Conservative Majority?

wulf42

I think scandal-free, damage free government is a huge accomplishment. Think Sponsorship, the OLA, the Charter of No Rights, the destruction reorganization of the military, immigration "reform" or 1965 or "one Jew is too many" King.

Scandal free? Prorogations to avoid confidence votes and showdowns over prisoner documents? A government that won't release full cost projections for the jets its going to buy because of risking "copyright infringement"? The scandal of the Tory govermnent is the contempt it holds for our system of government.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harper has done nothing in the last 5 years as premier, if he left now he'd have no legacy. Mulroney was the best Prime Minister in recent times.

Does your name mean Piece Of Shit Student, and harper is a prime minister

Seperatists in Parliament? GST? Free Trade? NAFTA? Taking bribes? Instituting "Reaganomics" in Canada?

Sepratists are allowed to sit in Parliament. It is part of their right as Canadians. Even the most hardline fascist or Marxist-Leninist is allowed to sit as long as they are elected, and take the oath of loyalty. (All the BQ members HAVE take the oath.)

Seperatists in Parliament? GST? Free Trade? NAFTA? Taking bribes? Instituting "Reaganomics" in Canada?

Seperatists in Parliament?

1. Instituting "Reaganomics" in Canada?
  2. Free Trade?
  3. NAFTA?
    All good things for Canada
  4. GST?
    Deceptively explained, since he was "Lyin' Brian". But how else was Canada to fund its extravagant programs that became "entitlements" during the Pearson/Trudeau years?
  5. Taking bribes?
    Obviously wrong.
  6. Seperatists in Parliament?
    See below. I agree that this is a piece with "Lyin' Brian".

Sepratists are allowed to sit in Parliament. It is part of their right as Canadians. Even the most hardline fascist or Marxist-Leninist is allowed to sit as long as they are elected, and take the oath of loyalty. (All the BQ members HAVE take the oath.)

But do they adhere to that oath of loyalty? How can one be loyal to an entity they want to rip asunder? Closer to treason if you ask me.

We spent 600,000 lives settling that argument.

Actually they haven't... They'd all be liars if they did... MORONey exempted Bloc members from the FULL oath (allowing a variance to the oath)...

- Similarly, in 1990, a question of privilege was raised in the Canadian House of Commons concerning the meaning of the oath of allegiance and the duties and obligations relating thereto following the first election of a member of the Bloc Québécois. The Speaker held that the chair was not empowered to make a judgment on the circumstances or the sincerity with which a duly elected member takes the oath of allegiance, and that only the House can examine the conduct of its members and only the House can take action if it decides action is required.(10) No further action was taken. -

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/ResearchPublications/bp241-e.htm#failure

Edited by GWiz

:lol: Okay then.... forgetting to pay income tax on.. ah...

I was putting the bribe-taking, and by extension income tax evasion, in the wrongdoing column.

1. Instituting "Reaganomics" in Canada?
  2. Free Trade?
  3. NAFTA?
    All good things for Canada
Substitute USA for "Canada" and we can agree...
Lyin' Brian MORONey was the BEST Prime Minister the United States ever had...

GST?
Deceptively explained, since he was "Lyin' Brian". But how else was Canada to fund its extravagant programs that became "entitlements" during the Pearson/Trudeau years?
Remember these words - "REVENUE NEUTRAL", "FAIRER", "MORE OPEN", when it comes out of the mouths of big spending "CONSERVATIVES"...
Since you're a LIBERTARIAN I'm hardly surprised that you're against so called "entitlements" (aka social benefits) like universal health care, child care, pension income supplements and the like...
Even though the Chretien/Martin Liberals had other ways less friendly to Big Business to deal with "Balanced Budgets" and "deficit spending" in the end the biggest TAX HIKE in Canadian history by the "CONSERVATIVES" did indeed help on that score quite substantially...
Since the GST meant it was done on the backs of those least able to afford paying TAXES it's still sad that it was done in that manner... But at least it was done...

Taking bribes?
Obviously wrong.
See below. I agree that this is a piece with "Lyin' Brian".

But do they adhere to that oath of loyalty? How can one be loyal to an entity they want to rip asunder? Closer to treason if you ask me.

We spent 600,000 lives settling that argument.

Already previously addressed by me...

Posc - you're new here so you may want to read the rules again. Insults usually mean you've lost the argument, even if they're just returning fire.

BTW - Harper was at the helm through a recession that devastated the US so I believe he'll be rewarded by the Canadian public for that.

He was at the helm but what did he do? Canada already had a strong banking system in place, which he did not agree with, and he wasn't planning on using stimulous money till he was forced into it.

The only reason I'm not a Conservative supporter is because of Harper.

I know we can't really look at the Regional numbers of this poll because they make no sense. If the Liberals get 29% in Quebec I will eat my hat. We really can only look at the national on this poll.

If you cannot look at the regional numbers then how can you look at the national numbers and think they are correct?

Edited by Posc Student

He was at the helm but what did he do? Canada already had a strong banking system in place, which he did not agree with, and he wasn't planning on using stimulous money till he was forced into it.

The only reason I'm not a Conservative supporter is because of Harper.

If you cannot look at the regional numbers then how can you look at the national numbers and think they are correct?

In statistics the more numbers you have the smaller your margin of error. So in this poll you might have a Margin of Error of 15% in Quebec and of 23% in BC however for the country the MOE maybe only 3%. This is because chances of the whole poll having the same skew for the every sample is much smaller then it going one way in one province and another way in another. So while the sample sizes in the provinces at larges (this is true of almost every poll that comes out) the error overall is small. For this poll you really can only look at the national numbers and apply a even swing across the country to understand how it effects the numbers. Does that make sense?

