Conservatives would create Office of Religious Freedom

Are you guys on Crack?

Religious freedom may be what the Muslim minority uses to push people around here, but in much of the rest of the world they are the religious bully. But its your left wing nutter quasi judicial human rights tribunals that have bent over for them, perhaps a government department will balance that out.

Now it seems that those who love to hate Harper can simultaneously suck, blow and whistle. You criticise Harper for defending Isreal (which despite being the jewish homeland has a secular government), give him hell for sending troops to Afganistan to fight Muslim tyrany, accuse him of being some fundamentalist Christian wing nut with a hidden agenda and just about every other crazy idea short of being alien spawn. Now you think he's a tool of some Muslim conspiracy to impose Sharia law?

Take a look at your hero Jack's policies and try and figure out what he stands for, or more accurately what doesn't he stand for? Jack's pretty quick on his feet and comes across as a witty regular guy, but he is certainly not capable of being all things to all people and if your worried about your job or the ecomony now, your gonna need sedatives in short order if happy Jack gets anywhere near the levers of power.

Those of us old enough to remember the Jack and Olivia show in Toronto would be happiest to see him some distance from real power.

perhaps a government department will balance that out.

This is the part I disagree with.

We are going to have another gov't office, with people comprised from our UNIVERSITIES, laced with STUDENTS, making RECOMMENDATIONS for 'RELIGIOUS FREEDOM'. Monies will be given to those struggle for 'freedom' (terrorists).

I can't believe Harper would be so irresponsible as to do something so careless as this. This office will never go away and be the source of a LOT of scandal in the future.

Again, we are talking about intellectuals from academia and muslim students with far left, liberal viewpoints in this office. There is no such thing as a reasonable, rational, intelligent civil servant. It doesn't exist.

Come on man you should know better than this.

Hopefully he'll drag his feet on this and it will go away.

This is the part I disagree with.

We are going to have another gov't office, with people comprised from our UNIVERSITIES, laced with STUDENTS, making RECOMMENDATIONS for 'RELIGIOUS FREEDOM'. Monies will be given to those struggle for 'freedom' (terrorists).

I can't believe Harper would be so irresponsible as to do something so careless as this. This office will never go away and be the source of a LOT of scandal in the future.

Again, we are talking about intellectuals from academia and muslim students with far left, liberal viewpoints in this office. There is no such thing as a reasonable, rational, intelligent civil servant. It doesn't exist.

Come on man you should know better than this.

Hopefully he'll drag his feet on this and it will go away.

Why can't you believe Harper would be so irresponsbile as to do what he has said he fully intends to do?

While I disagree with your views with regards to the left's viewpoints, to say that the office which Harper has stated he intends to create will be filled and highly influenced by religious extremism from all walks of life is something we can agree upon.

A vote for Harper is essentially a vote to allowing religious extremists gaining a foothold within this country's government AND having power to abuse....

Wow, and I thought I'd read everything. How on earth can you extrapolate that from an office set up to help protect minorities and promote freedom of religion/ Not that I agree with such an office I don't, but the wild eyed hyperbole is of course, expected LOL

Again, we are talking about intellectuals ... in this office. There is no such thing as a reasonable, rational, intelligent civil servant. It doesn't exist.
Although I disagree with this huge waste of taxpayers' money, I find people like you and Sarah Palin that rally against "intellectuals" alarming. God forbid we have educated people making social policy decisions. Maybe we should just go around asking every uneducated, racist ideologue what they think we should do instead, hmm? Edited by cybercoma

Ha! This thread is hilarious!

Let me make an alternate suggestion wrt the target audience:

http://www.bradtrost.ca/commentary/2011/03/14/assassination-of-shahbaz-bhatti/

So your defence of this is to point to a Conservative pro-lifer, anti-abortionist's website?

Ok then Molly McVety.....

Apparently bible thumping is still alive and well in the Harper conservatives...

So your defence of this is to point to a Conservative pro-lifer, anti-abortionist's website?

Ok then Molly McVety.....

Apparently bible thumping is still alive and well in the Harper conservatives...

Even more hilarious that you would think I meant that as a defense! IMO it's an indictment.

I would wager, if enough Muslims wanted Sharia Law's and banking, he would give it to them. Harper is very optimistic on multi-culturalism. Even more than Ignatieff it seems when judging by the English debate.

There's already a credit union here in winnipeg offering an islamic mortgage, they charge a "fee" instead of compound interest.

As for sharia law, wouldn't that essentially mean changing the constitution? And last time they tried to do that, they couldn't even get all of the provinces to agree that quebec was 'special'.

Gee, that makes it hard to explain why Harper cancelled all those millions in fed gravy to KAIROS, a faith based group......

Yes, doesn't it now? Very interesting indeed. But when you are trying to consolidate control of speech, such actions are necessary. Thus, form a government funded group to put out the 'correct' message all the while defunding groups who put out the 'wrong' message.

Yes, doesn't it now? Very interesting indeed. But when you are trying to consolidate control of speech, such actions are necessary. Thus, form a government funded group to put out the 'correct' message all the while defunding groups who put out the 'wrong' message.

So what you're saying then is... it'll be a state run Ministry of Religious Propoganda.

It certainly would fall right in line with everything 'Dear Leader' Harper stands for..