Teachers brainwashing our children?

Mr.Canada

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can that be ignorance?

You're saying that you want to inoculate your little Christian soldiers against the threat of having their (by which I mean, your) beliefs challenged. this kind of intentional close-mindedness and demand for idealogical purity is a kind of happy ignorance.

I'm all for Christians funding their own schools and daycares!

What is problematic about that is how the leftists will try to get in and hijack the schools....demanding that Christian doctrines be changed to accomodate political correctness.

A public school is for the general public, and since the general public does not want religion taught in public school, then you should be going to a private school that does teach religion, and your religion specifically.

Last Christimas alone, my kid came home from school with all art projects depicting "Holiday" traditions from other cultures....all except anything related to the Christian Christmas!

Perhaps the teacher saw an oppurtunity to teach the students about other cultures? :rolleyes:

How will the children ever know that Christmas is about Christ, if they're taught about other cultures. :o

I would've thought a christian kid with christian parents would know about their own beliefs if they attend christian church in predominantly christian society ...since I don't believe that's possible for them not to know I have to conclude that the real issue here is teaching kids other about other cultures...

I'm all for Christians funding their own schools and daycares!

What is problematic about that is how the leftists will try to get in and hijack the schools....demanding that Christian doctrines be changed to accomodate political correctness.

But you offering speculation as fact that denotes a lack of critical thinking. Christians DO fund their own schools and daycares and in Ontario we have the Catholic separate school board and that is as Christian is anyone can get. I mean, this is "The Church" we are talking about, not some pouty little sect that went on their own way because they wanted to change their doctrines to accomodate political correctedness.

Because, as you might notice with a casual read of Eurpean history, it was once very politically incorrect to talk bad about The Church. I believe they had a word for it, ah yes, they called it 'heresy.'

Awww c'mon. They push the leftists/atheistic views and agendas!

Nope. They push critical and open minded thinking. You are just mistaking this for "leftists/atheistic views and agendas" because open-mindedness threatens the base upon which you rest your faith. And from what I have read so far that foundation is more sand that rock.

Last Christimas alone, my kid came home from school with all art projects depicting "Holiday" traditions from other cultures....all except anything related to the Christian Christmas!

Why do you think that is?

Our education system's been hijacked by leftists who are out to target Christianity. That's "examinations" and "critical thinking" alright.

Nope, it has been hijacked by the fundamental principles of freedom of conscience and thought. My kid's public high school even has a Christian Club that was well attended and respected by those who are taught to respect differences.

How will the children ever know that Christmas is about Christ, if they're taught about other cultures.

Catholic schools teach a course called world religions. Catholics are taught to learn about and respect other world religions.

Betsy, I would look into Catholicism and see if it fits your lifestyle. If it does and you become Catholic your children can go to Catholic schools. It isn't a perfect system but it's a hell of a lot better then the public system where the Christian God is treated like a pariah and all other Gods are revered, even celebrated. I'm not bible thumping or anything just trying to help you out and save you from tearing your hair out over the hypocrisy that is the public system.

Catholic Mass is a big adjustment though. What with all the traditions and the standing, sitting and kneeling it's different then Protestant Service where you basically sit there until it's over for the most part.

Edited by Mr.Canada

Catholic schools teach a course called world religions. Catholics are taught to learn about and respect other world religions.

Betsy, I would look into Catholicism and see if it fits your lifestyle. If it does and you become Catholic your children can go to Catholic schools. It isn't a perfect system but it's a hell of a lot better then the public system where the Christian God is treated like a pariah and all other Gods are revered, even celebrated. I'm not bible thumping or anything just trying to help you out and save you from tearing your hair out over the hypocrisy that is the public system.

Catholic Mass is a big adjustment though. What with all the traditions and the standing, sitting and kneeling it's different then Protestant Service where you basically sit there until it's over for the most part.

Thank you for the kind offer. Actually these are not my children. I provide daycare. And yes, I know Catholic Schools have good reputation....their standard of teaching is high. I've had a few children who attended Catholic School and you could see the difference.

Edited by betsy

Perhaps the teacher saw an oppurtunity to teach the students about other cultures? :rolleyes:

Read my statement. I have no gripe if other cultural holidays are included. :rolleyes:

But why exclude the Christian Christmas? After all, Christmas is supposed to be the celebration of the birth of Christ.

The child rolled out various art projects depicting holidays from various cultures, including Chinese New year....but not even one showed anything related to Christian tradition. His dad spent the whole day with him in school as a volunteer for that day, and he lamented...."where is ours?"

You're saying that you want to inoculate your little Christian soldiers against the threat of having their (by which I mean, your) beliefs challenged. this kind of intentional close-mindedness and demand for idealogical purity is a kind of happy ignorance.

:lol: Did you forget to put the smiley face after that statement?

What's wrong about preparing them? Don't you prepare your kids how to respond to religious people who try to convert them?

And as I explained to you:

No worries. These children will grow to consistently claim the distinction between right and wrong. It's all in the foundation!

Ignorance is when you just go along with the flow....and can't even have a firm grasp to be consistent enough in knowing the distinction between right and wrong.

Nope. They push critical and open minded thinking. You are just mistaking this for "leftists/atheistic views and agendas" because open-mindedness threatens the base upon which you rest your faith. And from what I have read so far that foundation is more sand that rock.

Open-mindedness my foot! Why then is the "theory" of Creationism not taught in school alongside the theory of evolution?

