AG Draft Report: G8 Funding Lacked Transparency

Poor research by whoever wrote the report, probably far below the ministerial level.

Poor research aint forgery though. There's misquoting, then there's forgery. We're all in agreement that the report sucks. Also its another "hot air" scandal.

Its as significant as ignatieff's wife being a foreigner. Does anyone care?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor research by whoever wrote the report, probably far below the ministerial level.

Really? It doesn't take university level or even high school research skills to realize that you're reading a completely wrong report. Especially considering the report in question was so plainly negative toward the CPC.

This excuse is merely wishful thinking.

Poor research aint forgery though. There's misquoting, then there's forgery. We're all in agreement that the report sucks. Also its another "hot air" scandal.

Its as significant as ignatieff's wife being a foreigner. Does anyone care?

It's not poor research, though. These guys have been at it since before they were even in power. Harper plagiarized an Australian PMs speech. One of their current campaign speeches was plagiarized from a US political ad. Not to mention Bev Oda.

Really? It doesn't take university level or even high school research skills to realize that you're reading a completely wrong report.

If you think that mistakes don't happen, you don't understand humanity. This appears to have been a mistake, and nothing else. And which campaign speech came from a US political ad. I think you're making things up. And what about Oda? In the end, that turned out to be as much of nothing as this.

Edited by Smallc

It's not poor research, though. These guys have been at it since before they were even in power. Harper plagiarized an Australian PMs speech. One of their current campaign speeches was plagiarized from a US political ad. Not to mention Bev Oda.

Nicky Iggy takes quotes all the time from US presidents.

"If they stop telling lies about us we will stop telling the truth about them"-Adlai Stevenson

"Ask yourself is your family better off now then 4 years ago" Ronald Regan

And Iggys most famous was lifted form our own PM William Lyon Mackenzie King

"Coalition if necessarily not necessarily Coalition"

But seriously I don't think Iggy has had one real good one liner which he himself came up with. So lets not play the originality card here. Unless you are voting for Jack.

Edited by punked

If you think that mistakes don't happen, you don't understand humanity. This appears to have been a mistake, and nothing else.

Oh, mistakes are made all the time. That I don't deny. The report plagiarized was authored 7 years ago.

Now, answer these questions if you don't mind. What are the likelihood that a report like that would just be laying around? Why did the author of the report need the report of 7 years ago to write the current report? If he didn't need it, why did he have it? If it was merely a mistake, why did the quote specifically relate to the government being good with money?

The fact is, the person who wrote this went back far enough and got a quote obscure enough that he thought he would never be caught. There is no other logical explanation.

Nicky Iggy takes quotes all the time from US presidents.

"If they stop telling lies about us we will stop telling the truth about them"-Adlai Stevenson

"Ask yourself is your family better off now then 4 years ago" Ronald Regan

And Iggys most famous was lifted form our own PM William Lyon Mackenzie King

"Coalition if necessarily not necessarily Coalition"

But seriously I don't think Iggy has had one real good one liner which he himself came up with. So lets not play the originality card here. Unless you are voting for Jack.

Quoting famous sayings is far different than going back and trying to plagiarize an obscure document to make yourself look better.

Oh, mistakes are made all the time. That I don't deny. The report plagiarized was authored 7 years ago.

Now, answer these questions if you don't mind. What are the likelihood that a report like that would just be laying around? Why did the author of the report need the report of 7 years ago to write the current report? If he didn't need it, why did he have it? If it was merely a mistake, why did the quote specifically relate to the government being good with money?

The fact is, the person who wrote this went back far enough and got a quote obscure enough that he thought he would never be caught. There is no other logical explanation.

OK all these reports are in a database in Ottawa. So when the staffer was assigned to write the dissenting opinion on this they just searched a bunch of stuff again quote mining. Reports don't lay anywhere anymore we live in a digital age Nicky.

And you have no idea what the intent of that person was. They were told to find something, and they found it. They didn't research it well enough. Maybe they were lying. Maybe they didn't give a !*^@. We really don't know.

Quoting famous sayings is far different than going back and trying to plagiarize an obscure document to make yourself look better.

