Any scotch drinkers?

Lagavulin stuff is terrific!

I went and bought myself a bottle of benromach - speyside peat smoke. Very nice! Calling your scotch "peat smoke" certainly infers certain things, but the smokiness of this scotch doesn't overpower the smooth qualities or taste. I find it a bit of an odd name for it actually. Don't expect a Peat Monster or Smokehead with this stuff...

269258_0.png

Thanks for the tip,I haven't yet tried that one. It's darn near time to go shopping again so I'll look it up. What do you think about the new still in jolly old London that I recently heard about on the news is starting up? First one in 200 years so they said. I guess we'll have to wait a bit to sample those wares but I already appreciate the effort.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about buying the stones, but balked at the price. I bought some ornamental glass "stones" and threw them in the freezer, and they seem to work ok. The idea of going out and looking for actual stones occurred to me, but started wondering about stuff like whether they might contain stuff that could dissolve into my whisky, or if they might turn into sediment while I was drinking, and so-on.

-k

Whisky stones are usually made from soapstone. I've tried them but I prefer ice. Here is a DIY whisky stone link. If you don't have a mitre saw with a diamond blade this will cost more than simply buying some, but you will feel the satisfaction of a job well done.

• 2 years later...

I was about to post a question in the Cocktail de nuit thread but a search turned up this departed treasure. I enjoy whisky in all forms and am currently drinking a 14 year old Oban. For those that partake, what would be your recommendation? My go to variety is the original 10 yr old Glenmorangie. Give me your favourite as well as a sub $120 pick. I am a fan of less smoky varieties.

I have whisky stones and they're not meant to chill your whisky. They do however act in a similar way to putting a few drops of distilled water into your whisky, which opens up the flavour sometimes.

I prefer my whisky room temperature anyway, though the I do like the sound of ice clinking on a glass. What is this about water, do you literally mean a few drops? I have never heard of this before.

Edited by Guest

I was about to post a question in the Cocktail de nuit thread but a search turned up this departed treasure. I enjoy whisky in all forms and am currently drinking a 14 year old Oban. For those that partake, what would be your recommendation? My go to variety is the original 10 yr old Glenmorangie. Give me your favourite as well as a sub $120 pick. I am a fan of less smoky varieties.

I would suggest Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.

It's aged in port casks and is absolutely amazing. We can get it for ~$80 in B.C.

I also use a splash of water... non-carbonated mineral water.

glenmorangie_quinta_ruban.jpg

My wife has similar tastes, less peat more light. The latest faves in the cabinet are Cardhu Gold Reserve, Glenfarclas 15 year, Macallan Gold, and the Singleton Spey Cascade. All under $100

• 2 years later...