'White Australia Policy', in 1901, the year the country became an independent dominion. Interestingly, labour unions were among the strongest supporters of restrictive immigration policies.

Edited by turningrite

12 hours ago, turningrite said:

Well, perhaps. Immigration-based societies, like the U.S., Canada and Australia, comprised of peoples of diverse ethnicities, were a rather novel concept in the the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The Americans experienced spasms of insecurity about the impacts of immigration, particularly from non-Anglo and, particularly, non-Western societies, as exemplified by the Chinese Exclusion Act, which was enacted by Congress in 1882. Canada followed suit much later, in 1923, by implementing similar legislation. Australia's Parliament passed an Immigration Restriction Act, which formed the genesis of its 'White Australia Policy', in 1901, the year the country became an independent dominion. Interestingly, labour unions were among the strongest supporters of restrictive immigration policies.

So in other words, English domiinance in this country is far more recent than we like to admit to, so let's stop revising our history. Anglo dominance reached its peak only in the 1960s and then plateaued as the Indian Residential School system started to wind down and the Government reformed its immigration policy to give preference to the English and French languages over British nationality.

In other words, up until the 1960s, the Government was not just trying to maintain the gains of English but was in fact trying to spread it to where it was not yet even establish. It was't about preserving English identity but rather about promoting, spreading, and building it through a process of nation building. It was trying to build something that was never there initially, not to preserve something that was already there.

Since the 1960's, the political clamour to protect English really comes down to trying to maintain the gains that were so cruelly acquired until the 1960s. When we consider the extreme measures that the state had to implement to spread English, are we really prepared to go back to those measures today? English is now experiencing some rollback even in Nunavut (hardly an immigrant enclave). We spread English there through the residential school system, so it should come as no surprise that it would retreat with the abrogation of that system. How far are we prepared to go to reclaim the gains made up to the 1960s?

Edited by Machjo

20 minutes ago, Machjo said:

So in other words, English domiinance in these countries is far more recent than we like ti admit to, si let.s stop revising our history. Anglo dominance reached its peak only in the 1960s and then plateaued as the Indian Residential School system started to wind down and the Government reformed its immigration policy to give preference to the English and French languages over British nationality.

In other words, up until the 1960s, the Government was not just trying to maintain the gains of English but was in fact trying to spread it ti where it was not yet even establish. It was't about preserving English identity but rather about promoting, spreading, and building it through a process of nation building. It was trying ti build something that was never there initially, not to preserve something that was already there.

Since the 1960's, the political clamour to protect English really comes down ti trying to maintain the gains that were so cruelly acquired until the 1960s. When we consider the extreme measures that the state had to implement to spread English, are we really prepared ti go back to those measures today? English is now experiencing some rollback even in Nunavut (hardly an immigrant enclave). We spread English there through the residential school system, so it should come as no surprise that it would retreat with the abrogation of that system. How far are we prepared to go to reclaim the gains made up to the 1960s?

i don't have the time right now to fully engage in this debate, but I think your sociological perspective is quite skewed here. English dominance was rendered inevitable by British colonial rule in places like North America, Australia and New Zealand, just as Spanish linguistic dominance was rendered inevitable in places where Spain's empire once ruled. The pressure to build functional and cohesive societies was no doubt perceived as requiring an interlocutory language in both cases. Who are we to castigate such realities as dominant languages have throughout the history displaced other languages? At one point, multiple languages were spoken in Europe that either no longer exist or have been reduced to near insignificance, largely as a result of the emergence of dominant ethnic nation states like France. There are limits to the functionality and efficacy of ethno-linguistic diversity. These limits haven't been invented by any particular group or for any particularly nefarious reason, other perhaps in the latter instance than where various colonial powers suppressed indigenous languages and traditions.

• 2 weeks later...

On the original post really Toronto, Islamic group wants prayer spaces in thev subway. .so where would they put them and who pays..  well they want partitions in washrooms but  I imagine that's just the beginning 

https://www.change.org/p/toronto-transit-commission-prayer-spaces-in-subway-station-decd33fd-5df8-4883-82fa-1168a5730ae9

Edited by scribblet

1 hour ago, scribblet said:

On the original post really Toronto, Islamic group wants prayer spaces in thev subway. .so where would they put them and who pays..  well they want partitions in washrooms but  I imagine that's just the beginning.  

The 'beginning' was when the government tried to says something against Islamophobia (because of the six gunned down in a Quebec mosque, (which was practically ignored by the media in comparison with the Boston Marathon bombing) and were shouted down because of 'freedom of speech' or something.

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

The 'beginning' was when the government tried to says something against Islamophobia (because of the six gunned down in a Quebec mosque, (which was practically ignored by the media in comparison with the Boston Marathon bombing) and were shouted down because of 'freedom of speech' or something.

Are you saying the "accommodation" push only emerged after the Quebec mosque shooting and the politically opportunistic M-103 (which was clearly a progressive dog-whistle)? If so, surely you jest. But your post is so poorly written that I can't figure out the actual point you're trying to make.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 1:48 PM, scribblet said:

On the original post really Toronto, Islamic group wants prayer spaces in thev subway. .so where would they put them and who pays..  well they want partitions in washrooms but  I imagine that's just the beginning 

https://www.change.org/p/toronto-transit-commission-prayer-spaces-in-subway-station-decd33fd-5df8-4883-82fa-1168a5730ae9

Subway's now? Where next? Pretty soon we will all have to put up with some Imam chanting from some loud speaker from a mosque somewhere in your neighborhood. Muslims everywhere will be dropping to their knees and start praying to Allah. Every thing will have to come to a halt and we will all have to wait for them to stop their praying so we infidels can then go on our infidel ways. We ain't seen real traffic grid lock yet. :lol: 

Taxme you will be pleased to know years ago there was a young man in a full brown SA uniform who would walk up and down the Bloor platform with a Nazi flag. His mistake was I was on the same side of the subway. The discussion did not last very long. No one has seem him since that day I ran into him. Moral of the story: I wouldn't worry about some fringe individual who wants to pray in the subway system there is always someone to accidentally walk over them with the overcrowding.

