Fox News North?

Shwa

GWiz , you need to show proof that SunTV news will not be going to air in the very near future. That date is slated as being April 18,2011. We're still waiting to hear otherwise. If you have proof of this, please post on it.

Thank you.

Why? It's right there on the first OP post of this thread, which isn't my thread btw... It's linked..

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? It's right there on the first OP post of this thread, which isn't my thread btw... It's linked..

If it is there, you should have no problem quoting it. But it ain't...so you will have to dodge again.

Is the Globe and Mail a "useless, partisan rag" lukin? Is it?? I DARE you to answer. :lol:
Shwa, increasingly so. The G&M was always a Toronto paper but now it's a left wing, Toronto paper. The ROB is Toronto-centred, but OK.
Believe it or not there are actually people that believe Faux (Fox) News is "fair and unbiased" as they like to call themselves...
And believe it or not, there are people who believe the English CBC is "fair and unbiased".

GWiz, how would you feel if CRTC bureaucrats ordered the CBC to change its content? Because that's the issue here. Imagine if the CBC was forced to play Rush Lumbaugh and Mark Steyn.

Should bureaucrats have the power to decide what is "fair and unbiased"?

IMHO Sun-TV will fail, IF it gets off the ground, simply because it will not be able to cater to a large enough demographic in Canada being a "right leaning" news station little different than the CTV news channel already is...
Maybe. But it won't benefit from a CBC/Radio-Canadio taxpayer subsidy of over $1 billion.

The playing field is not so level.

(And please don't say that MSM corporations are rich and bias the playing field with a right wing, Neo-Con agenda. Corporations answer to shareholders who are free to sell shares on any business day. And those shareholders are often union created, public sector pension funds seeking high returns.)

Edited by August1991

No it is not, the first link is about the CRTC and 'false news', no mention of SunTV, the second link from Huff Po is a complete farce, I thought it was from The Onion. LOL

still struggling, scribbler? Why so literal? As I said, as I understand GWiz to say, clearly, in the worst traditions of unfair/unbalanced FoxNews... FoxNewsNorth has been wounded without a regulatory opening to allow it to broadcast "false and misleading" news... ergo... FoxNewsNorth will not operate... in the worst traditions of unfair/unbalanced FoxNews. Why are you (and others) having such difficulty with what's being stated/implied? :lol:

still struggling, scribbler? Why so literal? As I said, as I understand GWiz to say, clearly, in the worst traditions of unfair/unbalanced FoxNews... FoxNewsNorth has been wounded without a regulatory opening to allow it to broadcast "false and misleading" news... ergo... FoxNewsNorth will not operate... in the worst traditions of unfair/unbalanced FoxNews. Why are you (and others) having such difficulty with what's being stated/implied? :lol:

Can you give some examples of this constant "false news by Fox News"? Is CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC always factual? How about the useless CBC in Canada?

False news, you mean the kind the great liberal journaist Dan Rather preached? Is that what you mean by false news?

When you claim false news, why don't you ever mention MSNBC? Is it because MSNBC's false news is to your liking. Hmmmm...

Sun NEWS is a go. Pop a cork waldo.

Edited by lukin

Sun NEWS is a go. Pop a cork waldo.

why yes... I've stated many times... it'll be comedy gold, real gold. One word - EzraLevant! But... it will forge it's path without a regulatory opening to follow in the fine traditions of false and misleading Fox News... in the worst traditions of unfair/unbalanced FoxNews. That it will forever be branded FoxNewsNorth is just... gravy! :lol:

why yes... I've stated many times... it'll be comedy gold, real gold. One word - EzraLevant! But... it will forge it's path without a regulatory opening to follow in the fine traditions of false and misleading Fox News... in the worst traditions of unfair/unbalanced FoxNews. That it will forever be branded FoxNewsNorth is just... gravy! :lol:

Misleading news..ala CBS, CNN, MSNBC, CBC? ;)

You'll end up being as wrong as you are lonely. :lol:

BTW..Ezra Levant is two words. :rolleyes:

Edited by lukin

I don't read any reference to "withdrawn"... I'm not sure why you continue to keep to your preferred literal translation, particularly as you also commented on an operational affect/impact.

I'm well aware that many are of the opinion that Sun TV needed this change to make good on their plans for the style of broadcasting they've said they want to do. That's a valid opinion.

So why the literalism? Because GWiz makes two claims of fact that are demonstrably false:

Let's see if I've got this straight... In order for this so called "Fox News North" (Sun-TV) channel to get approval from the CRTC the CRTC needed to CHANGE a regulation... The CRTC has decided NOT to change said regulation... Because of there being NO CHANGE in said regulation the so called "Fox News North" (Sun-TV) channel can NOT get CRTC approval to operate...

Both bolded items are claims of fact, not opinions. And both are wrong.

Clearly, in the worst traditions of unfair/unbalanced FoxNews... FoxNewsNorth has been wounded without a regulatory opening to allow it to broadcast "false and misleading" news.

I doubt it, actually. I think one could operate the worst sort of "yellow journalism" imaginable without ever publishing anything that was provably false (some on the left have complained that this already happens in Canada.) I actually don't think this is going to be much an obstacle at all for Sun TV, even if their intentions are exactly as sinister as the lefties believe.

-k

A good read indeed, but based on the US model, which is where the Huffington commentary comes in...

