Toronto the 'El Toro'

Shwa

Caught this on BT this morning, nickname by culture committee.

Eye Weekly readers give Toronto a new nickname

Toronto, you have a new nickname. And the judges at Eye Weekly magazine are bullish on the winning entry.

Hello, El Toro! Goodbye Hogtown and the Big Smoke and Toronto the Good.

El Toro? You may snort at the sound of this, but this moniker won over a panel of celebrity judges for a variety of reasons.

The name, which means “The Bull” in Spanish, borrows the first four letters of Toronto’s name.

Judge Evan Solomon, a CBC TV host, noted that it had a “delightfully multicultural tinge.”

Fellow judge and marketing and branding expert Vito Piazza said the name indicates that “Toronto has to be (and is) an aggressive player in North America and beyond.”

Toro also has a long-ago hockey connection to Toronto. Back in the 1970s, The Toros were Toronto’s entry in the now-defunct World Hockey Association.

Of course, if you want to know where the bullshit is coming from, try 'El Toro.'

One thing is for certain, I won't be picking up any 'Eye Weekly' magazines when I am in T.O. next.

Another interesting sidebit is that the Toronto Toros - from a city that has almost nothing to do with Spanish, moved to Birmingham, Alabama, which has more history with the Spanish, renamed themselves 'The Birmingham Bulls.' :blink:

Leave it to a CBC host to come up with a politically correct name that will evoke no thoughts of Toronto when mentioned.

Huh?

We enlisted Torontonians to suggest some options, which included "The Hub," "The Core," "Pronto" and "Big Blue." Our judges were comedian Russell Peters, Metric singer Emily Haines, CFRB host and politician John Tory, CBC Metro Morning host Matt Galloway, She Does the City editor Jen McNeely, Toronto Star editor-in-chief Michael Cooke, CBC TV host and writer Evan Solomon, Sid Lee branding-agency partner Vito Piazza and Toronto Raptor Amir Johnson.

This silly exercise reminds me of the Seinfeld when George wants people to start calling him "T-Bone". But the real point here was to generate publicity for EYE so on that score, mission accomplished.

Another interesting sidebit is that the Toronto Toros - from a city that has almost nothing to do with Spanish, moved to Birmingham, Alabama, which has more history with the Spanish, renamed themselves 'The Birmingham Bulls.' :blink:

One of my favourite memories from my childhood is going to Winnipeg Arena and seeing Steve Durbano of the Birmingham Bulls attack Bobby Hull from behind and rip out his plugged in hairpiece.

He had to wear a helmet for a few games after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtpC_pjzGtc

Caught this on BT this morning, nickname by culture committee.

Eye Weekly readers give Toronto a new nickname

Of course, if you want to know where the bullshit is coming from, try 'El Toro.'

One thing is for certain, I won't be picking up any 'Eye Weekly' magazines when I am in T.O. next.

Toronto: The most cold hearted, unfriendly city in Canada.

Edited by scouterjim

This silly exercise reminds me of the Seinfeld when George wants people to start calling him "T-Bone".

Indeed. Attempting to choose your own nickname is folly.

However, what if they legally changed the name? Then it could end up being like the episode of The Simpsons where Homer changed his name to Max Power!

It's not Constantinople, it's Istanbul. It's not Bombay, it's Mumbai. Come on, Toronto! What is there to lose? At worst, it could end up being like Burma, now awkwardly known as "Burma-also-known-as-Myanmar", which doesn't exactly scream "rebranding success story." Still, I think it's a winner. Toronto should go for it. Pick an exciting new 21st-century name, and commit to it.

-k

I prefer "Asshole of the Universe" for Toronto.

I hate the Skydome and the CN Tower too

I hate Nathan Phillips Square and the Ontario Zoo

The rents too high, the air's unclean

The beaches are dirty and the people are mean

And the women are big and the men are dumb

And the children are loopy 'cause they live in a slum

The water is polluted and the mayor's a dork

They dress real bad and they think they're New York

In Toronto, Ontario

Courtesy of The Arrogant Worms (link)

Edited by jbg