Ignatieff's rhetoric

Two points of Ignatieff's rhetoric have been on my mind, re: 1) the "big red tent" and 2) "no coalition"

just curious, but has Ignatieff ever expained how he intends to form a govt without a Coaltion.

I know he has mentioned A Cooperative, which is apparently something different than A Coalition, but has he fleshed out any details on how that differs or how it works?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And it looks like voters gave him a pass and over 40% polling results.

So what are you complaining about when you say the Harper adopted the oppositons budget in 2008??

Clearly,that seems to have worked,even if Mr. Harper had very little to do with it...

just curious, but has Ignatieff ever expained how he intends to form a govt without a Coaltion.

I know he has mentioned A Cooperative, which is apparently something different than A Coalition, but has he fleshed out any details on how that differs or how it works?

Well, he could do what Harper has done, and do it vote-by-vote, reaching consensus at committee and at readings. It would be a lot more difficult, of course, but Harper has shown the way to do it.

Of course they did. Everyone loves perogies, even Liberals! :lol:

Everyone didn't. That's why the Tories had suppressed figures for so long. Fortunately we later found out that the 2008 prorogation had some pretty severe limits placed on it by the Governor General, so the precedent of using prorogation to evade a confidence motion was heavily tempered.

Edited by ToadBrother

So what are you complaining about when you say the Harper adopted the oppositons budget in 2008??

Clearly,that seems to have worked,even if Mr. Harper had very little to do with it...

It was either harper spend that money, or the gong show comes in and spend god knows how much money.

The train already left the station when the coalition came into being

Ignatieff can say without a doubt that he is not interested in brokering a coalition with the other parties, and in fact he will never form a coalition with the BQ (nor would the BQ form a coalition with federalist parties, whether they agree to support them or not). Forming a coalition with the BQ would destroy his support and he would be turfed from the LPC. It goes completely against what the LPC stands for.

That aside, it will be interesting to see what happens if the Conservatives get a minority government again and the opposition subsequently votes down the budget.

Do we go to the polls again or does Ignatieff "begrudgingly" form a coalition for the interests of Canadians?

Don't want an American (Ignatieff) as prime minister...bad enough that Harper panders to the buisness elite in America and Canada. Sad state of affairs when this election is about selling off our nation to the pricks to the south.

Well, hell, it worked for Mulroney and Chretien! Don't mess with success! ;)

Ignatieff can say without a doubt that he is not interested in brokering a coalition with the other parties, and in fact he will never form a coalition with the BQ (nor would the BQ form a coalition with federalist parties, whether they agree to support them or not). Forming a coalition with the BQ would destroy his support and he would be turfed from the LPC. It goes completely against what the LPC stands for.

That aside, it will be interesting to see what happens if the Conservatives get a minority government again and the opposition subsequently votes down the budget.

Do we go to the polls again or does Ignatieff "begrudgingly" form a coalition for the interests of Canadians?

The first opportunity for a no-confidence motion will be the Speech from the Throne, which will happen relatively quickly after the election (after all, the Government will need to get its budget/money bills passed fairly quickly). As I've said before, I cannot imagine the Governor General forcing another election just weeks after the last one. If they topple the Government, Iggy will be PM one way or the other.

The first opportunity for a no-confidence motion will be the Speech from the Throne, which will happen relatively quickly after the election (after all, the Government will need to get its budget/money bills passed fairly quickly).

Parliament returns at the end of May, from what I've read.

Are you saying that Harper isn't right wing extremist enough for you?

If so I'm sure your wishes will be fully filled should Harper manage to pull out a majority and show his true Republican Red White and Blue colours...

Bill, honestly, how can you support someone, or a party, that is trying to drag Canada into being nothing more than the 51st state of a country, the USA, that has shown itself to be totally inept at managing an economy and, because of past Liberal policies Canada pretty much escaped the recession, that the Bush administration with it's unfunded wars, corporate bailouts and deregulation caused?

Gwiz do you know who wrote the federal bank act? That document is what has kept us out the problems the us is facing.

Gwiz do you know who wrote the federal bank act? That document is what has kept us out the problems the us is facing.

Yup, I do...

Do you know that Harper was not only in favour of but a strong promoter of the Canadian Bank mergers with US banks a few years back?

Where would THAT have left us when the shit hit the fan?

It was either harper spend that money, or the gong show comes in and spend god knows how much money.

The train already left the station when the coalition came into being

Wrong...

He had a choice...He chose political expediency for the sake of power over his own principles(assuming a politician has any).

He could have fallen on his sword(lets keep 2004 in mind here) and let the opposition take over.I don't think that would have lasted 6 weeks and he would have got his majority in the process...

He chose the weasels way out...And we have now two elections to prove this...

Wrong...

He had a choice...He chose political expediency for the sake of power over his own principles(assuming a politician has any).

He could have fallen on his sword(lets keep 2004 in mind here) and let the opposition take over.I don't think that would have lasted 6 weeks and he would have got his majority in the process...

He chose the weasels way out...And we have now two elections to prove this...

And you don't think at that point in time, the gong show would have spent all that money? That was the point of the coalition. The money was going to be spent anyway. The great what if is how much the opposition would have spent.

If harper would have fallen on his sword at that point in time, it very likely would have taken longer to pay off the deficit if he wereto win an election whenever it would take place, after the coalition agreement expired.

Yes, he did. The choice was be made to look like the bad guy, or let the Bloc Quebecois into the government. He made the right choice.

Care to back up your assertion? Thought not since it never happened, like most of what "you people" have to say... :rolleyes:

With US TARP funds....it happened anyway. Make sure your banks pay me back! ;)

Yep, our Banks got your nearly worthless money, good for them, for YOU, not so much, eh... :D

Be sure to give my thanks to your namesakes... ;)

Well, hell, it worked for Mulroney and Chretien! Don't mess with success! ;)

You are a fish. Bait the hook with what you like and on the line you go. What you said was true - but who represents our buisness community with more influence and presense? Is it Iggy or Harper? _ I would say Harper...because he does not intellectualize when it comes to buisness...if you want to be an intellectual go back to Harvard.