Federal Election Polls

it took the Conservatives 6 years to get out of deficits despite their stimulus spending being short term my worry with the Liberal plan is the spending seems long term and if there is a credible plan to return to balance. I think there is a need to the Gov to raise revenue but i'm not a fan of class politics nor do i think tax cuts do much to solve some of our serious economic challenges, Similar to the GST in that it was great politics but unsound policy i dont see how taxing the rich to pay for the middle class is going to kick start our 2 trillion dollar economy

What is unsound about the GST? A lot of the world uses VATs.

What is unsound about the GST? A lot of the world uses VATs.

sorry i meant the GST cut from 7 to 5 percent. From my understanding the GST though unpopular at the time was actually a good move. In general i actually would like to see higher consumption taxes with an off set in income taxes with the necessary adjustments needed so it doesn't hurt low income familes.

sorry i meant the GST cut from 7 to 5 percent. From my understanding the GST though unpopular at the time was actually a good move. In general i actually would like to see higher consumption taxes with an off set in income taxes with the necessary adjustments needed so it doesn't hurt low income familes.

Absolutely. GST should be bumped up and income taxes reduced. I'm a firm believer in the superiority of consumption taxes.

Absolutely. GST should be bumped up and income taxes reduced. I'm a firm believer in the superiority of consumption taxes.

Absolutely I agree.

I just saw Justin Trudeau campaigning in Nepean today. HE IS GOOD!!!.

Justin Trudeau promised to work very hard to bring a better government. While he admired past conservative party members and prime ministers who worked hard for the poor and held highest values and promoted Canadian values but he said (and I agree) THIS conservative party has broken ties with a past progressive party and lost the progressive part by wedge politics and personal attacks and politics of fear and undermining Canadian values.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

it took the Conservatives 6 years to get out of deficits despite their stimulus spending being short term my worry with the Liberal plan is the spending seems long term and if there is a credible plan to return to balance. I think there is a need to the Gov to raise revenue but i'm not a fan of class politics nor do i think tax cuts do much to solve some of our serious economic challenges, Similar to the GST in that it was great politics but unsound policy i dont see how taxing the rich to pay for the middle class is going to kick start our 2 trillion dollar economy

It's a good sound bite. Plus the budget will balance itself so don't worry about it.

Liberals marching towards a majority based on Nanos poll released October 12 - Yahoooooooooooo :)

Liberals - 35.7%

conservatives - 28.9%

NDP - 24.9%

http://www.nanosresearch.com/library/polls/20151011%20Ballot%20TrackingE.pdf

One more week to go. Liberals surging in vote rich Ontario at 45% over Tories stuck at 32-33% while catching up to Tories in British Columbia at 29%.. And only 4% separates NDP and Liberals in Quebec now at 32.7% and 28.7% respectively.

National Ballot – The latest Nanos tracking completed on the holiday weekend has the Liberals at 35.7% nationally followed by the Conservatives at 28.9%, the NDP at 24.3% and the Greens at 4.8%. • Accessible Vote – Asked a series of independent questions as to whether they would vote for each federal party, 52.7% of Canadians would consider voting for the Liberals, 42.3% would consider voting for the NDP, 38.1% would consider voting for the Conservatives, 26.3% would consider voting for the Greens and 34.3% of Quebecers would consider voting for the BQ.

Ekos has the numbers a lot closer, still a dead heat.

Liberals - 33.1%

Conservatives - 35.5%

NDP - 19.0%

Tie Continues - EKOS

The Liberals could do worse, but they would have a lot of work ahead of them to screw up as bad as the Conservatives.

How so? They've piled up large deficits every year since 2002. They've had Ontario's credit rating downgraded. Ontario pays more for energy than anywhere in North America. They've hollowed out Ontario's manufacturing base, and chased businesses out of the province. They've also turned Ontario from a have province to a have not province, now qualifying for equalization payments. All while increasing taxes on everyone. I don't think anyone could beat that. It makes Rae Days look like sound fiscal governance.

It is not to hard to understand. Voters tend to put a party in charge and leave them there until they are sick of them. The voters weren't sick of the CPC in 2011. Now are and any Liberal leader - including Ignatieff would be looking at becoming the next PM today. IOW, attack ads only work when then already capture voter sentiments. When they go against those sentiments they don't work or even backfire.

See this time around i know harper has been in for too long and people are sick of him and had the liberals had a different leader than trudeau i would seriously look at them. However a lot of people have bought into this tax the rich nonsense with excessive deficit spending.

I think people assume interest rates are going to stay low forever. I think the status quo opinion now is that trudeau is foing to win and i think he will get two or three terms if interest rates stay low. Unfortunately the next generation of canadians are going to be paying through the nose for this upcoming spending spree and the interest on it.

If i were tory party brass i would be pitching french lessons to brad wall as i cant find a right of centre person as likeable as him.

