AG Draft Report: G8 Funding Lacked Transparency

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a report tabled in parliament. This went above the war room. Which goes back to my original question? I mean these guys pulled a LOT of stuff but this is BEYOND stupid. Did they really expect people wouldn't notice?

worse... they think people are so stupid to believe it was an honest mistake...shameless lying arseholes...

It was a report tabled in parliament. This went above the war room. Which goes back to my original question? I mean these guys pulled a LOT of stuff but this is BEYOND stupid. Did they really expect people wouldn't notice?

It is almost like someone in the war room didn't notice a well known white supremacist was one of their nominees.

I get it sometimes campaigns don't do their homework but lets not make a mountain out of a mole hill here. Someone who truly believes in the Conservative party found a quote they thought made them look good with out checking when the quote was actually made. Big deal.

"I am an American Democrat I will be voting for John Kerry,"

There is more to this election then missteps, like actual plans.

Edited by punked

So what you're saying is that the government misquoted the AG on this? See, that would fly if it wasn't for the fact that the AG is saying the quote is ripped from a previous report about a previous government. So you're really making the argument that the fact that it's exactly the same as a previous report is merely a coincidence?

Taking a previous report about a previous government and ripping nice comments and then passing it off as it's going to actually be in this report is in fact forgery.

You claimed the whole document was a forgery. Now your moving the goalposts and saying taking the AG's comment out of context is forgery. Are all comments out of context forgery? Did the conservatives make up a fake document and put the AG's name on it? By your initial post you think so.

Someone who truly believes in the Conservative party found a quote they thought made them look good with out checking when the quote was actually made. Big deal.

Exactly. Nicky is trying to make more of it than it is.

Exactly. Nicky is trying to make more of it than it is.

It might be different if the Liberals had been running the NDP campaign and had actually made few mistakes but their campaign has been full of these as well. Theirs just seem smaller because they are not the GIANT Steven Harper.

You claimed the whole document was a forgery. Now your moving the goalposts and saying taking the AG's comment out of context is forgery. Are all comments out of context forgery? Did the conservatives make up a fake document and put the AG's name on it? By your initial post you think so.

It is. The entire document was to portray them as fiscally responsible and that the AG agreed. Turns out, this was quoted from a report from the previous Liberal government. They said it was part of the AGs report coming out on G8 spending. If you can't call faking a document to make it look as though someone in a part of government supports you and it's nothing from the truth forgery, what can you call forgery?

It's not me moving the bar on the term forgery, it's you.

Actually, reading further, I don't think it was a lie at all. I think it honestly was a mistake. I thought it was something that a Conservative had said, but now that I see it was in a parliamentary report, it's far more likely that it was a mistake.

I get it sometimes campaigns don't do their homework but lets not make a mountain out of a mole hill here. Someone who truly believes in the Conservative party found a quote they thought made them look good with out checking when the quote was actually made. Big deal.

This wasn't a part of the campaign. This was from a government report tabled in the house. This wasn't some wannabe staffer who did this and it wasn't a quote about the Conservatives. It was praise for the previous government.

What you're saying and what actually happened aren't even in the same galaxy.

Wow...talk about gullible.

I'm sorry, but reading further into these things, I see less and less actually there. Some money appears to have been misspent on useless things in Tony Clements riding. That's a bad thing, and an investigation should be launched. Still I don't think it's worth a change in government (I also think that Paul Martin was punished car too severely by Canadians for something he didn't do).

Wow...talk about gullible.

Oh come off it Nicky. The Cons were scrambling from a leak which was a misleading at best and trying to spin as fast as they could. They were looking for something to shield them and pulled an old quote up. Big deal.

Just like I don't think Iggy pretending to vote in an American Election is a game changer, a misquote from the Cons isn't a game changer. Seriously if the Liberals want to win this one they need to do better then this because Canada will start tuning them out if they keep it up. Stick to your message Canada wants to vote FOR SOMETHING not against something. Like it or not we are a Country who wants someone to believe in. That is why the anti Harper Crap to bring the NDP voter into the Liberals hasn't worked. We want something to believe in.

