Toronto's Mayor - 1st Controversy (less than 24 hrs in)

Globe and Mail

Ford didn't start it, though, Glen Murray did.

... the minister of research and innovation and a former Winnipeg mayor, wrote in a post on his Twitter account on the weekend that “If u vote Ford u r voting for bigotry.” He also repeated a message from another user that said “ford hudak and harper - the trifecta of republican-style, right wing ignorance and bigotry.”

Are the provincial Liberals and local conservatives "going to the mattresses" Godfather-style ?

It's going to be a bumpy ride, folks.

Globe and Mail

Ford didn't start it, though, Glen Murray did.

Are the provincial Liberals and local conservatives "going to the mattresses" Godfather-style ?

It's going to be a bumpy ride, folks.

It's distasteful. The Provincial government should be trying to work with Ford just as much Ford should be working with the province.

That aside, just because it's distasteful doesn't mean it isn't true.

This seems more to be a Glen Murray/Liberal Party debacle....especially as it relates to Ford. Rob Ford championed many black kids and other minorities through his football teams. His teachings of discipline and dedication helped many stay out of trouble and finish school. Not surprisingly, immigrants overwhelmingly voted for Ford over Smitherman. Have Liberals learned nothing? The people are wising up to the "scary" rhetoric, the unwillingness of the "progressive" parties to listen to the people. People have had enough of the posturing of people like Murray and they are not going to take it any longer. :angry:

It's the 1st controversy of his administration - enjoy it. You only get one 1st controversy.

How is it a controversy of his administration? Nobody in his administration has said or done anything. I really thought you were above this kind of smear merchanting. Still can't get over the election huh? :rolleyes:

How is it a controversy of his administration? Nobody in his administration has said or done anything. I really thought you were above this kind of smear merchanting. Still can't get over the election huh? :rolleyes:

What smear ? It's the beginning of a new era ? Why aren't you elated ?

I'm thrilled with the Ford election, as it gives us more to talk about around here...

To our Shady, any discussion of Ford that is not simply a regurgitation of one of Ford's campaign slogans is ipso facto a smear.

Ford can't be smeared because he is a smear.

And, again, THE PEOPLE DID NOT CARE. So bringing up truthful embarrassments about him are only amusing to those of us who like to push buttons.

It's the 1st controversy of his administration - enjoy it. You only get one 1st controversy.

What administration? Does the City of Toronto have 2 concurrent administrations? He's mayor-elect and will not be sworn in until Dec. 1 and until then TO still has an administration sans Ford.

Ford and the new 44-member council will be sworn in on Dec. 1. The first council meeting will take place on Dec. 7, with 15 new councillors taking seats after this hard-fought election.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101025/election-day-101025/20101025/?hub=TorontoNewHome

It's a Liberal controversy, not a Ford controversy, there's nothing to lay on Ford here.

Nice to see you guys have nothing intelligent to say, only asinine comments and smear tactics.

Keepitsimple is correct, Ford has done a lot of work for a diverse number of people who voted for Ford because they cared and so did he. A Sikh chap in his ward called about water pressure problems, Ford went there personally to look into it, guess who voted for Ford along with many other people he's helped.

I bet there won't be any extended garbage strikes during his term either. :)

What smear ? It's the beginning of a new era ? Why aren't you elated ?

I'm thrilled with the Ford election, as it gives us more to talk about around here...

good governing i think should go above water-cooler talk in priorities.

This guy does look like quiet the character though. But every little thing this guy does is going to blown wide open. And since Global TV seems to think Toronto is the centre of the universe i'll be hearing about this crap on the national news too.

good governing i think should go above water-cooler talk in priorities.

This guy does look like quiet the character though. But every little thing this guy does is going to blown wide open. And since Global TV seems to think Toronto is the centre of the universe i'll be hearing about this crap on the national news too.

Why not..it made news in Miami...

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2010/10/rob_ford_torontos_newly_electe.php

Nice to see you guys have nothing intelligent to say, only asinine comments and smear tactics.

Try participating in the actual discussion instead of just reading the Cliff notes. Personally, I’ve gone into some detail about Ford’s financial plan, his transit scheme (including a comment in response to you on the subject) and so on. I’ve yet to see any of the Fordophiles put forward an actual defence of his platform. Instead we get crap like this:

Ford has done a lot of work for a diverse number of people who voted for Ford because they cared and so did he. A Sikh chap in his ward called about water pressure problems, Ford went there personally to look into it, guess who voted for Ford along with many other people he's helped.

Awww. He listens. He cares.

Big fucking deal.

Ford would make a great mayor of Podunkville, Saskatchewan, Pop. 500, but this is the largest city in Canada, a multi-billion dollar corporation. It requires leadership and competent management, not glad-handing and platitudes. If Ford’s platform and record on council is any indicator, he hasn’t a clue. But I guess as long as he's taking people's calls and rescuing cats from trees (well, if he could get up a tree), the morons don't care.

