Would the liberals win with LeBlanc as leader?

Would the liberals win the next election if LeBlanc were leader?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So polls can be decieving or outright false - however this was another subject worth discussing.

Would someone else be a better leader of the liberal party?

I have no real opinion formed on this - however - perhaps others here have an opinion (and kindly don't lie even if it means turning from your conservative party of canada instincts.)

http://dominicleblanc.liberal.ca/

Edited by William Ashley

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really sure about Leblanc, but I can tell you I'm wholly disappointed with Ignatieff's leadership. It seems the Liberal game of pragmatic politics doesn't work so well from the other side of the aisle.

Does anyone think Ignatieff would be a member of the CPC if the leadership of the CPC was in somewhat disarray when he did enter Canadian politics, and Liberal leadership at the time was strong?

I voted yes, despite my agreeing with Alta4ever. If the other members of the party wouldn't destroy him, he presents what I think is there best chance, now that McKenna and Tobin are out.

Not even close my friend, not even close to a "best chance", in fact considerably a worse chance than Ignatieff, which I think this oped is designed to bring out based on the choices presented... :D

Have no fear though, five years from now (hopefully much sooner) the leader of the Liberal Party will be a true "chip off the old block" and he will lead the Liberals back to where they belong in THE MIDDLE of the Canadian political scene...

I voted "someone else" - Justin Trudeau :D Even smarter and a better speaker than his dad btw... (Alternate for NOW my pick would be Ken Dryden whom I supported last go round too)...

The Liberals need someone FRESH and not anybody from the "old guard" or an ex NDPer, a NO BAGGAGE individual one could say...

I'd quite possibly vote for them (especially if Layton is going to make a BS deal with Harper). Also, yes to the question below:

Does anyone think Ignatieff would be a member of the CPC if the leadership of the CPC was in somewhat disarray when he did enter Canadian politics, and Liberal leadership at the time was strong?

I actually like Justin Trudeau more than most people I know but there's no way he's smarter or a better speaker than his Dad.

I don't know much about Justin other than he's at least 10 years from being a viable candidate for PM.

As for the OP, the only way i'd vote for Bob Rae is if Stockwell Day was leader of the CPC.

I actually like Justin Trudeau more than most people I know but there's no way he's smarter or a better speaker than his Dad.

I've heard, read and know(knew) them both... I believe he is, if not better, at least equal to... Plus he's just starting out and has a LOT of legacy from "The Greatest Canadian" (CBC feature) to build on to...

Needless to say when I heard him speak (2x), to crowds larger than Ignatieff drew at the same venue a week earlier, he was as charismatic, polished and content full as his dad was and the fact that he was doing this at this point in his life was, to say the least, extremely impressive...

Ignatieff seemed like a promising successor to Dion, but after more time in opposition the party is still getting nowhere. I'm not sure about LeBlanc, but it is certainly time for a new Liberal leader if the they want any chance at governing.

Like I said, my choice would be, and has been, Ken Dryden (for NOW)...

One thing to remember about Ignatieff is he's NOT a true "politician" and comes across as such for better or worse... The next few month will determine if he can be... Hearing him speak "first hand" has kinda made me like him more not less... I consider that a good thing...

I've heard, read and know(knew) them both... I believe he is, if not better, at least equal to... Plus he's just starting out and has a LOT of legacy from "The Greatest Canadian" (CBC feature) to build on to...

Needless to say when I heard him speak (2x), to crowds larger than Ignatieff drew at the same venue a week earlier, he was as charismatic, polished and content full as his dad was and the fact that he was doing this at this point in his life was, to say the least, extremely impressive...

Yeah sure, Justin Trudeau so long as his last name isn't a stigma of posh and privledge. Maybe in 10 years. However, now - today - Dom Leblanc is the man. He's done the work, he has the experience, he knows how to deal. A *new* Liberal, without all the baggage.

However, Ken Dryden is completely useless. There is no chance of him being elected Liberal Party leader. Ever. :o

I'll give you charismatic and polished. What new ideas has Justin Trudeau presented? PET clearly had an original and challenging vision, like it or loathe it.

I'll take "like it" for 500...

For one bringing Canada back to balanced budgets and paying down the debt as a #1 priority... While not necessarily "new", certainly welcomed by me and the rest of the crowd in attendance...

The question is a moot point now. They have made their beds, wit Ignatieff that is who they are stuck with. Changing leadership now is not on the table.

I said it when Dion was heading out the door, LeBlanc should be their next choice but they went with their surprise man, pre-approved and moved up from the USA, as part of our democratic action could not have been picked in a worst way.

