What is your MP doing?

a.gee

This is a really great article published in the latest issue of Maclean's magazine:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/02/18/the-house-of-commons-is-a-sham/

The House of Commons is a principle part of our democracy, yet it seems to have become the norm that MPs show up in the House three days of the work week out of five. I get that they have to travel back to their constituencies during the weekends, and they have a lot to deal with in their offices. However, the lack of MP participation during Question Period and debates is disturbing. I've seen MPs attend QP while reading the newspaper or while socializing on their Blackberries, and I get the impression that they are oblivious with the goings-on around them. My MP is a Tory backbencher, and I have not once seen him in the House, let alone get up on his feet and speak/debate. Then again, we well know that Mr. Harper would prefer the backbenchers to blend into the background, opening their mouths only to support partisan comments from the Government. Of course, it is not only the Conservative caucus that is idling during QP or debates, but the majority of members from every party is equally guilty. Ideally, we would like our MPs to be more active, but, as the article points out, bills are not being passed with this government, hence work is not getting done. If this is how it is progressing, where is our democracy headed?

Mine is Dean Allison,another Tory willing nodder...

Two weeks ago he was at a public party/fundraiser at a local winery for the Wine and Cheese crowd...

Because Deano's a "man of the people"... :rolleyes::D

Those who drink wine and eat cheese aren't people?

----

By some horribly ironic coincidence, I live in Jack Layton's riding and work in Olivia Chow's. I regularly see a lot of flyers with bold orange print.

Those who drink wine and eat cheese aren't people?

----

By some horribly ironic coincidence, I live in Jack Layton's riding and work in Olivia Chow's. I regularly see a lot of flyers with bold orange print.

Wine drinkers barely qualify as "people"

;):D

I think Deano is a Con phony who blathers about being a "common man" then goes to an upper crust winery to fund raise...

Of course,this si the same riding as another Con "common man"...

Namely the provincial PC leader,"Wine Tasting" Tim Hudak!!!

I'll vote for the party that states the Prime Minister and Cabinet are answerable fully to Parliament, that Parliament's power over them is absolute and unquestionable, and that anyone that states otherwise is either a moron or an autocrat.

Is this a Tory position?

I think your two (2) descriptions fit Mr.Falange to a T...

Joy Smith, ever heard of her? Thought not... Likes to send out flyers, at our expense, telling us how great she is... Useless CON back bencher that got and gets in because Libs and NDP keep splitting the vote and letting her win... :huh:

Mine is Dr. Colin Carrie, a Roman Catholic chiropractor. He is firmly situated between Ministers Bev Oda and Jim Flaherty, so he gets the nod for some Parliamentary Secretary gigs. Plus he knows his way around a spine.

Every once in a while we get a pamphlet in the mail from his constituency office. Nice guys finish last, and he really is a nice guy even though I didn't vote for him.

The last couple of elections in the Shwa have been Cons versus NDP, the Liberals being a complete waste of time in this riding. Did I say the Liberals were a complete waste of time in this riding? Oh, right, I did. I just wanted to make sure it was understood. :D

My MP, Patrick Brown, doesn't seem to be too interested in attending Thursday afternoon committee meetings, having sent someone else in his place at 2 of the last 3 Thursday afternoon meetings of the Health Committee.

According to his Twitter blog, he was on a plane back to the riding chatting up CBC's Ron Maclean at the time of the first meeting, and attended a gala at a local racetrack on the evening of the second meeting.

Apparently, Brown and Maclean discussed 'Hockey Night in Barrie', which is a fund-raiser for the local hospital that started out in 2004 as a hockey game between hospital staff and hockey celebrities, but which Brown has managed to usurp and turn into a partisan political event. I recently received a taxpayer-funded newsletter from Brown which consisted almost entirely of photos, including 29 photos from last year's 'Hockey Night in Barrie', which took place more than 6 months ago and was widely covered by the media.

Cheryl Gallant, (wait for laughing to stop).............................. Now when she keeps her mouth shut ,she is actually agood MP IMO I have had a dealings with her on different matters, and she always returns calls, and sometimes she has been able to help and some she could not. Now others might disagree. I know she screwed up in NFDL, but I understood where she was coming from and most people did, but it just did not come out right, and the media was all over it.

The last couple of elections in the Shwa have been Cons versus NDP, the Liberals being a complete waste of time in this riding. Did I say the Liberals were a complete waste of time in this riding? Oh, right, I did. I just wanted to make sure it was understood. :D

Sadly, Oshawa is a prime example of the vote split between the NDP and the Liberals.

Last election: Results

I've sat down with both Drs Godfrey (and he is a very intelligent man) and Carrie, him not so much. Knows how to nod though and I get a ton of letters and pamphlets from him.

Having said all that, I actually voted for Shields last go, I thought enough Liberals would to stop Carrie

I know she screwed up in NFDL, but I understood where she was coming from and most people did, but it just did not come out right, and the media was all over it.

How can you understand where Gallant was coming from?

Newfoundland and Labrador ended up with some great MPs. 4 out of our 6 Liberal MPs are critics in the official opposition shadow cabinet.

St. John's really lucked out with Siobhan Coady and Jack Harris(who is mine). Both of them are some of the highest-profile members of their caucuses and have been excellent in the House. Siobhan Coady is particular does a lot in her riding, she has town halls at least once a month and is usually acompanied by another Liberal critic.

Edited by Posc Student

How can you understand where Gallant was coming from?

Newfoundland and Labrador ended up with some great MPs. 4 out of our 6 Liberal MPs are critics in the official opposition shadow cabinet.

St. John's really lucked out with Siobhan Coady and Jack Harris(who is mine). Both of them are some of the highest-profile members of their caucuses and have been excellent in the House. Siobhan Coady is particular does a lot in her riding, she has town halls at least once a month and is usually acompanied by another Liberal critic.

Harper will win some or all seat backs in the next election, and what she was getting at was that people need to be more careful, as in don't go out in boats that are to samll or just unsafe, that is where the money is being wasted , on idiots.

Harper will win some or all seat backs in the next election, and what she was getting at was that people need to be more careful, as in don't go out in boats that are to samll or just unsafe, that is where the money is being wasted , on idiots.

That is not what she said at all. She said people shouldn't expect the Coast Guard to save them.

People aren't idiots because they run into trouble in the Atlantic Ocean. Were the people who died on the Cougar Flight idiots?

That is not what she said at all. She said people shouldn't expect the Coast Guard to save them.

People aren't idiots because they run into trouble in the Atlantic Ocean. Were the people who died on the Cougar Flight idiots?

Typical lefty answer, throw the dead in your face ,that is what she meant, now get over it. And why should the coast guard put themselves in danger for people that are not properly prepared to go out on a ocean or any body of water? How much time and money is wasted on idiots.