I'm sorry, but reading further into these things, I see less and less actually there. Some money appears to have been misspent on useless things in Tony Clements riding. That's a bad thing, and an investigation should be launched. Still I don't think it's worth a change in government (I also think that Paul Martin was punished car too severely by Canadians for something he didn't do).

No, you said you think it wasn't a lie and it wasn't a mistake. How is taking credit for past work a mistake? How does that kind of mistake happen?

Edited by nicky10013

Oh come off it Nicky. The Cons were scrambling from a leak which was a misleading at best and trying to spin as fast as they could. They were looking for something to shield them and pulled an old quote up. Big deal.

As you seem to have not have read, THIS DIDN'T HAPPEN IN THE CAMPAIGN! This happened a couple months before the campaign. They attributed a quote in the HoC to the AG saying the G20 spending was fair and reasonable. The AG came out today and blasted them saying that this was taken from a report before the Tories were even in power.

If you don't think it's a gamechanger, that's fine, I'm not sure about it either. However, this wasn't a campaign slip up.

No, you said you think it was a lie and it wasn't a mistake. How is taking credit for past work a mistake? How does that kind of mistake happen?

Seriously you don't know how that mistake happens? Have you ever worked on a campaign?

It is pretty easy they saw this report come out, they need something they can point to, to say "See the AG thinks we did a good job," so they put their research team on quote mining. They find something however don't check the date and release it. Pretty easy to me.

Seriously you don't know how that mistake happens? Have you ever worked on a campaign?

It is pretty easy they saw this report come out, they need something they can point to, to say "See the AG thinks we did a good job," so they put their research team on quote mining. They find something however don't check the date and release it. Pretty easy to me.

Read above.

Canada's auditor general has rebuked the Conservatives for recycling an unrelated quote by her about a previous Liberal government's security spending in a parliamentary report on the costs of the G8/G20 summits in Ontario last summer, CBC News has learned.

The Conservatives' report, presented as a dissenting opinion to the Commons the morning Parliament was dissolved last month, quotes Sheila Fraser giving high marks to the Harper government for prudent spending on the summits.

The report quoted the auditor general as saying: “We found that the processes and controls around that were very good, and that the monies were spent as they were intended to be spent.”

Auditor General Sheila Fraser says the Conservatives used a quote from her in a report that had nothing to do with the G8 and G20 summits. Auditor General Sheila Fraser says the Conservatives used a quote from her in a report that had nothing to do with the G8 and G20 summits.

But in a scathing letter addressed to members of a Commons committee on Friday, which was received by the clerk and members on Monday, Fraser said the quote had nothing to do with the summits.

Instead, she said, the Conservatives inserted a 2010 comment she made during a CBC News interview on security spending by a previous Liberal government after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

Now, where does this say they quoted her in the campaign?

As you seem to have not have read, THIS DIDN'T HAPPEN IN THE CAMPAIGN! This happened a couple months before the campaign. They attributed a quote in the HoC to the AG saying the G20 spending was fair and reasonable. The AG came out today and blasted them saying that this was taken from a report before the Tories were even in power.

If you don't think it's a gamechanger, that's fine, I'm not sure about it either. However, this wasn't a campaign slip up.

I am sorry Nicky I did not see that. I take it back this is really really dumb for a sitting government to do. Glad the AG is on top of things.

Yeah, you're right. Sorry about that. Still, the question still remains? How is that a mistake? Where do they make that mistake? How does that happen?

Poor research by whoever wrote the report, probably far below the ministerial level.

The Cons were scrambling from a leak which was a misleading at best and trying to spin as fast as they could. They were looking for something to shield them and pulled an old quote up. Big deal.

Punked, I think there is confusion here over two different documents. One document is the AG's report to Parliament, which has not yet been tabled in the House because of the election. Two drafts of that report were released. One dated January and one dated February. That is the leak that the Conservatives had to respond to.

The second document at play is a Conservative report on summit spending to a House Committee, not a report to Parliament. That is the document which contains the quote from the AG erroneously inserted by a Conservative staffer. That is the document the AG complained about and which Stockwell Day apologized for.

What do you think? Am I wrong here?