Edited by Black Dog

... but this is the largest city in Canada, a multi-billion dollar corporation. It requires leadership and competent management, not glad-handing and platitudes. If Ford’s platform and record on council is any indicator, he hasn’t a clue. But I guess as long as he's taking people's calls and rescuing cats from trees (well, if he could get up a tree), the morons don't care.

All true.

But who?

But who?

If the City of Toronto truly adopted the 'open government' initiatives they have paid lip service to, then I think it would help. There wouldn't be as much need for a 'big man' leader to 'fix things' if we had clear visibility into what was being done.

I knew someone who was in charge of streetcar projects once, and one of his biggest headaches was city councilors calling him to put demands on the work being done, such as hours and location.

This is what happens behind closed doors.

It's ok for Rob Ford to throw around allegations of corruption at a restaurant owner without having any evidence, much like Stephen Harper's serious allegations against Helena Guergis without having any evidence either. However it's not ok to remind people of the documented actions and quotes of Rob Ford.

Councillor Ford leaked out that Mayor Ford isn't planning to scrap the existing street car plans. Either Rob Ford's brother is a bigger bumbler than Rob Ford, or Rob Ford wasn't telling it like is, but saying anything to get elected. Not that I'll be upset at this decision, we knew there were two possibilities:

1) break his promise

or

2) drive up expenses with contract penalties to implement a subway plan that's triple the cost and adding further delays.

See, I actually think Miller was quite good (if not quite as great as I hoped for) and will be remembered that way:

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorialopinion/article/880076--face-it-torontonians-miller-time-was-good

Miller had a vision to modernize the city and prepare it for future growth. To address traffic congestion, we needed to get people out of cars. That's where his transit plan and bike lanes would work. Streetcars were selected (after feasibility studies)to be the lowest cost best accessibility. Funding came partly from the Province and from vehicle registration - that kept property tax increases low.

To address the garbage problem and mitigate having to transport our waste to other municipalities, he aggressively implemented recycling, composting, green bin and the 5cent charge on plastic bags (cheap compared to other world cities that charge 6 to 10x more). For those who actually practiced recycling and bag yard composting, the garbage strike could have lasted an additional 3 weeks. For those who didn't, they just whined about it.

One and only one strike after five years in office is a good record for Miller. Compare that the Lastman/Harris when we endured a continuous lineup of disputes depending who in the population the Common Sense Revolution would attack next.

McGuinty/Miller never needed to embarrassingly do the Lastman thing by begging for money from Harris every year to balance the budget. The Toronto Act gave Toronto to power to raise it's own funds and Miller did it. The article described how Miller had achieved a budget surplus in 2008. As far as I know, 2010 has a surplus of $100million. Compare that to Stephen Harper who inherited a $20billion surplus and eliminated it six months before the recession started.

Ford has made some hateful comments in the past regarding gays. He has never apologized or admitted those were wrong.

Until he does, every member of the gay community has the right to refer to him as a bigot.

I'm not a huge fan of Rob Ford. That does not mean that I think less of people who voted for him.

It simply means that being 'politically correct' was not the number one priority for people at the ballot box.

That being said, Ford could win over a lot of people, and put a lot of his skeletons to rest, by simply acknowledging that what he said was wrong, and not reflective of his views about gays.

the gravy train may be coming to a halt, but the unintentional comedy train is just leaving the station.

Ford "interview" with CBC radio

Carol Off: Alright well, okay, we'll continue then. What is it that you think drew so much support to your campaign?

Rob Ford: Yeah, it's just people are sick and tired of the wasteful spending. People are sick and tired of wasteful spending, that's the bottom line, that's what it comes down.

Carol Off: Well there—

Rob Ford: You know, I'm the only one that can go down there [inaudible, then, yelling:] Just go get changed! Go! Out! And get changed! Don't worry about the water right now. [Pause.] Sorry.

Carol Off: Uh-huh—

Rob Ford: So, um, yeah, no, people are just fed up with, uh, with, you know, uh, politicians squandering, uh, hard-earned tax dollars, and they know that I'm gonna get rid of the sixty-dollar car registration tax and the land transfer tax.

Carol Off: Well you know that your campaign has been compared to Mike Harris's Common Sense Revolution, to the Tea Party movement, do you see those comparisons?

Rob Ford: I don't see [inaudible] comparisons [inaudible] what, I don't care [laughs]. I just, I just know, know the taxpayers, uh, want, uh, you know, the gravy train to come to an end, and that, uh, Rob Ford's the guy to do it, and uh [inaudible]—

Carol Off: Do you think there are similarities?

Rob Ford: And, and, I don't, I don't see there's any similarities, I just know that, uh, like I said, uh, I'm, you know, gonna put an end to the wasteful spending, and, uh...you know, stop the gravy train—sorry, I'm being distracted [inaudible] so...

As a communications professional, I understan dteh value of staying "on message" and hitting your targets. But this is ridiculous.

Edited by Black Dog