Trudeau just rejected Harper's claim (who was a game show host earlier this morning) and said a Liberal government WILL RETAIN all tax credits and he said conservative leader resorts to lies about him and his policies to scare Canadians into voting for him and that shows his desperation.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

How so? They've piled up large deficits every year since 2002. They've had Ontario's credit rating downgraded. Ontario pays more for energy than anywhere in North America. They've hollowed out Ontario's manufacturing base, and chased businesses out of the province. They've also turned Ontario from a have province to a have not province, now qualifying for equalization payments. All while increasing taxes on everyone. I don't think anyone could beat that. It makes Rae Days look like sound fiscal governance.

But people like the environmental movement and high government spending, especially ontario people as they keep electing them.

Trudeau just rejected Harper's claim (who was a game show host earlier this morning) and said a Liberal government WILL RETAIN all tax credits and he said conservative leader resorts to lies about him and his policies to scare Canadians into voting for him and that shows his desperation.

Its simple, the tories are conveying a message of saying no to spending and programs etc. while the liberals are saying yes to spending and programs etc. its far easier to convince someone to say yes to something than to tell them no and to suck it up.

Liberals - 33.1%

Conservatives - 35.5%

NDP - 19.0%

Tie Continues - EKOS

I suspect that it's even a point or two higher, many voters probably don't want to tell pollsters they're going to vote for Harper out of fear of being dubbed a racist. Inching closer to a majority!

Its simple, the tories are conveying a message of saying no to spending and programs etc. while the liberals are saying yes to spending and programs etc. its far easier to convince someone to say yes to something than to tell them no and to suck it up.

Exactly. Especially when they're promised they won't be the ones that will have to pay for it.

In this campaign alone he has changed what he has set out to do. No deficits to 10 bill a year.

I don't believe him.

Pretty sure that John McCallum said that the tax credits will be on the table during their fiscal costing conference which i don't mind because i'm not sure many know how to take advantage of tax credits but i think you can say the same about some government spending programs. There might be a percentage of canadians that are unaware of how to use credits or programs to their advantage.

Edited by Triple M

Kathleen Wynne and Justin T push the exact same policies. Wynne has come out strongly endorsing her federal counterpart.

this is the Federal Politics forum... this thread is about the 2015 Federal election. The Ontario premier has been noticeably absent, in a federal context, over the latter part of the federal campaign. Are you saying you can't find critical review/comment at the federal level?

such a disjointed statement... are you even following this election? There will be no majority government regardless of which party "wins" the election

I disagree. I think there's a small chance that the Conservatives or Liberals could win enough seats to scrape out a very slim majority.

I disagree. I think there's a small chance that the Conservatives or Liberals could win enough seats to scrape out a very slim majority.

based on what? Regardless of one's favoured party, aggregate polling suggests the need for a "swing" of between 40-to-50 ridings for either of the two leading parties to form a majority. Anyone can pull out a single poll from a favoured pollster and run with that!

In BC, the Liberal government has had three straight balanced budgets, our jobless rate is one of the 2 or 3 lowest in the land. Our credit rating is good. As far as I can tell, businesses seem to love BC. This is a LIBERAL government here.

However, there is growing dismay because the government is not taking the needs of the less advantaged in BC seriously. It's not too much fun seeing constant news stories about homeless people, uptick in people using food banks, child poverty rates rising above the national average. They seem willing to sacrifice environment for economic advantage. This failure to take care of social issues as well as 'business' issues may cost the government the next election.

My opinion is that its a mistake to decide that all Liberal governments are the same, or all NDP governments are the same whether its comparing province to province, federal to federal or province to federal. Too much relies on who is at the helm, and the world outside the current government's influence. It's for that reason I don't put much stock in the claims that Harper 'failed' in his economic leadership. We did come through 2008-2009 relatively unscathed, partly due to the current government's policy, but also partly due to what had gone on prior to his taking office. I vote against him because for me, economic policy/record is only part of the entire picture of what makes a good leader.

It may take me some time to get the bad taste of Stephen Harper's government out of my mouth, but it would be stupid of me to assume a Conservative government at another time or place will be equally as objectionable.

Edited by dialamah

The only party having a real chance for a majority government is the Liberal party of Canada and even that based on two conditions. That the Nanos daily polls putting them ahead by 6 to 7% is correct and second that this lead is even widen further by another 3 to 4% over the next 7 days. The conservative party at best has 33% of support and has little or no chance to form a majority government.

Liberals - 33.1%

Conservatives - 35.5%

NDP - 19.0%

Tie Continues - EKOS

Ekos has always been out of touch. Only two weeks ago while all the polls were reporting statistical tie between liberals and conservatives they suddenly reported a likely conservative majority on September 29!!! and they had the worst record on predicting the 2011 election among all polls. I never even trust this pollster as I have said before.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015