Is Harper Plagiarizing Tim Pawlenty's Ad?

Yeah it does look similar in style. It's a good ad though.

I don't know if it's the sort of thing that's going to persuade anybody. If you like Harper already, you probably listen to the speech and say "yay! Go Canada!" If you dislike Harper, you probably listen to the speech and think everything he says is dishonest or insincere.

If you're on the fence, maybe it'll give you enough warm-and-fuzzy to think "gee, he doesn't seem like such a bad guy." Or maybe not.

-k

I don't know if it's the sort of thing that's going to persuade anybody. If you like Harper already, you probably listen to the speech and say "yay! Go Canada!" If you dislike Harper, you probably listen to the speech and think everything he says is dishonest or insincere.

If you're on the fence, maybe it'll give you enough warm-and-fuzzy to think "gee, he doesn't seem like such a bad guy." Or maybe not.

-k

These adds aren't there to convince anyone they are out there so Harper can put out attack adds. He needs these ones to point at when the Liberals say it is all attack adds.

I think the first rule of stealing someone else's copyrighted work is to make it unrecognizable from the original.

The CPC doesn't even seem to try in this case though.

It seems the main difference is it isn't nearly as good. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGXGwr3nr7g

Gee BubberMiley, is it possible that Harper and Co. have hired the same US Republican firm that made the T-Paw ad? Further, is it also possible that said same firm will hire Harper when he resigns after his electoral failure on 02/05?

No need to reply. I already know the answer.

-k

That's pretty much true of any ad. I don't think there's anything an ad can say that will sway someone already decided, not unless the ad is revealing some extremely important and previously undisclosed information.

It's a good ad in that it's not a mindless slew of insults at the other party/leader.

Edited by Bonam

You can't really copyright a concept. If you could, most of the Hollywood studios would have been sued out of existence fifty years ago.

Agreed. The wheel has been reinvented too many times when it comes to political ads. Pawlenty's is better but I assume they have much more money to work with. Also, it's a bit unfair to say that Harper plagiarized it. He probably had nothing to do with it and probably never saw it until it was complete...even with his micromanagement fixation!

The only moral here is there's nothing new under the sun.
I sort of disagree.

The following ad is different from most if not all Canadian political ads in the past forty years or so.

How many political ads have jet fighters (and not the Snowbird-type acrobatics)?

How many don't pay obvious hommage to political correctness? And how many put emphasis on self-reliance rather than communal sharing?

-----

I think there is more going on here than the glib dismissal in the OP.

I think the first rule of stealing someone else's copyrighted work is to make it unrecognizable from the original.

The CPC doesn't even seem to try in this case though.

It seems the main difference is it isn't nearly as good. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGXGwr3nr7g

Harper sings Beatle tunes when he should be writing his own.

This is the most non-issue driven election in Canadian history - It is all about nothing - Kind of a gamble and the tossing of the dice by Harpers opponents. They believe that just maybe some how they can oust him via the big voting machine that is the Canadian public...Sorry to burst your bubble but no one is interested in any of the participants...especially the overly selfish and ambitious ones like Iggy - and Layton....Harper is establishement - people like May.. Iggy - and the rest are not part of the exclusive club that runs the nation and always will.

High politics is big buisness - and business has no place for half baked idealogs that want to save the world but not their money....money makes the world go round my friends....as long as it is current - and currency is flowing...we are OK - Good management of cash is what will save the nation....a little weaponry to gain at least a bit of international respect through fear won't hurt -just make sure that they give you a discount for supplying the sells of Jets with the specs...for the Avro Arrow.

It reminds me of the little National Anthem video TV stations used to play before they went off the air at the end of their broadcast day.

Except they didn't have Harper's less than stellar voice over.

It reminds me of the little National Anthem video TV stations used to play before they went off the air at the end of their broadcast day.

-k

The sad one with Greg Joy winning silver (canada's best showing) in high jump at the 1976 montreal olympics?

The sad one with Greg Joy winning silver (canada's best showing) in high jump at the 1976 montreal olympics?

How could I know? I was a toddler at the time. I remember flags, mountains, lakes, RCMP in red coats on horses, flags waving.

-k

-k

That's not a bad comparison. But the Tory ad's strength is the emphasis on self-reliance. In some ways, the ad works better if you could turn off Harper's speech and just go with the images and the music.

IMV, it's a good ad for ordinary English-Canadians.

----

As to the TV music at the end of the broadcast day, I recall in Newfoundland they used to play three songs: O Canada, God Save The Queen and Ode to Newfoundland.

One of the best political ads of all time.

If Obama can run an ad like that in a year's time, he'll get re-elected.

Edited by August1991