Happy canada day everyone

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure looks like a lot of stuff is taking place in Calgary to me:

http://www.calgarycanadaday.ca/

I know it's not the biggest deal in Quebec City. Otherwise, it is in pretty much all of the big cities...especially now.

That's great to see, having lived here all my life though it really hasn't been that big of a deal, maybe with it being that close to the Stampede Canada day gets overshadowed..... and during long weekends in the summer a lot of people head out of town.... it's nice to see some events happening though.... Happy Canada Day Canada !!

Yes don't forget 'safe'.

Big Brother will be out keeping everyone 'safe' this weekend. Unionized Police Helicopter in Ontario entrapping citizens, Unionized park rangers all over Canada cracking down on the citizens harassing us and ticketing us all weekend for simply trying to enjoy our own land.

We gotta throw in that word 'safe' in our happy Canada statement these days. It's disturbing actually when you look at the bigger picture of what's going on.

Questions for Canadian Security Intelligence Service.

Does the Canadian government (federal, provincial or municipal or any other Canadian agency ie. CSIS or RCMP) follow Canadians abroad (in another country) and if yes which agencies are involved?

Besides CSIS which other Canadian government agency operates outside Canada?

Does CSIS use phycotropic drugs or any other drug in any instance?

Does CSIS use a combination of substances that might react as phycotropic drugs or any other drug in any instance?

Does any other Canadian government agency or foreign government agency use drugs on Canadian citizens?

Does CSIS or any other Canadian government agency divulge private information of Canadians to foreigners or their agents?

Does CSIS or any other Canadian government agency spread rumors, spread false information or embellish events or Canadian citizens?

Do foreign government or foreign private agencies or foreign organizations harass or influence Canadian Citizens?

Does CSIS use private investigators to spy on Canadians?

Does any other Canadian government agency use private investigators to spy on Canadians?

Do foreign governments or foreign citizens hire Canadian private investigators to spy on Canadians?

Do foreign governments of foreign organizations perform intrusive surveillance in Canada?

How can an person find out if a security certificate is being used on that person or has been issued by a judge?

Thanks, the first one (Expo 67)was like going back into a time warp, I was in kindergarden that year and I must have learned the words to that song there...wow...that song is great...they should revive it for 2017.... thanks again....

Welcome to the forum and yes I agree re: time warp. You probably also remember Ontariariari---oooo...and Canada's old flag. I've had the pleasure and privilege of meeting several 'Royals' over the years and have to admit I like the whole 'Land of Hope and Glory' biz.

What a crowd on Parliament Hill. My spot sucks compared to last year. Good thing I got good pictures at the Royal Welcome yesterday.

I'm jealous...mind you, Kate could use a few cheeseburgers in my opinion.

:)

As a native Calgarian, Canada Day has never really been that big of a deal here, I don't know why... as a kid growing up I can honestly say I do not remember even one event of any kind of magnitude that was associated with this holiday... I remember listening to a radio call-in talk show here about ten years ago and a lady, who must have been a recent transplant, phoned in to complain about the lack of Canada Day celebrations in our city.... I was just wondering if this is a common theme across this country or if it is really just a minor to non-event in Calgary and we are the exception rather than the rule.... just curious...

:) When I was a kid we celebrated every year by attending a community picnic at- get this- Maple Leaf Hall. There was one ball diamond on the grounds there- lots of parking and a shelterbelt of trees...

Lots of fun.

And the (extremely small) town I spent most of my adult life in hosts a huge 3 or 4 day slow-pitch tournament this weekend, which is also a major good time. I miss that too, but...

My Sweetie and I have a date to take in a barbecue supper, and then a fine fireworks show. Not exactly rockin', but I love the company, the barbecue is being authoured by an extrordinary young chef, and I'm more than a passing fan of fireworks, so it works just fine for me.

(Canada Day celebrations wouldn't be real without potato salad, made with the first homegrown new potatoes.)

Small-c, relish the day.

I love how pissed off people get when you say that.

I don't believe in arbitrary political arrangement or geographies and identifying with their manufactured symbols. I believe it strips away personhood when people identify with a nation and it creates a political otherness that leads to conflict in the world. Obviously, there aren't many who agree with me, but that's why it's my own personal belief, not something I'm demanding others should believe. Nevertheless, I find it detestable that people so vehemently protect a couple of colours, a lousy song and an arbitrary political arrangement without even taking the time to listen to why I don't believe in them or considering the dehumanization of nationalism.

I don't know??

Personally,I find some Albertan's to be the most self absorbed (and most insecure) Canadians this side of Quebec???

Don't like Albertans. Don't like Quebecers. Gee, maybe you should consider emigration... perhaps to Cameroon?

As a native Calgarian, Canada Day has never really been that big of a deal here, I don't know why... as a kid growing up I can honestly say I do not remember even one event of any kind of magnitude that was associated with this holiday... I remember listening to a radio call-in talk show here about ten years ago and a lady, who must have been a recent transplant, phoned in to complain about the lack of Canada Day celebrations in our city.... I was just wondering if this is a common theme across this country or if it is really just a minor to non-event in Calgary and we are the exception rather than the rule.... just curious...

Might depend on what era you grew up in, as well. You have to remember that Canada Day is an invention of the Liberal Party of Canada designed to appeal to Quebecers.

Dominion Day was our "national holiday" when I was growing up. It was a pretty sleepy holiday, a long weekend to start the summer. It wasn't political. And in fact, when we saw our American neighbours to the south do their loud rah-rah, face-painting, flag waving celebration a few days later we tended to roll our eyes tolerantly at their somewhat immature nationalism. No Canadian would act like that. Paint your face and wrap a flag around yourself!? The police would have stopped you to see if you were some sort of escaped psychiatric patient!

