Fahrenheit 9/11 & Harper

And it is incredible how so very wrong Stephen Harper's position was, wanting to send Canadian troops to Iraq.

Do you have a quote that supports that Harper wanted to send troops to Iraq, as opposed to just "support" our allies?

Stephen Harper should get down on his knees and beg Canadian's forgiveness for such a major blunder.

What blunder did he commit that you feel he needs to beg forgiveness for?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stoker........Canadians are not morons.

"Shoulder to shoulder" with American troops in Iraq cannot be any more clearer.

Get out Harper's letter to the WSJ.

For supporting the invasion of Iraq that was a collosal blunder, confirmed by the exposure of all the lies and deceit, that has been documented over the past year.

It takes courage for someone to admit they were wrong.

It is time for Harper to do the right thing. ;)

stoker........Canadians are not morons.

"Shoulder to shoulder" with American troops in Iraq cannot be any more clearer.

Get out Harper's letter to the WSJ.

The only morons are those that think Harper would have sent troops............We had no frigging troops to send even he had of wanted to (Which I've not yet seen proof to say he did).

For supporting the invasion of Iraq that was a collosal blunder, confirmed by the exposure of all the lies and deceit, that has been documented over the past year.

It takes courage for someone to admit they were wrong.

It is time for Harper to do the right thing.

Hindsite is 20/20 as they say, regardless a free Iraq is nothing one should feel sorry for..........We could also point out that if Harper had of been PM and if he had of supported the war, hence not further strain relations between Canada and the United States, we would not be feeling the huge negative impact from Mad Cow, SARS and softwood lumber..........

I want Chretien and the Liberals to beg forgiveness to those that have been affected by the negative relations we now have with the United States.

Well we are at it, I want Crawford to beg forgiveness for not putting Wayne out on the shootout........ :rolleyes:

That is another part of the "BIG LIE"

Of course we had troops, what do you think we have in Alghanastan? Robots?

What's this nonsense that Canada's military is in trouble?

When there is a legitimate need Canada has proven itself to be there.

The idea that going into Iraq was going to in some way deal with the perpetrators of 9/11 is a crook, you now know it, I now know it, and most everyone knows it now.

Even most Americans now realize that this Bush excursion was a huge mistake. :ph34r:

So when someone makes such a serious error in judgement, they need to be removed from position of power or influence, so as to not cause further irreputable harm. :lol:

That is another part of the "BIG LIE"

Of course we had troops, what do you think we have in Alghanastan? Robots?

What's this nonsense that Canada's military is in trouble?

At the time we had about 2000 in Afghanistain, and by doing that it has screwed up the process of training new troops and giving time to those that need a break......it will take years to recover........again there were no avaliable troops to send to Iraq.

As for the forces being in trouble, if your that ignorant you don't even deserve a reply.

So when someone makes such a serious error in judgement, they need to be removed from position of power or influence, so as to not cause further irreputable harm.  :lol: 

I think you have some issues to address if you think there is any humour within this topic.

To anyone who is concerned about Canada's weakened military position, I recommend that you go and sign up.

And if you are distressed that Canada does not have troops in Iraq, by all means go down to the US and sign up.

There is way too much fearmongering in our society these days, and some people are trying to use it as an excuse to turn Canada into a police state.

If we get into some kind of a national crisis, like we always have in the past, Canadians will rise to the occasion. Think of it like a neighbour's house catching on fire. We have firepeople, neighbours, community groups, and governments to help out.

Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 movie has shown us what fearmongering can lead to. Thank goodness there are people like him around to challenge the nonsense permeating from South of the border.

Current Operations

More than 3,800 Canadian soldiers, sailors and Air Force personnel are deployed overseas on operational missions. On any given day, about 8,000 Canadian Forces members - one third of our deployable force - are preparing for, engaged in or returning from an overseas mission.

Since 1947, the CF has completed 72 international operations. That figure does not include current operations, or the many CF operations carried out in Canada.

