HSBC Cautions against....GOLD

M.Dancer

News to drive the tiin foil prices higher....

“In the medium term, we remain cautious on gold until it demonstrates strength against equities, which also pay dividends,” Morris said in an interview. The $2.5 billion fund, which returned 11.7 percent last year, halved gold holdings from 12 percent in the fourth quarter, Morris said by phone from London, confirming a November statement from the fund.

The world economy will expand at a 3.3 percent rate this year from 3.9 percent in 2010, the World Bank said last week. Goldman Sachs Group Inc., Wall Street’s most profitable investment bank, said this month that the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index will rally 18 percent to 1,500 by the end of December. Gold has advanced for 10 years and reached a record last month

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-18/hsbc-global-asset-s-morris-favors-stocks-over-gold-on-recovery.html

Many people who are hysterical about the political uncertainty of the day urge investing in gold. I consider it dumb, and risky, even if it has tripled in the last ten years. It pays no dividends, costs money to insure, and I don't want to be subject to the whim and fancy of mentally ill gold bugs.

Many people who are hysterical about the political uncertainty of the day urge investing in gold. I consider it dumb, and risky, even if it has tripled in the last ten years. It pays no dividends, costs money to insure, and I don't want to be subject to the whim and fancy of mentally ill gold bugs.

You dont have to buy physical gold to invest in gold. You can also bet on gold by buying shares in mineral/mining companies some of which will pay dividends, and whos stocks are likely to increase if the value of gold does.

You dont have to buy physical gold to invest in gold. You can also bet on gold by buying shares in mineral/mining companies some of which will pay dividends, and whos stocks are likely to increase if the value of gold does.

Still I don't want to be subject to the whim and fancy of mentally ill gold bugs.

True...but that is contigent of the companies finding gold/mining gold...that is by no means a certainty unless you are looking long term at a Goldcorp or Barrick....otherwise there is always bre-X for the extreme risk taker.