Canada Day was invented by the Liberals to use as an excuse for propaganda against separatists. They changed the name because ignorant Frenchmen didn't understand what a Dominion was, and associated it with the British. Then they poured millions of dollars into political propaganda every year to churn out parties and huge celebrations about how wonderful it was to live in Canada, and how much we all loved each other. All of it was aimed at Quebec. They didn't care about Alberta, and in fact, only reluctantly spent some of the budget outside of Quebec. But the majority of money was always spent on their target market. It never really worked, but the side-effect was to convince so many younger people who grew up in this time that this was the way to celebrate; with big, American style rah-rah, flag waving, nationalistic parties and bragging about how great Canada was.

The irony, of course, is that this jingoistic stuff went completely against the Canadian character, and tends to make us more like Americans.

Thanks, the first one (Expo 67)was like going back into a time warp, I was in kindergarden that year and I must have learned the words to that song there...wow...that song is great...they should revive it for 2017.... thanks again....

I was 9, going on 10 at the time, and that Centennial Mapleleaf was all over the place. We had all of these Centennial songs we had to learn in grade 4, which disappeared after all of the celebrations were over.....I always hated singing anyway! One of my favourite memories from the summer of 67, was when the Centennial Train pulled in to the train station in Niagara Falls. We had to wait in line at least an hour before having our chance to walk through the traveling exhibition. I can't remember much about the insides or even how many cars were attached to the train, but it seemed like a big deal at the time!

Might depend on what era you grew up in, as well. You have to remember that Canada Day is an invention of the Liberal Party of Canada designed to appeal to Quebecers.

Back in the day, when Dief was leading the Conservatives, they refused to accept the new flag and were still flying their Red Ensigns with the Union Jacks in the top left corner...can't get much more British colonial than that! I remember the old Eatons Store in Niagara Falls also refused to fly the Maple Leaf in front of their stores, and still had the old Ensign...but they soon went out of business anyway, and closed that store by 1970!

Canada Day was invented by the Liberals to use as an excuse for propaganda against separatists. They changed the name because ignorant Frenchmen didn't understand what a Dominion was, and associated it with the British.

Because it was British, so cut the bullshit! I grew up in an empire loyalist family, and we knew damn well it was all about maintaining colonial ties with England, because back then the loyalists were even more anti-American than they were anti-French! It wasn't until the old Tories realized they were losing the fight against bilingualism and growing French influence both inside and outside Quebec, that they started toning down the anti-American rhetoric.

Then they poured millions of dollars into political propaganda every year to churn out parties and huge celebrations about how wonderful it was to live in Canada, and how much we all loved each other. All of it was aimed at Quebec. They didn't care about Alberta, and in fact, only reluctantly spent some of the budget outside of Quebec.

And Quebec is still here and not going anywhere, and today's Canada - which has pretty much become an American satellite, is still floundering to find some sort of national identity to do some chest thumping about.

Now that we have a federal government that is being run by Alberta, for the benefits of what Albertans (at least wealthy Albertans) want, maybe it's time for all of the Albertans to stop the "West Wants In" bullshit!

The irony, of course, is that this jingoistic stuff went completely against the Canadian character, and tends to make us more like Americans.

Maybe if we were smart, we would accept our tepid nationalism as it is, instead of trying to imitate the U.S., now that the appeals to patriotism and nationalism are destroying the American Empire.

Guest American Woman
Maybe if we were smart, we would accept our tepid nationalism as it is, instead of trying to imitate the U.S., now that the appeals to patriotism and nationalism are destroying the American Empire.

Good Lord. Even a thread about Canada Day becomes about the U.S. ..... :blink:

Good Lord. Even a thread about Canada Day becomes about the U.S. ..... :blink:

I used to feel a little disheartened when I drove across the border and seen every other house (at least in the suburbs) was flying the flag -- while on our side, the flag is hardly found except for in front of government buildings. Over the last 10 years it seems that patriotism and flag waving is a very useful tool for those who profit from war and building the machines of war. You may not like it, but the main reason why a lot of Democrats keep caving on these issues is because they are so scared to be called unpatriotic.

Nevertheless, I find it detestable that people so vehemently protect a couple of colours, a lousy song and an arbitrary political arrangement without even taking the time to listen to why I don't believe in them or considering the dehumanization of nationalism.

While I have the same opinion of not *personally* being natinoalisitic, it's for different reasons.

See, you hate our country and want to partake in destroying it from letting outsider in. You are the type of person that wants to ban Christmas and destroy everything that Canada and our culture stands for. It makes you happy to see foot basins in our air ports.. mosques taking over neighborhoods, and languages other than English and French being spoken here. You are the type that 'gives away' everything that we as people have worked for.

I don't like nationalism because the 'ra ra' blind cheering is a trained response from Big Brother to support everything Big Brother does. Big Brother wants you cheering on the police while they arrest you and make criminals out of every citizen.

Don't like Albertans. Don't like Quebecers. Gee, maybe you should consider emigration... perhaps to Cameroon?

Those people are now in Quebec.

While I have the same opinion of not *personally* being natinoalisitic, it's for different reasons.

See, you hate our country and want to partake in destroying it from letting outsider in. You are the type of person that wants to ban Christmas and destroy everything that Canada and our culture stands for. It makes you happy to see foot basins in our air ports.. mosques taking over neighborhoods, and languages other than English and French being spoken here. You are the type that 'gives away' everything that we as people have worked for.

I don't like nationalism because the 'ra ra' blind cheering is a trained response from Big Brother to support everything Big Brother does. Big Brother wants you cheering on the police while they arrest you and make criminals out of every citizen.

You haven't any idea whatsoever what "type of person" I am. Although I can tell you from this post, that you're the type of person to broad-brush people and engage in the exact US vs THEM mentality that nationalism leads to.