Federal Election Polls

How many voters in 40 like the fact that Harper has convicted criminals in his inner circle, or ministers who falsify forms, or shady in-and-out electoral financing practices?

As much as you keep playing it it's not working.

Sorry, and I thought you were going to talk about something current like those fighter jets. After all what's 15-20 billion dollar cost overruns, when you can just stick it to the taxpayer if you can get away with it. Competent fiscal managers my ass.

Unless Jack Layton becomes PM the fighters will be bought. The Liberal party entered into an agreement to start funding them years ago, and their only real objection to them now is that the Tories didn't spend a couple of more years in red tape, studies and bidding before agreeing to buy them.

I absolutely agree with what you are saying here toad!And part of that process is to inform the minority government that they are just that and if they do not co-operate the opposition will seek all their opptions out to implement what they feel is in the best interest of their electorate!

In other words to drive a sence of fear into the minority if they do not co-operate.

This is a fact and it is in the history books!

If your interpretation is different then mine and you don't like it then eat cake buddy!

If you want to put up walls thats your problem not mine!

WWWTT

If it's in the history books, why have you refused to provide any citation on it?

If it's in the history books, why have you refused to provide any citation on it?

Provide any citation of what had occured in Ottawa in early 09?

What are you talking about?

How can I take you serious when you write things like this?

You should think about what you are writing and how it reflects upon yourself and how others may view you!

Give it up buddy!

WWWTT

But the systems both remain very close in function. Minority governments are rare in both countries, and coalitions are both very rare.

The systems are close, the cultures are not so close. I think that if the Liberals had mentioned a coalition prior to the last election it would not have gone over as poorly. But the sudden emergence of one weeks after the election, with a very unpopular, weak, and totally rejected Stephan Dion at the helm seems to have had an overwhelmingly negative cultural impact on Canadians' thinking about coalitions. And quite aside from that, Canadians outside Quebec can't stomach the thought of the BQ as a formal part of any government.

Another thought. Exempting French Quebec, the Tories got a massive majority in the last election. As such, I think it's fair to assume that a substantial number of people outside French Quebec feel the Tories are their legitimate representatives. Having the separatist Bloc Quebecois, who openly say they care nothing for Canada, but only for Quebec, change that will infuriate many.

Perhaps. But it is the perception of people that matters.

I am genuinely interested how some French Canadians will change their vote if they believe that Harper's Conservatives will form a majority government. I'm also curious to know how some English Canadian voters will change their vote if they believe that Harper will win a majority.

This French Canadian will DEFFINATELY be voting conservative. The Bloc has no vision for Canada. They could care less about Canada. They care only about Quebec. A vote for the Bloc is a vote AGAINST Canada.

This French Canadian will DEFFINATELY be voting conservative. The Bloc has no vision for Canada. They could care less about Canada. They care only about Quebec. A vote for the Bloc is a vote AGAINST Canada.

And yet the Bloc will likely keep pretty close to the seat count now... Ah my, how wishful thinking rapidly becomes statements of fact in the mind of a partisan.

What makes you think most Quebecers care about Canada as opposed to only caring about Quebec?

Wow. Ignatieff's personal support is down to single digits in PQ. Even I didn't think things were THAT bad for the Liberals. They used to be able to count on enough support in Quebec to make up for their absence in the west.

And yet the Bloc will likely keep pretty close to the seat count now... Ah my, how wishful thinking rapidly becomes statements of fact in the mind of a partisan.

You got that right TB. The Bloc will get their usual 45-55 seats. If Duceppe ran across Canada it would be amazing the support he would get.

OK, check this one out.

CROP

For Quebec

B - 38%

C - 23%

N - 20%

L - 11%

G - 8%

Among Francophones

B - 44%

N - 21%

C - 21%

L - 7%

Le PLC à son plus bas au Québec

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/elections-federales/201103/26/01-4383408-le-plc-a-son-plus-bas-au-quebec.php

I haven't been following quebec polling numbers but those are shocking liberal numbers to me.

I haven't been following quebec polling numbers but those are shocking liberal numbers to me.

Makes one wonder why Ignateiff pushed for an election at this time. Was he just tired of it all, saw no hope of improvement and wanted to get it over with so he could go back to Harvard?

Makes one wonder why Ignateiff pushed for an election at this time. Was he just tired of it all, saw no hope of improvement and wanted to get it over with so he could go back to Harvard?

I still think there are internal polling that puts a different face on things than we're seeing thus far. The Tories didn't seem keen for this election and the Opposition seemed bound and determined to force it.

Of course, it's possible that we're simply seeing the forces that inevitably see minority governments fall.

Yes, it's too bad in a way he's a separatist. He's frequently the most sensible leader in the House.

I'm curious toad,when did Duceppe say he wanted to actually have Quebec seperated from Canada?

WWWTT

I'm curious toad,when did Duceppe say he wanted to actually have Quebec seperated from Canada?

WWWTT

When he was born. I'm joking. It's the thing to do in Quebec, and it's no biggie. Who cares about Quebec separation - it's not as if Quebec is going to get up and move if they want a separate nation, is it? Anyway I like Quebec and it is part of what makes Canada a good place to be.

Edited by Harry

WWWTT

Duceppe has no choice but to represent the Bloc's raison d'être and to push it forward.

From the Bloc's website.

MISSION

Its basic mission is the promotion and realization of the sovereignty of Quebec after a democratic decision of Quebecers in this direction.

http://www.blocquebecois.org/dossiers/parti/principe.aspx

Even if Duceppe resigned as leader the mission of the Bloc would remain unchanged.

The Quebec poll to watch is this one:

Un coup de sonde de la firme Segma pour Le Soleil auprès de 622 personnes place le Bloc québécois à 37 % dans les intentions de vote, contre 30 % pour le Parti conservateur, 14 % pour le Parti libéral, 9 % pour le Nouveau Parti démocratique et 8 % pour le Parti vert. La marge d'erreur est de 4,1 %.

«Ces résultats présagent un possible renversement du portrait de la région», évoque Raynald Harvey, de Segma.

À l'issue du dernier scrutin fédéral, les conservateurs avaient le meilleur sur les bloquistes à Québec par un score de 36 % à 33 %.

Le Soleil

With numbers like this, Harper will not keep his 10 Quebec seats. OTOH, Quebec media has started to talk about a Conservative majority across Canada. If this becomes the norm, then some Quebecer voters will switch from the Bloc to the Conservatives to ensure that they have representation inside government.

-----

On a related note, I'm impressed with the NDP numbers in Quebec. The Liberals and the NDP are about equal. Unfortunately for the NDP, their numbers are spread across Quebec whereas the Liberal votes are concentrated in certain areas.

I also think that the unpopular Charest and PLQ are bringing down Ignatieff and the PLC.