Sun TV sets complaints record

M.Dancer

Krista Erickson should not be criticized for asking questions of an artist who receives government funding.

Krista Erickson should certainly be criticized for looking like a complete idiot.

I love how she keeps referring to the viewers (both of them...) as "friends" and how she pronounces "great" as if it has 4 r's in it. Clearly she is somebody who spends more time in the tanning booth than she spends reading. If you didn't know better you'd think it was some character invented by Kristen Chynoweth for a SNL guest skit.

I'm sure this interview was a big hit with the sort of guy who'll go tell his friends "haw haw, you shoulda seen that chick with the tan go after the artsie-fartsie chick, haw haw, it was great she really taught her a lesson hur hur hur"

So... Krista Erickson is clearly an idiot of some kind, but I doubt that's actionable by the CBSC.

Is all this free publicity good for Sun TV? I dunno, based on that display I can't imagine anybody wanting to watch more Sun TV.

-k

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the most part, the interview was meant to raise awareness that some arts funding by taxpayers is questionable.

Says who? You? What measure should we use to determine what is or is not, as you say, questionable?

It is then up to taxpayers to decide whether they want their taxes spent on that or some other government initiatives.

Is that so? I pay taxes, but I don't drive, so I don't want my taxes going to maintaining highways. Can I hold that back? How about those new jet fighters? i don't agree with those either, so I'll just keep my share of that. Sound good?

Taxes aren't a buffet where taxpayers get to pick and choose what they want to support.

Taxes aren't a buffet where taxpayers get to pick and choose what they want to support.

Correct. But they are a legitimate subject to ask if a particular expenditure is in the public interest.

I happen to think funding of avant garde dance is not.

. . . Clearly she is somebody who spends more time in the tanning booth than she spends reading. If you didn't know better you'd think it was some character invented by Kristen Chynoweth for a SNL guest skit.

. . .

Is all this free publicity good for Sun TV? I dunno, based on that display I can't imagine anybody wanting to watch more Sun TV.

-k

Except as comic relief.:-]

Others may disagree.

So where does that leave us?

It leaves us making a case for or against public funding....and hoping the politicians and mandarins are listening.

You can be sure though, with every budget line under scrutiny, interpretive dance better make a better case for funding than claiming they help humanity.

You're not receiving Heritage Ministry grants for the publication company you work for ? Tax credits of some kind geared to 'moneys Glorifying the True North's Shining Frozen Dominion and her Majesty's golden hat' or somesuch ?

Not one penny.

We don't cover the quilting history of Canadian women, or fly fishing in Canada's north....

And we are intending to make money by earning it....

We won a silver medal two weeks ago for editorial excellence...not bad given that we submitted 5 items from the first 3 issues we published, got nominations for 3....

I don't think we would have earned any more awards using tax payer money.

Isn't 1.2m/13 years pretty small potatoes compared to oil sands subsidies?

It irks me greatly to see a company post 'profits' equal to its subsidies.

Bingo! The real story here is that SunTV is Foxnews North -- a media mouthpiece in the business of advancing conservative propaganda. So now we know that one of their hobby horses will be to condemn arts programs, and public funding to help support them. It's okay if money is doled out for things conservatives like: military, foreign wars, subsidizing resource industries like the tar sands etc.

Bingo! The real story here is that SunTV is Foxnews North --

No, the real story is: a channel virtually no one watches managed to set a record...a record number of complaints.

The other real story is, a record number of people who don't watch Sun complained.

The 3rd story is, there are over 4000 interpretive dancers in Canada with little else to do aside from complain.

Well considering who's getting elected this day and age, that leaves you on the outside looking in.

Really? So because of the SunTV interview, avant-garde artists are no longer being funded? Boy that was quick!

Or do you really mean that you are imagining some time in the future that this will all change over to some taxpayer driven, "common sense" panacea wholly funded by the necessity of taste through the the private sector?

Here is another Canadian artist of the avant-garde leanings who was partially funded by the damned National Gallery and taxpayers. Perhaps you have heard of him?

Edited by Shwa

SUN needs a production manager...I will take the job if someone wishes. They really have no vision in the fact that their attempt to create a slick right wing CNN thing. Firstly - there should be some on set coaching.... when guys like Ezra Levant...starts to rant and loses crediblity - The wardrobe designer has no talent - she dresses the woman like little old ladies - who the hell is responsible for this amateur hour? It has potential - but it needs real creative and stern management....and no more giving air time to your nephews saying they are "un-paid" intern.

They have the right idea .....but Caldwell sluring the name Pakistan to Packy ....stan - is immature - he also needs to put on a few pounds to get rid of that un-credible weasil look.

Says who? You?

No. To put matters into perspective, the issue was raised by Sun News, not me. If Sun News was in agreement with (or didn't care about) taxpayer funds being spent on interpretive dance, the interview would not have been scheduled. Sun News promised straight talk; they took issue with public funding of interpretive dance and is simply delivering on that pledge. Not only did the interview result in a plethora of complaints, it has spurred a healthy debate. Sun News detractors get to throw punches at them and the rest of us can vent about how our taxes are spent.

What measure should we use to determine what is or is not, as you say, questionable?

The answer to that question would require a Royal Commission where briefs would be submitted by all interested parties. Then, the Commission, comprised of illustrious Canadians, would study the matter and put forward findings and recommendations in a comprehensive report which would be promptly shelved to gather dust.

Is that so? I pay taxes, but I don't drive, so I don't want my taxes going to maintaining highways. Can I hold that back? How about those new jet fighters? i don't agree with those either, so I'll just keep my share of that. Sound good?

You can advocate for any cause you feel is worthwhile. So get to it. Just make sure you address your complaints to proper governmental jurisdiction.

Yes they are. The spending "buffet" is contained in party platforms and we get to vote for what we prefer.

I had heard about Erickson's interview with Margie Gillis and the fact that it had generated thousands of complaints with the public. I finally had a chance to view it and it's probably the most outrageous, uncomfortable interview I've ever seen. Krista Erickson is a complete boob - rude and boorish. She should be fired on the spot. Have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrUfKrQpQbg&feature=related