I agree however this poll has some weird numbers but it does show where the Momentum is and it isn't the Liberals. Their biggest problem is it is all about the Conservatives or it is all about the NDP. They only get the news by talking about those parties they are actually playing themselves out of the game.

Edited by punked

In statistics the more numbers you have the smaller your margin of error. So in this poll you might have a Margin of Error of 15% in Quebec and of 23% in BC however for the country the MOE maybe only 3%. This is because chances of the whole poll having the same skew for the every sample is much smaller then it going one way in one province and another way in another. So while the sample sizes in the provinces at larges (this is true of almost every poll that comes out) the error overall is small. For this poll you really can only look at the national numbers and apply a even swing across the country to understand how it effects the numbers. Does that make sense?

I agree however this poll has some weird numbers but it does show where the Momentum is and it isn't the Liberals. Their biggest problem is it is all about the Conservatives or it is all about the NDP. They only get the news by talking about those parties they are actually playing themselves out of the game.

I understand the statistics behind it and the margin of error but you cannot just cast aside the regional results when trying to predict one party getingt a majority or not. If you have two polls that give the Conservatives 42% it doesn't mean that both will result in the same majority government or if it will result in a minority government.

I understand the statistics behind it and the margin of error but you cannot just cast aside the regional results when trying to predict one party getingt a majority or not. If you have two polls that give the Conservatives 42% it doesn't mean that both will result in the same majority government or if it will result in a minority government.

You can assume if you have two polls giving the Conservatives 43% the Libs 27% and the NDP 13% that no matter where the spread falls across the country they will be gaining seats. It wont matter if those seats are in NFLD, BC, Ont or Que. They need 12 seats doesn't matter where so the regional numbers really don't matter after they get past 40% at 40% the numbers matter because it then becomes a guessing game of which seats flip. After you can bet they are getting those extra 12.

Just remember it is a 6 point swing for them from the election. With the Liberals staying where they are and the NDP falling. It is simple like I said at 40 it is a maybe anything else it Majority.

Edited by punked

With the NDP dropping and now sitting at 13% there won't be an election...

Nuff said...

Yah I know we wont have an election the Liberals are going to get the flu. However what would you say we are around 3 weeks before an election? Well this consider this a lesson for you because you clearly know nothing about Canadian politics. In 2008 3 weeks before an election this pollster had the NDP at 13% so I don't think they are worried. I think 308 said that these guys are often 3-5% off the NDP numbers for some reason.

Heads must be spinning in the Liberal backroom. They'll most certainly lose the next election, whenever that might be. A campaign will probably drain their coffers dry. With good reason, the party will want a new leader. Funds to hold a leadership convention will be scant. Hopefully, they won't goof up again and anoint a new leader, as they did the last time around.

Evidently, the Liberals are skimping on expensive media ads. What's with this, going up against the Conservatives with t-shirts made in Nicaragua? That's no way to go head to head with the young "jihadis" in the Harper camp. And Ignatieff referring to the Prime Minister as "the Charlie Sheen of canadian democracy" won't cut it. Sheesh!

What will it take for the Liberals to get their act together?

Heads must be spinning in the Liberal backroom. They'll most certainly lose the next election, whenever that might be. A campaign will probably drain their coffers dry. With good reason, the party will want a new leader. Funds to hold a leadership convention will be scant. Hopefully, they won't goof up again and anoint a new leader, as they did the last time around.

Evidently, the Liberals are skimping on expensive media ads. What's with this, going up against the Conservatives with t-shirts made in Nicaragua? That's no way to go head to head with the young "jihadis" in the Harper camp. And Ignatieff referring to the Prime Minister as "the Charlie Sheen of canadian democracy" won't cut it. Sheesh!

What will it take for the Liberals to get their act together?

I know they did really well in fund raising for a time there before the best fund raiser they have had for a long time left to run for mayor then became a Conservative because the Liberals weren't for him anymore. I might jump the sinking ship to.

However their organization I have heard costs a butt load to run. I have heard figures of it costing almost 3 times as much as the NDPs so I really don't know how much they got in the bank.

It is crazy when the NDP are the ones doing telephone town halls with 10,000 people and producing adds to go on tv and the Liberals are the ones hard up for money.

Edited by punked

You can assume if you have two polls giving the Conservatives 43% the Libs 27% and the NDP 13% that no matter where the spread falls across the country they will be gaining seats. It wont matter if those seats are in NFLD, BC, Ont or Que. They need 12 seats doesn't matter where so the regional numbers really don't matter after they get past 40% at 40% the numbers matter because it then becomes a guessing game of which seats flip. After you can bet they are getting those extra 12.

Just remember it is a 6 point swing for them from the election. With the Liberals staying where they are and the NDP falling. It is simple like I said at 40 it is a maybe anything else it Majority.

As depressing as the 40%+ is for the Liberals, the fact is if the Tories can sustain that over the next few weeks, and then through an election, the odds are heavily in their favor of getting a majority regardless of regional numbers.

As depressing as the 40%+ is for the Liberals, the fact is if the Tories can sustain that over the next few weeks, and then through an election, the odds are heavily in their favor of getting a majority regardless of regional numbers.

Oh for sure I don't think they can do with 40% though I really don't. I think the magic number is 41+.

However their organization I have heard costs a butt load to run. I have heard figures of it costing almost 3 times as much as the NDPs so I really don't know how much they got in the bank.

It is crazy when the NDP are the ones doing telephone town halls with 10,000 people and producing adds to go on tv and the Liberals are the ones hard up for money.

All those tours by Ignatieff to mingle with ordinary Canadians are not cheap either.