Canada has SAFEGUARDS in place, which weren't changed, to prevent FLAGRANT FALSE PROPAGANDA, such as is the (US) Fox "News" model which is STRICTLY a propaganda for profit model of FALSE and MISLEADING "news" with a designed purpose... On the "left", in the US, there is MSNBC, but to a far lesser degree than the "extreme bias" on the "FAR right" that Fox "News" typifies...

But the Propaganda model is far less concerned with the more outrageous claims and methods, and focuses primarily on the so-called "elite" news media, the allegedly leftist NYTmes, Washington Post, an so on.

I don't really see how Canada's major media is superior to American major media. They're practically the same beast.

CBC, too, spent an entire day showing and re-showing the fall of Saddam's statue, making the requisite comparisons to the Berlin Wall, and without the necessary context (easily accessible to them) required to inform us that it was a propaganda exercise.

Edited by bloodyminded

The link to the Huff Po piece in the first post is an example of yellow journalism, although the majority of the article is actually demonstrably false.

How so?

Since all it does is make a comparison to the US in how our CRTC views "news" vs "propaganda" and that Canada does NOT have the same laws governing American style "free speech"; THANK GOODNESS...

Much of the piece is not factual, Fox News is in Canada, but even if he means SunTV, that too has been approved. There are other errors which is too bad because the Americans on there are lapping it up.

If lapping up is the same as applauding you are correct. Many Americans are applauding a sage decision by the CRTC, there should be no place in broadcasting for false or misleading news.

If lapping up is the same as applauding you are correct. Many Americans are applauding a sage decision by the CRTC, there should be no place in broadcasting for false or misleading news.

That's because the Americans want to remain the top dogs for free speech....Canada has something...less.

You mean like NBC News fabricating a report on GM truck fires, and then admitting that they made the whole thing up? Or CBS News, fabricating George Bush's National Guard documents, and then admitting they made the whole thing up? Or like The New York Times and Jayson Blair, admitting to completely fabricating serveral stories. Or like CNN admitting to covering up stories of Saddam Hussein in order for them to keep a bureau open in Bagdad? You mean like that stuff?

Yeah, I also hate those damn false and misleading news outlets. :lol:

The amin fight with the CRTC and Sun TV was about applying for a Cat 1 status channel meaning that all providers are forced to carry it. However they then changed the application to a Cat 2 status which was easily granted as it usually is as it's quite routine form what I understand. Cat 2 status means that cable providers can choose whether to carry the channel or not. So if these people are so against Sun TV News they should be putting pressure on the cable and satellite providers to not carry it.

Not blathering on about it in the newspapers.

You mean like NBC News fabricating a report on GM truck fires, and then admitting that they made the whole thing up? Or CBS News, fabricating George Bush's National Guard documents, and then admitting they made the whole thing up? Or like The New York Times and Jayson Blair, admitting to completely fabricating serveral stories. Or like CNN admitting to covering up stories of Saddam Hussein in order for them to keep a bureau open in Bagdad? You mean like that stuff?

Yeah, I also hate those damn false and misleading news outlets. :lol:

As do I and that is why many Americans, included me, wish we had a regulation in place like Canada’s prohibiting broadcasters from airing “any false or misleading news”, hence we applauded the decision to keep the regulation intact.

As do I and that is why many Americans, included me, wish we had a regulation in place like Canada’s prohibiting broadcasters from airing “any false or misleading news”, hence we applauded the decision to keep the regulation intact.

Except that so-called false and/or misleading news gets aired all the time. Who's to say what's misleading? Sometimes it's in the eye of the beholder. And I don't want that to be the government.

The Conservative Party is alleging the CBC purposefully misled viewers by airing a report that, it said, suggests the National Rifle Association was helping them abolish the long-gun registry.

Jenni Byrne, the party's head of political operations, wrote CBC Ombudsman Vince Carlin last week over what she said was concern by the public broadcaster's "blatant agenda-driven reporting."

Link

Once again, the leftwing mantra seems to be "freedom of speech for me, but not for thee." At least Sun TV News couldn't operate on tax payer money, like um, other so-called news outlets.

The Conservative Party is alleging the CBC purposefully misled viewers by airing a report that, it said, suggests the National Rifle Association was helping them abolish the long-gun registry.

Jenni Byrne, the party's head of political operations, wrote CBC Ombudsman Vince Carlin last week over what she said was concern by the public broadcaster's "blatant agenda-driven reporting."

Once again, the leftwing mantra seems to be "freedom of speech for me, but not for thee." At least Sun TV News couldn't operate on tax payer money, like um, other so-called news outlets.

btw... was there any response from the Conservative Party to the CBC Ombudsman's review, hey? :lol: Should we wait to hear you chide the independent, trusted work of the intermediary ombudsman?

CONCLUSION:

The item was a reasonable summary of the interest that a very important American lobbying group has taken in the Canadian issue. Although we might have wished for more depth and context, the item’s flaws do not move it outside the bounds of CBC policy.

CONCLUSION:

The item was a reasonable summary of the interest that a very important American lobbying group has taken in the Canadian issue. Although we might have wished for more depth and context, the item’s flaws do not move it outside the bounds of CBC policy.

It's one of many examples. But it illustrates my point perfectly. Misleading news is in the eye of the beholder. And it shouldn't be the government.

Btw, many people would agree that the item's flaws definitely don't move it outside the bounds of CBC policy. Because CBC policy seems to be generally to mislead in a liberal-bias kinda way anyways! :lol: