• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This country can use a step to the right in some areas. Let's just hope Harper doesn't go go all wacky social & Christian conservative on us. If they stay sane, i think we'll have a good 4-5 years. Maybe the most worried i am is with foreign policy. We'd would have been in Iraq if the CPC was in power in 2003. The CPC has a lot of good policies to offer, i hope they stay with those & minimize the stupidity and power-hunger.

Iraq is in the past. I'm glad the NDP won't be in power to alienate our allies and turn our troops into targets on "peace keeping" missions. I wish they'd pass a law making it illegal for Canadian forces to be deployed where they cannot take forward offensive action against armed enemies.

I knew we'd agree on something tonight, toady.

Many apologies for my crankiness, lukin. I'm a miserable bastard sometimes.

I'm not all that upset about the Tories winning. I would have preferred a minority, but now they'll have their chance to prove they can govern without the training wheels. I do not believe for a second that abortion will be banned tomorrow.

He looks rattled. I wonder if he will be as classy as ignatieff.

If I just had my legs cut out from underneath me, I'd be rattled too.

Of course, we're about to see a PQ government in Quebec, so the separatists are not dead.

Oh, and he just resigned as leader.

Edited by ToadBrother

Many apologies for my crankiness, lukin. I'm a miserable bastard sometimes.

I'm not all that upset about the Tories winning. I would have preferred a minority, but now they'll have their chance to prove they can govern without the training wheels. I do not believe for a second that abortion will be banned tomorrow.

Never apologize to Lukin. I'ma big boy. Duceppe resigns!!!

This country can use a step to the right in some areas. Let's just hope Harper doesn't go go all wacky social & Christian conservative on us. If they stay sane, i think we'll have a good 4-5 years. Maybe the most worried i am is with foreign policy. We'd would have been in Iraq if the CPC was in power in 2003. The CPC has a lot of good policies to offer, i hope they stay with those & minimize the stupidity and power-hunger.

Well said!!

Let's hope with the death of Osama Bin Ladin we will be able to accelerate the withdrawal of our troops. The war on terrorism is officially over. Bring our brave soldiers home!

I'm curious. How does contempt of Parliament happen when the majority of MPs do not believe it's happening?

Well, Harper was ruled in contempt by the Speaker because he refused to share information with the opposition parties.

First time in history for that accomplishment.

Now, Harper will continue to regard parliament as a contemptuous place that he is forced to attend for the sake of bulldozing through his agenda, whether or not he is ruled that way officially.

Well said!!

Let's hope with the death of Osama Bin Ladin we will be able to accelerate the withdrawal of our troops. The war on terrorism is officially over. Bring our brave soldiers home!

I think the death of OBL may rally the fanatics.

Never apologize to Lukin. I'ma big boy. Duceppe resigns!!!

I'll say it again, the defeat of the Bloc and Quebec backing a Federalist party is damned good news, and I think Federalists across the country should applaud this.

Now, whether the NDP can manage standing with one foot in Quebec and one in the rest of Canada better than Brian Mulroney ultimately did is an open question. They've got one kick at the can, so far as I can see, to prove that they can pull it off, so they'd better not muck it up.

Well said!!

The conflict is far from over. OBL's death is of little relevance except symbolically. The extremists, their funding, their organizations, their motives, their weapons, are all still there.

Listening to Duceppe, it occurs to me that there has been a hostile takeover. In a sense, the federal NDP is no longer the same party as it was.

Correct. It is now Bloc II.

Well, Harper was ruled in contempt by the Speaker because he refused to share information with the opposition parties.

First time in history for that accomplishment.

The Speaker does not rule anyone is contempt. He rules that it can be referred for a contempt ruling. Only Parliament has the power to find anyone in Contempt of Parliament.

Now, Harper will continue to regard parliament as a contemptuous place that he is forced to attend for the sake of bulldozing through his agenda, whether or not he is ruled that way officially.

Maybe he will, but this time he will have a majority of MPs who won't view it as contempt. That is the critical difference, as I and others pointed out constantly when the Tories kept bringing up Chretien. Parliament alone decides what is Contempt.

Edited by ToadBrother