Prime Minister Jack Layton

It must be real hard to be a left winger in Canada.

Seeing Paul Martin bumble marihuana reform.The Liberal party having an open vote to extend the Aghganistan mission more than once

Watching McGuinty secretly pass "get out of jail cards"to the police before the G20.

Listening to Ignatieff whenever he opens his mouth.Ya it must be hard.

Its a good thing that Layton is now going up in the polls above 20% and has the real momentum here.

Maybe theres light at the end of the tunnel finaly.

WWWTT

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be honest, I would really love to see Jack Layton become Prime Minister, but I'm afraid he doesn't have enough time left. If Labour parties can gain power in the UK, there's no reason the NDP couldn't actually hold power here. It's probably more than a decade away though.

unlikely but it is possible...calgary's muslim leftist mayor was unknown when he started his campaign, not until about two weeks before the election was anyone really talking about him and not even on election day was he given a chance, but a small surge began that turned into a huge wave and he did the impossible, he fired up the electorate with the thought of change and a new direction and people who normally never vote came out in large numbers...I think right now the NDP would be ecstatic with official opposition...

unlikely but it is possible...calgary's muslim leftist mayor was unknown when he started his campaign, not until about two weeks before the election was anyone really talking about him and not even on election day was he given a chance
You can't compare a low turn out municipal election to a national one. The type of politics that the NDP espouses is appealing to a small minority of Canadians. They will never form government unless they change their policies to suit the majority in the center.

I'll be honest, I would really love to see Jack Layton become Prime Minister, but I'm afraid he doesn't have enough time left. If Labour parties can gain power in the UK, there's no reason the NDP couldn't actually hold power here. It's probably more than a decade away though.

I agree.

Jack has health issues that could dampen things.

However official opposition and a Harper minority would lead to an NDP led coalition,and Jack as PM.

There is actually a better chance in this scenario instead of the Liberals winning a minority!

WWWTT

You can't compare a low turn out municipal election to a national one. The type of politics that the NDP espouses is appealing to a small minority of Canadians. They will never form government unless they change their policies to suit the majority in the center.

At the same time you have the all the other parties at other ends of the specrtrum. And those parties are not changing anytime soon. Maybe I am too jaded, or cynical, but none of these parties have what a majority of Canadians want.

I have not watched any debates, but I can guess at the topics.

Health care, unemployment, job security, foreign trade, human rights.

And those parties are not changing anytime soon. Maybe I am too jaded, or cynical, but none of these parties have what a majority of Canadians want.

Well the majority of Canadians seem to vote for those other parties.

Jack's problem is he's a good speaker but he's full of BS and he's a slime bag to boot. His policies are garbage and they never have to stand up to scrutiny. He gets to promise the world and the poor, young and uneducated (or the unions) vote for him because they'll never actually look into anything he says beyond the smile and the zingers.

Well the majority of Canadians seem to vote for those other parties.

Jack's problem is he's a good speaker but he's full of BS and he's a slime bag to boot. His policies are garbage and they never have to stand up to scrutiny. He gets to promise the world and the poor, young and uneducated (or the unions) vote for him because they'll never actually look into anything he says beyond the smile and the zingers.

I'm not exactly seeing a lot of sensible policies from any of them. Harper's "we'll cut taxes and pay down the deficit and pay for it by finding efficiencies" is as close to a magical incantation as one can get in government finances.

I'm not exactly seeing a lot of sensible policies from any of them. Harper's "we'll cut taxes and pay down the deficit and pay for it by finding efficiencies" is as close to a magical incantation as one can get in government finances.

Except that its currently working. The last check was that the deficit was less than expected.

Oops!!

I agree.

Jack has health issues that could dampen things.

However official opposition and a Harper minority would lead to an NDP led coalition,and Jack as PM.

There is actually a better chance in this scenario instead of the Liberals winning a minority!

WWWTT

ya ignatieff has nixed the coalition but layton hasn't if the ndp ended up 2nd he would have no qualms forming a coalition, PM Jack?...and if the liberals were to finish 2nd it would be the end of ignatieff IMO...but we're getting ahead of ourselves here, if the latest polls are to believed the liberals have recovered a lot of support in ontario which should not only end the harper regimes quest for a majority but it should keep the liberals in 2nd...

Except that its currently working. The last check was that the deficit was less than expected.

Oops!!

which only confirms harpers incompetence as a financial planner he has no idea what he's doing...mrs wyly tracks the finances of a multi million dollar institution, she knows exactly where every penny goes and comes from, and we supposedly have "financial experts" in government who have no idea from one year to the next if they're going to have a deficit or surplus or even how much they have at any time, it just mysteriously appears and disappears as circumstances require...

It must be real hard to be a left winger in Canada.

Seeing Paul Martin bumble marihuana reform.The Liberal party having an open vote to extend the Aghganistan mission more than once

Watching McGuinty secretly pass "get out of jail cards"to the police before the G20.

Listening to Ignatieff whenever he opens his mouth.Ya it must be hard.

