Consider voting a blank ballot

Get out and Vote on May 2nd

Talk to all of your candidates and ask about political reform. If their parties have nothing substantive to say about reform consider voting your ballot blank on May 2 to send a clear positive message. To those considering not voting at all, voting a blank ballot is a more positive action than not voting at all.

For more information www.rejecttheelection.ca

Get out and Vote on May 2nd

Talk to all of your candidates and ask about political reform. If their parties have nothing substantive to say about reform consider voting your ballot blank on May 2 to send a clear positive message. To those considering not voting at all, voting a blank ballot is a more positive action than not voting at all.

For more information www.rejecttheelection.ca

Yeah, because there is nothing I look forward to more on election night than to see how many people spoiled/rejected their ballots! :rolleyes:

Yes it does. It says that you just threw away a right that people have died for and continue to die for. To those of you that do, well done.

:blink:

that's not bothering to cast a ballot at all.

for me, spoiled ballots mean frustration at the political/electoral system, or you don't give a damn about the candidates and wish you live in a different riding. on top of that, spoiled ballots actually contribute to the voter turnout rate, sending out a different message than choosing not to vote.

for me, spoiled ballots mean frustration at the political/electoral system, or you don't give a damn about the candidates and wish you live in a different riding.

So it says that you're someone that's impossible to satisfy, then?

Yes it does. It says that you just threw away a right that people have died for and continue to die for. To those of you that do, well done.

:blink:

:rolleyes:

I'd be impressed by this nonsense if people were giving their lives to ensure politicians and governments can't lie. Thankfully people still have the right to show their disgust by refusing to participate.

Voting just encourages the liars.

I guess it depends on what you think the most important issue facing Canada is?

And that's the point: when a person spoils/rejects their ballot no one else has a clue, exactly, what issue they think is the most important facing Canada.

A different political system? If so, what?

Less corruption? Is so, how?

More choice? If so, why not form another political party to provide that choice.

Etc.

Spoiling/rejecting ballots is almost as ineffectual as not voting at all.

And that's the point: when a person spoils/rejects their ballot no one else has a clue, exactly, what issue they think is the most important facing Canada.

A different political system? If so, what?

Less corruption? Is so, how?

More choice? If so, why not form another political party to provide that choice.

Etc.

Spoiling/rejecting ballots is almost as ineffectual as not voting at all.

Electoral reform

Recall

Citizen's Initiative

Direct election of PM

Fixed election dates

A written Constitutionally limited government

Formal separation of government from the executive

Abolish the Senate

Political finance reform

etc etc etc

Blank ballot is a movement to encourage these reforms. These are all things worth fighting for, far more important that credit card caps and other minor bribes.

Electoral reform

Recall

Citizen's Initiative

Direct election of PM

Fixed election dates

A written Constitutionally limited government

Formal separation of government from the executive

Abolish the Senate

Political finance reform

etc etc etc

Blank ballot is a movement to encourage these reforms. These are all things worth fighting for, far more important that credit card caps and other minor bribes.

Really?

And you honestly think that if enough people spoil/reject their ballots that somehow all of these issues are going to carry through to the politicians and they are going to do something about it?

If you're a politician elected under the current system what's the point of changing it? You're elected in and want to carry out the agenda that you were elected for.

If those issues have you so hot and bothered then why not get off your lazy ass and form a "reform" like party with grass roots support?

Imagine just how much those politicians would have to listen to a party like that - a party that may siphon off 1 or 2 million votes from any of the big 4 parties and create all kinds of opportunities for "coalitions" and compromise on electoral reform.

Really?

And you honestly think that if enough people spoil/reject their ballots that somehow all of these issues are going to carry through to the politicians and they are going to do something about it?

If enough reject their ballots it will send a message, even if a small one. Supporting the status quo sends no message.

If you're a politician elected under the current system what's the point of changing it? You're elected in and want to carry out the agenda that you were elected for.

Ummm, because it is the right and good thing to do, to give the people greater freedom, to make Canada a stronger democracy.

If those issues have you so hot and bothered then why not get off your lazy ass and form a "reform" like party with grass roots support?

We have provincially. Would you like to get off yours and help us?

Imagine just how much those politicians would have to listen to a party like that - a party that may siphon off 1 or 2 million votes from any of the big 4 parties and create all kinds of opportunities for "coalitions" and compromise on electoral reform.

Yes. Imagine.

If enough reject their ballots it will send a message, even if a small one. Supporting the status quo sends no message.

Ummm, because it is the right and good thing to do, to give the people greater freedom, to make Canada a stronger democracy.

We have provincially. Would you like to get off yours and help us?

Yes. Imagine.

I'm not about to help your organization since I am ok with the current system: it is the worst system except for all the others and that's fine by me.

I don't necessarily agree with some of the reforms that you have mentioned and there is such a thing as unintended consequences that would result from any reform (for good and bad).

If a political party came along and ran on some of the issues you mentioned then I would consider voting for them.

But I expect explicit platforms - yes, I actually read the platforms for the parties before voting (I don't bother with the BQ since they don't run in BC).

I really do think that you are making a mistake.

You assume that the rest of us are going to pick up on your anger and that we would know what it is that you want.

The fact is we will not know what you want unless you explicitly tell us and the only way to do that is to campaign and stand on soap boxes (figuratively speaking).

By spoiling/rejecting your ballot you are ensuring that we don't know, and, therefore, we will not care about whatever issues you think are important because we only care, and only vote on, issues that we care about.

IOW, your spoil/rejection voting practice only silences your own cause and your assuming that the rest of us are supposed to just know, or guess, what that silence is supposed to mean is passive aggressive behaviour that one expects from a child or teenager rather than an engaged adult.

If you want your agenda for reform to go through then fight for it directly.

Let's not pretend that more people spoiling/rejecting their ballots is going to lead to some kind of spontaneous reform all by itself.

So that I understand, you don't want to be able to directly elect your leader?

That doesn't work in our system of government, never mind formal separation of powers between the executive and the legislative branches (since the governor in council is part of the legislative branch, and must be accountable to said branch) and the idea that minorities can't end in an election outside of a fixed date. I really don't think you understand Westminster Parliamentary Democracy.