But Nicky you are making accusations of many plagiarisms over the years by the Cons because of things they said with out pointing to your own leader who pretends well known sayings he read in a book are his.

OK all these reports are in a database in Ottawa. So when the staffer was assigned to write the dissenting opinion on this they just searched a bunch of stuff again quote mining. Reports don't lay anywhere anymore we live in a digital age Nicky.

Exactly. It isn't that hard to figure out.

The point is he specifically tried to pass off this quote as the AGs in regards to the G20. Just because you don't have a problem with it (and obviously majored in plagiarism in university) doesn't mean it isn't serious.

I'll tell you one thing we are interested in this here because we are political junkies however if this argument were ever played out in the media the public would tune out. That is all the Cons need to win this argument is for people to tune out and keep the status quo. If the Liberals want to make this an issue they better get better messaging for it because right now it isn't black and white enough. It is to Grey to make an issue. Which might be why the Media is moving on to the next thing the debates.

Those things are all very likely. People do such things all the time.

No, they aren't and no, they don't. A mistake is a typo. Misquoting an entire quote to someone from a completely different report and attributing it to a different report which will better suit your thesis would've gotten me kicked out of school. Funny, I avoided doing that for 4 years. As well as most university students. So why is it that this guy is so incompetent?

The point is he specifically tried to pass off this quote as the AGs in regards to the G20. Just because you don't have a problem with it (and obviously majored in plagiarism in university) doesn't mean it isn't serious.

Here is the part where you lose me. Whoever wrote this was assigned to write a dissenting opinion on the G20 money. IE they were told to write the other side because this democracy we always have the opinion and the dissenting opinion. So they were told to write an opinion which shows the G20 spending in a good light. Whoever it was, it was their JOB to write this and they half assed it. They didn't go out and write this opinion because they wanted the Cons to look good they wrote it because that is what this committee required.

I bet their a whole bunch of reports in Ottawa that are as just as bad as this.

But Nicky you are making accusations of many plagiarisms over the years by the Cons because of things they said with out pointing to your own leader who pretends well known sayings he read in a book are his.

So you've never quoted anyone else? I do it all the time. The point is that people know you're quoting other people without passing it off as something else.

Edited by nicky10013

No, they aren't and no, they don't. A mistake is a typo. Misquoting an entire quote to someone from a completely different report and attributing it to a different report which will better suit your thesis would've gotten me kicked out of school. Funny, I avoided doing that for 4 years. As well as most university students. So why is it that this guy is so incompetent?

Are you going to tell me no one ever wrote a shitty report under a Liberal government?

Misquoting an entire quote to someone from a completely different report and attributing it to a different report which will better suit your thesis would've gotten me kicked out of school.

Welcome to the real world. People cut corners all the time. Sometimes they have intent that is...less than good. Sometimes they don't. We don't know what happened here. The only thing that's going on is people jumping to conclusions.

So you've never quoted anyone else? I do it all the time. The point is that people know you're quoting other people without passing it off as something else.

No they really don't. Infact I saw plenty of Liberals on Twitter talking about how smart Iggy was to come up with the Lie line. I knew who said it but it appears most Liberals didn't or they were trying to pass someone elses work off as their leaders own.

That is why when people quote other people in their speeches and quips they say "A great man once said" before hand.

Edited by punked

Here is the part where you lose me. Whoever wrote this was assigned to write a dissenting opinion on the G20 money. IE they were told to write the other side because this democracy we always have the opinion and the dissenting opinion. So they were told to write an opinion which shows the G20 spending in a good light. Whoever it was, it was their JOB to write this and they half assed it. They didn't go out and write this opinion because they wanted the Cons to look good they wrote it because that is what this committee required.

I bet their a whole bunch of reports in Ottawa that are as just as bad as this.

A dissenting opinion has to be based in fact. They invented the facts to suit their own cause. They said this quote was part of the AGs current report about the G20/G8 and how proper the spending was. In reality, it was stolen from a previous report. It was never in the report. That was never the AGs opinion. It is a bald lie.

So as acedemics, you and iggy should be giving proper citation. Does iggy give citation when he makes his borrowed sayings? By gum he forged them!