Its a good thing that Layton is now going up in the polls above 20% and has the real momentum here.

Maybe theres light at the end of the tunnel finaly.

WWWTT

An federal NDP government would ruin this nation financially. They would tax corporations so much that the corporations would close down and leave (example: BC NDP in the 1970's taxing mining companies so highly that they left). The average working person would fair no better. The NDP is NO LONGER the "working man's party". They now view the working man as a cash cow to be taxed and taxed and taxed some more. Mind you, once all the corporations have left, the NDP will have nobody to tax since everybody would be unemployed.

An federal NDP government would ruin this nation financially. They would tax corporations so much that the corporations would close down and leave (example: BC NDP in the 1970's taxing mining companies so highly that they left). The average working person would fair no better. The NDP is NO LONGER the "working man's party". They now view the working man as a cash cow to be taxed and taxed and taxed some more. Mind you, once all the corporations have left, the NDP will have nobody to tax since everybody would be unemployed.

stupid analogy, the NDP has had many financially responsible provincial governments...if we're grading federal parties by provincial counterparts performance no conservative party should ever be allowed to govern again based on the Grant Devine conservative government in sask, without doubt the worst financial record of any government in canada's history...

I wouldn't mind seeing the NDP and Layton as the leaders of the opposition.

I would prefer someone who has the best interests of Canada, and has a sense of what that means....so if I had to chose I would refer Duceppe

which only confirms harpers incompetence as a financial planner he has no idea what he's doing...mrs wyly tracks the finances of a multi million dollar institution, she knows exactly where every penny goes and comes from, and we supposedly have "financial experts" in government who have no idea from one year to the next if they're going to have a deficit or surplus or even how much they have at any time, it just mysteriously appears and disappears as circumstances require...

That's a result in the swings of the economy. Nobody can accurately predict to the penny what the projections are of the govt coffers, they can only estimate. When there is lots of economic growth, the govt coffers tend to do better than first thought.

If you think harper is incompetant because of this, then pmpm and manley were just as bad. They both ran surpluses that were underestimated by the both of them.

Nothing like a double standard.

Where would the banks,insurance companies and other service providers goes?Oh I know magic fairy land where every CEO earns 10 000 000+ bonuses and Harper eats grapes and sings songs from the 40's and caries a rifle in his jock.

Where would the oil comanies go?

I guess you like paying 1.30 a litre.Well keep paying and vote conservative.

Time for real change buddy.

Hey if he screws up then vote him out.

But if things get run smoothly than whats the problem?

Keep fighting shadows and phantoms and every CEO will be laughing and zipping rails on their private yachts in the Carribean earning 7 didgets a year while you have to slug it out every day.But at least you will have comfort in knowing that you are helping the poor CEOS maintain their lifestyle.

WWWTT

Where would the banks,insurance companies and other service providers goes?

To where this is opportunity. If you think banks are happy with savings account, think again. US (and chinese) financial institutions are looking here at the moment for opportunities for growth, which means places and things to invest in....take away that investment and the economy will stagnate.

Nigeria...gulf....anywhere they can operate at a profit

. C|ompanies are not fixed in cement, they can pull out just as easy as setting up...

Where would the banks,insurance companies and other service providers goes?Oh I know magic fairy land where every CEO earns 10 000 000+ bonuses and Harper eats grapes and sings songs from the 40's and caries a rifle in his jock.

I guess you like paying 1.30 a litre.Well keep paying and vote conservative.

Time for real change buddy.

Hey if he screws up then vote him out.

But if things get run smoothly than whats the problem?

Keep fighting shadows and phantoms and every CEO will be laughing and zipping rails on their private yachts in the Carribean earning 7 didgets a year while you have to slug it out every day.But at least you will have comfort in knowing that you are helping the poor CEOS maintain their lifestyle.

WWWTT

Holy ignorance! This is why commerce, management, and business classes should be mandatory for graduation.

Ever look at our gdp and unemployment numbers? Ever look at our standard of living?

Lowering taxes and letting people spend their money as they see fit isn't ever a 'waste' really. Deficits are only a problem as they relate to taxes. It may not exactly balance the books but it's the 'spending' that piss people off and that's why Jack from subsidized housing will never get elected.

To where this is opportunity. If you think banks are happy with savings account, think again. US (and chinese) financial institutions are looking here at the moment for opportunities for growth, which means places and things to invest in....take away that investment and the economy will stagnate.

Nigeria...gulf....anywhere they can operate at a profit

. C|ompanies are not fixed in cement, they can pull out just as easy as setting up...

Bye bye

Oh I'm gonna miss them,maybe I'll cry like Gurgies and say how bad Harper is.

Oh wait let me get a baby to hold on to first then I'll start crying.

You think these companies care for you?

Of course there needs to be a carrot to dangle.But not a liscence to gouge us.

Theres alot of anti corporate sentiment out there and Harper and Ignatieff are in no position to capitalize on it.

Oh and this anti corporate sentiment is for a good reason.It exists because corporations put profits before employees.

Go to Japan and invest your money in the stock market there buddy.

WWWTT