BCS

lukin

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of things...

Actually from the same bowl game,namely...The Gator Bowl last Saturday...

1.I really hope that Jim Harbaugh somrhow stays either at Stanford,or goes to the NFL(Maybe San Francisco?)..The reason is that I really want Rich Rodrguez to work out at Michigan.The reason is that I want to see how a team that runs the Spread Offence,like all Rodriguez teams do,will do in a conference like the Big 10(11 or 12?)It would be a real shame for a kid like Denard Robinson to have to go into a less improvisational system,one that someone like Harbaugh would surely bring,if Rodriguez was let go.The problem at Michigan this was not the offence...It was the defence...Which was proven by Mississippi State last week...

Which brings me to...

2.The Mississippe State Bulldogs are a very underrated team in the SEC.Dan Mullen has done a spectacular job there in just 2 seasons.He essentially turned down the Florida job to stay in Starkville.I watched a few MSU games this year,particularily the game against Auburn in September.They are very close to being a championship calibre football team.The Bulldogs simply ran over Michigan on offence,and,had far too much team speed on defence.Mullen seems to be in the process of setting up a recruitment system at MSU that is going to help him,and that team in the future.If I'm not mistaken,most of this years 7-4 team will be returning next year.And now,with coaching stability,the hope is that more kids in that area will go to Mississippi State.

Keep an eye on Mississippi State next year...They play in the SEC,which is tough enough,but more specifically the SEC West...This means they play Alabama,Auburn,LSU,Arkansas,Ole Miss every year!!Then throw in occassional SEC East division teams like Georgia,Florida,and,South Carolina and you've got a hell of a tough schedule!I feel that this team is on the rise and poised for success in the coming years...

A couple of things...

Actually from the same bowl game,namely...The Gator Bowl last Saturday...

1.I really hope that Jim Harbaugh somrhow stays either at Stanford,or goes to the NFL(Maybe San Francisco?)..The reason is that I really want Rich Rodrguez to work out at Michigan.The reason is that I want to see how a team that runs the Spread Offence,like all Rodriguez teams do,will do in a conference like the Big 10(11 or 12?)It would be a real shame for a kid like Denard Robinson to have to go into a less improvisational system,one that someone like Harbaugh would surely bring,if Rodriguez was let go.The problem at Michigan this was not the offence...It was the defence...Which was proven by Mississippi State last week...

Which brings me to...

2.The Mississippe State Bulldogs are a very underrated team in the SEC.Dan Mullen has done a spectacular job there in just 2 seasons.He essentially turned down the Florida job to stay in Starkville.I watched a few MSU games this year,particularily the game against Auburn in September.They are very close to being a championship calibre football team.The Bulldogs simply ran over Michigan on offence,and,had far too much team speed on defence.Mullen seems to be in the process of setting up a recruitment system at MSU that is going to help him,and that team in the future.If I'm not mistaken,most of this years 7-4 team will be returning next year.And now,with coaching stability,the hope is that more kids in that area will go to Mississippi State.

Keep an eye on Mississippi State next year...They play in the SEC,which is tough enough,but more specifically the SEC West...This means they play Alabama,Auburn,LSU,Arkansas,Ole Miss every year!!Then throw in occassional SEC East division teams like Georgia,Florida,and,South Carolina and you've got a hell of a tough schedule!I feel that this team is on the rise and poised for success in the coming years...

Do you favour a playoff, Jack. I'd love to see TCU tangle with Stanford, but we'll never see it. I would rather have seen Boise play Oklahoma instead of UCONN. That would have been a great storyline.

I agree with you on Miss. State even though they cost me a lot of cash when they beat the Gators.

Edited by lukin

Do you favour a playoff, Jack. I'd love to see TCU tangle with Stanford, but we'll never see it. I would rather have seen Boise play Oklahoma instead of UCONN. That would have been a great storyline.

I agree with you on Miss. State even though they cost me a lot of cash when they beat the Gators.

I don't know....TCU played a very good Wisconsin team straight up and beat 'em!The problem with a playoff is that these bowls make so much money for the schools that they don't want to give up any of them...Even the essentially meaningless ones.Let's not forget the money that is generated by the sponsors of these bowls.Sadly,the Division 2 and 3 schoold all have a playoff,and that seems to work.It certainly works in basketball.

Another slightly off topic comment...

For the life of me,I cannot understand why TCU is going to go into the Big East.I'm not knocking the Big East at all...For all it's detractors,Big East teams generally do fairly well in bowl games (I happen to like Rutgers,also)...But I cannot see the attraction to a TCU Rutgers matchup for fans of either school..Or a TCU/West Virginia matchup...Or a Louisville/TCU game...

There's no historic or geographical rivalry!

And seeing as Colorado(I believe) is going to go inot the Pac 10 next year..And I keep hearing Nebraska going into the Big 10 next year...

Would it not be more advantageous for TCU to go into the Big 12 and play a few of the teams they used to have a natural rivalry with in the old Southwest Confwerence?I'm thinking TCU/Texas Tech,TCU/Texas A&M,TCU/Texas is probably a little more interesting than TCU vs South Florida or Syracuse???

I've followed Mississippi State for a long time.They have been the redheaded stepchild of the SEC seemingly forever.It's been a longheld feeling that it's very hard to get kids to go play in Starkville because it's in the middle of nowhere and Ole Miss is the #1 university in the state.The Bulldogs started to gain some noteriety almost 20 years ago when Jackie Sherrill became the head coach and the trajectory for the football program was on the way up.The fcat that Mullen turned down the Florida job tells me that the AD and the school are intending to put some money into the football program and are preparing to compete with the likes of Alabama,LSU,and,Auburn....

Edited by Jack Weber

I don't know....TCU played a very good Wisconsin team straight up and beat 'em!The problem with a playoff is that these bowls make so much money for the schools that they don't want to give up any of them...Even the essentially meaningless ones.Let's not forget the money that is generated by the sponsors of these bowls.Sadly,the Division 2 and 3 schoold all have a playoff,and that seems to work.It certainly works in basketball.

The Rose Bowl was an excellent game. Yes, Wisconsin was a very good team. Imagine a playoff where now we could see TCU play Stanford. Let's be honest, the Orange and Fiesta Bowls were duds. An 8 team playoff with TCU, Wisconsin, Stanford, Oregon, Auburn, Oklahoma, Boise, and Alabama would have been great. You're right...the bowls are all about money, not about making intriguing match-ups.

For the life of me,I cannot understand why TCU is going to go into the Big East.I'm not knocking the Big East at all...For all it's detractors,Big East teams generally do fairly well in bowl games (I happen to like Rutgers,also)...But I cannot see the attraction to a TCU Rutgers matchup for fans of either school..Or a TCU/West Virginia matchup...Or a Louisville/TCU game...

Only the Big East would accept them, and now TCU will be in an AQ conference.

seeing as Colorado(I believe) is going to go inot the Pac 10 next year..And I keep hearing Nebraska going into the Big 10 next year...

Colorado and Utah are going to the now Pac 12. Nebraska is an official member of the Big 10 next year. There will be championship games in both those conferences now. The Big 12 loses their championship game.

Would it not be more advantageous for TCU to go into the Big 12 and play a few of the teams they used to have a natural rivalry with in the old Southwest Confwerence?I'm thinking TCU/Texas Tech,TCU/Texas A&M,TCU/Texas is probably a little more interesting than TCU vs South Florida or Syracuse???

For some reason the Big 12 didn't want them regardless of how much sense it makes.

Edited by lukin