Edited by Rue

On 2/7/2019 at 2:45 PM, Rue said:

Taxme you will be pleased to know years ago there was a young man in a full brown SA uniform who would walk up and down the Bloor platform with a Nazi flag. His mistake was I was on the same side of the subway. The discussion did not last very long. No one has seem him since that day I ran into him. Moral of the story: I wouldn't worry about some fringe individual who wants to pray in the subway system there is always someone to accidentally walk over them with the overcrowding.

But would you confront the Muslim if he were down praying on his carpet and chanting to Allah on the subway floor and in the way of several people who are taking a subway like you did with the guy carrying the Nazi flag? Maybe you should have left him alone and waited for him to be accidentally walked on. I wonder if he would have appeared again? Just asking. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:18 PM, taxme said:

But would you confront the Muslim if he were down praying on his carpet and chanting to Allah on the subway floor and in the way of several people who are taking a subway like you did with the guy carrying the Nazi flag? Maybe you should have left him alone and waited for him to be accidentally walked on. I wonder if he would have appeared again? Just asking. 

This just in. No one is praying in the subway on a carpet Taxme but people did get together in a large prayer circle to acknowledge the massacre in Christchurch.

The more you hate the more you will cause the opposite reaction. I have people coming up to me Taxme today as we speak saying hey are you a Jew? Wow..caan I have your autograph and tell me are those Matzah balls?

Your Uncle Mel Gibson and I had a beer the other night. He told me he is still in pain and  and he wished he was Jewish every year at this time.. He is very competitive with the Tim Horton's roll up the rim contest.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Rue said:

This just in. No one is praying in the subway on a carpet Taxme but people did get together in a large prayer circle to acknowledge the massacre in Christchurch.

The more you hate the more you will cause the opposite reaction. I have people coming up to me Taxme today as we speak saying hey are you a Jew? Wow..caan I have your autograph and tell me are those Matzah balls?

Your Uncle Mel Gibson and I had a beer the other night. He told me he is still in pain and  and he wished he was Jewish every year at this time.. He is very competitive with the Tim Horton's roll up the rim contest.

Did people get together in prayer circles anywhere in the world when that guy killed a bunch or Christian worshipers in a Christian church in some American city a few years ago? No way, Jose. All the leftist liberal media were concerned about was the guy who did the shooting. Was he a white nationalist was all that they were interested in. 

The more you try to make people like me appear to be a person of hate will only get you the proper opposite reaction that you deserve. Ya sure you had people come up to you alright and asked you if you were eating matzah balls. Stop with the bs. I have never had anyone ever come up to me and ask me if I am a Christian and ask me are those Tim Horton'S timbits. :lol:

I did not know that I was related to Mel Gibson. I wish that I were though. I enjoyed that movie that he made about Jesus Christ some year ago. A certain intolerant ethnic group tried to have the movie banned from theaters. Mel Gibson wishing he were Jewish? Give me a break. Sometimes I have to wonder why I even respond  to your silly butt replies. You are so sad. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

Freedom of Religion is a thing.  Look it up.  It's part of "Freedom of Expression" and allows people to wear ridiculous headgears like Turbans and Cowboy Hats... 

Trouble is: you might believe in freedom of religion...however, certain religions do not. 

48 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I guess people who live in a free country have the rules laid out to them... 

Religions tend to ignore man-made rules if they go against the tenants of said faith.

On 5/19/2021 at 9:41 AM, RedDog said:

We are letting the wrong people into this country.

Exactly!  That is the problem in a nutshell.  I support freedom of religion but Islam is a political-religious system that opposes our basic western values and human rights.  What are liberals and left thinking by letting them into our country?  It doesn't make sense.  Freedom of religion is available to everyone but that freedom must be within the bounds of other basic freedoms.  If a religion cannot accept that and denies people these basic freedoms, they should not be here.  Sharia Law clarifies what the problem is:  SHARIA LAW — LIST OF KEY RULES — What Is Sharia Law? (billionbibles.org)

Edited by blackbird

39 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

So you don't support freedom of religion.

I support it unless it's goal is to deny everyone their basic freedoms.  Every right has caveats or limits.  Even freedom of expression has limits.  Any group that has a history of terrorism should be banned.

"* In the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and other European countries that resist the Sharia law, it has proven adept at infiltrating elements of the society that are left vulnerable (see Sharia law in America and Islamization of America)."  SHARIA LAW — LIST OF KEY RULES — What Is Sharia Law? (billionbibles.org.

An equally big threat to western civilization comes from the liberal or left movement who has no understanding of the threat posed by political Islam in the world and think they should be allowed in under the claim it is just freedom of religion.  This is very naive and self destructive.

Edited by blackbird

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

An equally big threat to western civilization comes from the liberal or left movement who has no understanding of the threat posed by political Islam in the world and think they should be allowed in under the claim it is just freedom of religion.  This is very naive and self destructive.

Uh huh.  Do you want to ban them from coming too ?

Anything else you want to cancel while we're on it ?