Check out the link given by Dre on the other thread about Munk Debates. Dawkins interviewing Wright. His lame reiteration runs along the line, "it's the truth, so there!" That's critical thinking alright! :D

If you think our foundation is more sand than rock....then there shouldn't be any worries if Creationism is taught along the theory of evolution. Call it a "theory" if that will make it feel less threatening. :lol:

Open-mindedness my foot! Why then is the "theory" of Creationism not taught in school alongside the theory of evolution?

It IS taught - that it is an unsound theory based on subjective narrative. And this is taught at an appropriate age. They teach about Santa Claus and Easter Bunny too, but these cute little stories eventually take their place with the structure of literature.

Check out the link given by Dre on the other thread about Munk Debates. Dawkins interviewing Wright. His lame reiteration runs along the line, "it's the truth, so there!" That's critical thinking alright! :D

And this has what to do with the discussion on hand? Have you been to confession lately?

If you think our foundation is more sand than rock....then there shouldn't be any worries if Creationism is taught along the theory of evolution. Call it a "theory" if that will make it feel less threatening. :lol:

It is taught - as an unsound theory. Plenty of unsound theories are taught as is the progression of ideas from the less developed to the more developed within a given period and structure of understanding. Where you err is that you believe that unsound theories should get equal footing with sound theories. This is like saying alchemy should be given equally billing to chemistry.

When I say your foundation is more like sand than rock, I am referring to you personally because you don't appear to be the type for self-introspection for any length of time. The fact that you thought I was referring to some group you belong too leads me to believe that your "faith" is simply a social mechanism you use to combat your loneliness and fear of loneliness.

Now before you start your inevitable protest how wrong I am, I demand that you give my impression of you equal billing with your impression of yourself.

Isn't creationism a concept embraced within your religon?

If so it has no place in the school curriculum and in any event has no basis in fact.

It IS taught - that it is an unsound theory based on subjective narrative. And this is taught at an appropriate age. They teach about Santa Claus and Easter Bunny too, but these cute little stories eventually take their place with the structure of literature.It is taught - as an unsound theory. Plenty of unsound theories are taught as is the progression of ideas from the less developed to the more developed within a given period and structure of understanding. Where you err is that you believe that unsound theories should get equal footing with sound theories. This is like saying alchemy should be given equally billing to chemistry.

:lol: That's where the great debate lies, isn't it? Your theory is unsound.

The source of my theory is absolutely irrelevant to its validity. Your pseudo-psychoanalytic process about my inner thoughts is laughable when you supporters of evolution refuse to even entertain scientific evidence that contradicts evolution.

What are you so afraid of?

Dawkins used that very tactic on Wendy Wright, claiming "well, evolution is just a fact!"(declaring the "truth" of the very fact they're trying to debate) and asking her, "Are you a scientist?" (attempting to disparage her opinion).

If that's the case, one should ask Dawkins why then on earth did he waste his time debating her??? :lol:

When I say your foundation is more like sand than rock, I am referring to you personally because you don't appear to be the type for self-introspection for any length of time. The fact that you thought I was referring to some group you belong too leads me to believe that your "faith" is simply a social mechanism you use to combat your loneliness and fear of loneliness.

Whoa. You mimic your preacher Dawkins in his interview with Wendy Wright (thread Munk Debates- link provided by Dre). You are short on the fuse too, aren't you?

Like Bishop...er Cardinal...or is it Pope Dawkins, are you all red and splotchy on the face too, complete with the rapid eye-blinking?

Why is it you guys inevitably resort to personal attacks?

Now before you start your inevitable protest how wrong I am, I demand that you give my impression of you equal billing with your impression of yourself.

Talk about blatant adhominem. Not only are you psycho-analysing me but you're demanding I psycho-analyse myself. :lol:

Further more, it's a feeble explanatory narrative to begin with. Santa Claus? Eh?

Edited by betsy

Read my statement. I have no gripe if other cultural holidays are included. :rolleyes:

But why exclude the Christian Christmas?

Because teaching students about something that completely saturates their culture and is utterly impossible to miss in the course of daily life isn't exactly an important educational experience.

The child rolled out various art projects depicting holidays from various cultures, including Chinese New year....but not even one showed anything related to Christian tradition. His dad spent the whole day with him in school as a volunteer for that day, and he lamented...."where is ours?"

Yours is in the nativity scene set up outside almost every city hall for 2-3 months every year or the pithy pronouncements on billboards outside of every second church.

Because teaching students about something that completely saturates their culture and is utterly impossible to miss in the course of daily life isn't exactly an important educational experience.

Yours is in the nativity scene set up outside almost every city hall for 2-3 months every year or the pithy pronouncements on billboards outside of every second church.

If Canada truly wants to be equal it needs to give equal time to all major religions and not just pander to those that are non Christian. How is excluding Christianity but teaching about other major religious holidays in school equal?

If Canada truly wants to be equal it needs to give equal time to all major religions and not just pander to those that are non Christian. How is excluding Christianity but teaching about other major religious holidays in school equal?

Schools are educational institutions, yes?

What are you getting at? It doesn't change the fact that Christianity is omitted when teaching children about world holidays in public schools.

Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. Either way, it has very little educational value due to the omnipresence of christian holidays in our culture.

Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. Either way, it has very little educational value due to the omnipresence of christian holidays in our culture.

Talk about confused.... irrational relativism! :rolleyes:

It's a good lesson on squirm-atism though! :lol:

A contortionist's delight! :D

Edited by betsy