To anyone who is concerned about Canada's weakened military position, I recommend that you go and sign up.

And if you are distressed that Canada does not have troops in Iraq, by all means go down to the US and sign up.

Perhaps you should go and serve, then get back to us about how peachy keen the current state of the Canadian Forces are. For the job they do, I see it as criminal how they have been treated for the last 30+ years.

As for going down to the States, no amount of Canadian immigrants to the United States will better the US/Canada relationship..........{see Vietnam}

There is way too much fearmongering in our society these days, and some people are trying to use it as an excuse to turn Canada into a police state.

If we get into some kind of a national crisis, like we always have in the past, Canadians will rise to the occasion. Think of it like a neighbour's house catching on fire. We have firepeople, neighbours, community groups, and governments to help out.

Who is trying to turn Canada into a police state? The two federal parties both understand that the forces are on life support and need to be saved (one party more then the other).

As for your second paragraph, I see that you like many other Canadians are either ignorant of history or just don't care, based on that attitude. If we had of had a larger professional miltiary at the onset of the great wars and Korea, the number of Canadian's killed wouldn't have been as large due to the fact that they wouldn't be "learning on the job".

No fear mongering, just fact.

This is a good part:

When Frugal Isn’t Smart

Canada spends approximately $395 per capita on defence.[1]

The United Kingdom spends approximately $1,425 per capita on defence.[2]

The United States spends approximately $2,000 per capita on defence.[3]

Although Canada, in the current context of international terrorism, is clearly much more of a military target than most of the world’s smaller countries, it ranks 153rd in defence spending out of 192 countries based on percentage of GDP.[4]

Canada ranked 13th out of 18 NATO nations in per capita defence spending – ahead of Poland, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Turkey and Spain.[5]

At approximately 31 million people, Canada has the world’s 34th largest population. It has the 56th-largest regular military forces; the 77th largest military reserves.[6]

As of August 31, 2002, Canada ranked 34th in the world in its contribution to world peacekeeping missions, supplying less than 1 per cent of international peacekeepers in action.[

This is all right-wing fear mongering, whether it is the school system, the health care system, the military, whatever. Our institutions are doing quite fine thank you. You seem so unhappy here in Canada. Why don't you move to where you would be happier?

And why in the world would we want closer relations with the US? We need to move away from them as much as possible. Haven't the softwood lumber industry or the cattle industry crisises taught you anything.

Why in the world would you compare Canada's military spending with the UK or the US, the two biggest war mongering nations on the planet?

Please don't let anyone stop you. Go join the armed forces if you like it so much!

In terms of GDP, the United Kingdom's spending is aligned with that of the NATO average, which we very much are skirting.

This is all right-wing fear mongering, whether it is the school system, the health care system, the military, whatever. Our institutions are doing quite fine thank you. You seem so unhappy here in Canada. Why don't you move to where you would be happier?

Should I get out my tin foil hat? You must be smoking some good dope to think that our School system, Healthcare system and military are "doing quite fine".

WRT leaving Canada, as I made clear in another thread (for fear of going off topic), I'm more then willing to wait until Quebec goes in the next few years, then start looking at the West leaving.

And why in the world would we want closer relations with the US? We need to move away from them as much as possible. Haven't the softwood lumber industry or the cattle industry crisises taught you anything.

Who do you suggest we replace the vast majority of our trade with then? :rolleyes:

WRT softwood lumber and Mad Cow, it's all on the wheel......we don't play ball with their issues, why should they play ball with us on our issues?

• 2 weeks later...

Kuwait Bans 'Fahrenheit 9/11'

Kuwait City - Kuwait, a major U.S. ally in the Persian Gulf, has banned Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11" because it deems the movie insulting to the Saudi Arabian royal family and critical of America's invasion of Iraq, an official said Sunday.

"We have a law that prohibits insulting friendly nations, and ties between Kuwait and Saudi Arabia are special," Abdul-Aziz Bou Dastour, cinema and production supervisor at the Information Ministry, told The Associated Press.

He said the film "insulted the Saudi royal family by saying they had common interests with the Bush family and that those interests contradicted with the interests of the American people."

Wow, what it's like to live in dictatorship, where someone else will decide what you see and watch, and what you don't see and watch. I think I'll pass on taking my next vacation in Kuwait.

Wow, what it's like to live in dictatorship, where someone else will decide what you see and watch, and what you don't see and watch. I think I'll pass on taking my next vacation in Kuwait.

Probaly the same as it is to live in a "democracy" that allows the CRTC to ban FOX news from coming into my home.

Probaly the same as it is to live in a "democracy" that allows the CRTC to ban FOX news from coming into my home.

LOL

I was thinking of joining the Rangers, but I need a green card. However I am 99% sure I will try out for a military policeman.

Our institutions are doing quite fine thank you. You seem so unhappy here in Canada. Why don't you move to where you would be happier?

Ask my grandfather who had to wait 6 MONTHS FOR A HIP REPLACEMENT. Have you ever been in an ER recently. Try getting out of your parents basement once in a while.

Why in the world would you compare Canada's military spending with the UK or the US, the two biggest war mongering nations on the planet?

Please don't let anyone stop you. Go join the armed forces if you like it so much!

The United States and the United Kingdom are havens for freedom in the world, while Canada is a haven for criminals from the US, terrorists, and that coward who does'nt want to serve his country.

I'd rather have Canada a haven for those who wish to live in a free country.

Are you an idiot, America is our only real trading partner. If we don't open the borders with American's we are basically doomed for cattlemen. Not to mention most farmers would prefer trade with the US, because it is harder to ship beef overseas.

If Kerry wins it'll get even worse for Canada.

PS: I'm going to join up with the Military Police because they are the only well funded branch of the military.

• 1 month later...

Michael Moore roars again, with another good point:

Put Away Your Hankies...a Message from Michael Moore

I agree with him here. The progressive forces have to stop whining like sniveling dogs if they expect to get support. Where is their backbone? They need to learn to lie and cheat just like the right, and project the bullshit image of winners, all the time, every time. :lol:

That Michael Moore message is truly pathetic. I get the impression that the Dems prefer to be "marginal" rather than "commercial".

imdb has fahrenheit 9/11 grossing $118 million in the US by 20 September. So, I guess about 10-15 million saw the movie - about 80% of whom are registered Democrats.

Schwarzenegger got more undecided to cross over with his "girly man" line.

They need to learn to lie and cheat just like the right, and project the bullshit image of winners, all the time, every time.
I'm glad to see that you have such a high esteem for ordinary people. Or is it rather that you like your smug position of superiority, being different from the hoi-polloi, above the chubby, Wal Mart masses.

I agree with him here. The progressive forces have to stop whining like sniveling dogs if they expect to get support. Where is their backbone? They need to learn to lie and cheat just like the right, and project the bullshit image of winners, all the time, every time.

Why do the Repub's need to project anything? They are the winners........didn't you read Moore's message?

What amazes me is the guilibility of the average American voter. How could they possibly think that the GOP policies are in their best interests? The Republican Party represents pure and simple, Big Oil, the Transnationals, etc. What do these organizations have in common with Joe and Jane USA? Absolutely nothing, but the sick twisted media in the US, has perverted the democratic process there, and basically destroyed their democracy. Let's face it, the US is bordering on fascism. :angry:

Good post MS. I agree, the Repubs no longer have any connection to Joe and Jane USA or even small or medium companies. Just the people who pay their campaign bills from their large corporate towers with other people's money and it is definately bordering on fascism I completely agree. The media is taking on the ethics of market efficiency and not journalistic integrity or diversity and you cannot have a healthy democracy under those conditions.

Canada held out till Mulroney but our conservatives are going the same way along with out media.