Conservatives Importing Republican Distortion..

Here's something you won't read in the mainstream right-wing media (CBC included)! :D I wrote this piece--give me comments, criticisms, discuss the article, and then tell everyone you can so my hits go up!

Harper's Conservatives Importing Republican Distortion Tactics

June 17 2004

Counterbias.com

Robert Furs

John Kerry voted to raise taxes 350 times.

Sound like a lot? Well, that’s because the number is grossly exaggerated, and most likely a blatant twist on the facts, an inflated distortion of the truth.

Continue: http://www.counterbias.com/053.html

What the hell is this?

A right load of old rubbish. It seems to me that the author expects politicians to say of their opponents, "Well, he's alright really. You could do a lot worse than voting for him!"

Everybody is playing "distortion tactics" and always has. Go read about Athenian elections in ancient Greece and you'll find plenty of mud-slinging, insults, lies, fabrications and half-truths. The incumbent Cleon in one particular election was described, publicly and in print, by Aristophanes (the famous playwright) as "an inspector of arses [who] helps himself from the public coffers with both hands" and "a villain a thousand times a day." These kinds of insults go on for a whole paragraph, if anyone is interested I will go and find them all (some are quite funny, as you'd expect from the author of "The Frogs" and other classic Greek comedy). Needless to say, the idea that Harper has borrowed a campaign of distortion of truth and personal attacks from the Republicans is as ludicrous as they come.

Paul Martin is saying Harper will outlaw abortion and gay marriage, which he has repeatedly denied. At least what Harper is saying is actually the truth, if selective, but the Liberal ads frequently cross the line into outright lying.