Yeah sure, Justin Trudeau so long as his last name isn't a stigma of posh and privledge. Maybe in 10 years. However, now - today - Dom Leblanc is the man. He's done the work, he has the experience, he knows how to deal. A *new* Liberal, without all the baggage.

However, Ken Dryden is completely useless. There is no chance of him being elected Liberal Party leader. Ever. :o

:D

I take it you're not a Liberal and have never been to Ken Dryden's website and certainly not during the last leadership race nor have you spoken to him one on one as I have where you realize how "in touch" with current Canadian values and ideals (read most Canadians) (certainly mine which is why I'd support him again) he is...

Ken Dryden

ps - No "baggage" what-so-ever... :D

Edited by GWiz

The question is a moot point now. They have made their beds, wit Ignatieff that is who they are stuck with. Changing leadership now is not on the table.

I said it when Dion was heading out the door, LeBlanc should be their next choice but they went with their surprise man, pre-approved and moved up from the USA, as part of our democratic action could not have been picked in a worst way.

Thank heaven for small favours... Ignatieff vs LeBlanc? Are you kidding me? I couldn't think of a more regressive step the Liberals could take than choosing LeBlanc or anyone else from that era today...

For one bringing Canada back to balanced budgets and paying down the debt as a #1 priority... While not necessarily "new", certainly welcomed by me and the rest of the crowd in attendance...

Come on, that's a motherhood issue. Every party leader has advocated balancing the budget. Some might not make it the #1 priority and I think they're right not to. I've got nothing against JT or his views, and I prefer him to Ignatieff tbh, but this isn't exactly brilliant or visionary.

Come on, that's a motherhood issue. Every party leader has advocated balancing the budget. Some might not make it the #1 priority and I think they're right not to. I've got nothing against JT or his views, and I prefer him to Ignatieff tbh, but this isn't exactly brilliant or visionary.

Ok, can you please show me why you say that? I somehow can't make that conection with Harper, Layton or even Ignatieff (although he does come closest) in anything they've said or more importantly, in the case of Harper, done to indicate that... Regardless, it's just my opinion of him so no biggy...

BTW - What would be YOUR #1 issue for anyone, any party?

One of the good things out of Justin Trudeau winning the Liberal Party leadership,and at the moment I'm not sure if there's much more than this,would be watching the foothill oil pumper's heads explode at the mere mention of the name "Trudeau"!!!!

That's enough for this Proud Eastern Bastard (who does'nt freeze in the dark) to see Justin Trudeau lead that party...

Edited by Jack Weber

I think Dominic LeBlanc would have made a great leader. He's french but not from Quebec, I think he would be able to appeal to Quebeckers but also some Westerners who may be turned off by another Quebec leader. He's young and would be able to connect with younger voters but he also has a lot of experience in politics. He's very smart and when he ran for the leadership he was able to attract supporters from both the Martin and Chretien camp. I cannot imagine there would be much the Conservatives could attack him with.

He's definitly one of my top picks for leader.

As for Justin Trudeau he needs work. I've seen him interviewed several times with other MPs, probably on Power Play, and he's come off as very ignorant. He cuts people off when they are making a point he doesn't agree with instead of waiting for them to finish speaking, it makes him look really bad. He has absolutly no experience either. Maybe in 10 years.

One of the good things out of Justin Trudeau winning the Liberal Party leadership,and at the moment I'm not sure if there's much more than this,would be watching the foothill oil pupmer's heads explode at the mere metion of the name "Trudeau"!!!!

That's enough for this Proud Eastern Bastard (who deos'nt freeze in the dark) to see Justin Trudeau lead that party...

:lol:

What people don't realize because he looks so young is that he's already 40 y.o. so he's got a little seasoning behind him... Might not be as long as people think for him to step up into the "big job"...

Scares the bejesus out of some folks here and everywhere else I'm betting...

:lol:

What people don't realize because he looks so young is that he's already 40 y.o. so he's got a little seasoning behind him... Might not be as long as people think for him to step up into the "big job"...

Scares the bejesus out of some folks here and everywhere else I'm betting...

Especially the "Oil Pumpers"!!!

Every single one of them mindlessly,and reflexively, blurts out...

"THE NEP...THE NEP!!!!!!!"

Every time the name is mentioned...

Edited by Jack Weber

I look forward to the day he decides to step up. Maybe this time, then again maybe not because this next leader will have a size large task of reformation to undertake. That could very well be his cup of tea, you never know. One thing to remember is that there will very likely be some large changes in the Liberal Party with any new leader.

Steve may well survive this next election, another minority government at best. If Trudeau is next then Harper will be toast, its that simple in my opinion.