Alberta refuses to join others provinces in banning sex ads

The sex trafficking part of it is bad. The part about trying to control morality is also bad.

How are 'social conservatives' trying to control morality (other than some are anti abortion). All gov'ts have some control over morals or our actions, otherwise there would be no laws against any crime, pedophilia, polygamy and so on.

Gay marriage is a closed issue there's nothing going on to change it, nor will there be. What legislation or even policies are there, or are being changed in order to enact any legislation.

I don't see pot as a morality issue, I see it as a safety/health issue, sex outside of marriage - say what, what have I missed. Some people may not agree with it but I don't see them attempting to legislate anything.

Edited by scribblet

Gay marriage is a closed issue there's nothing going on to change it, nor will there be. What legislation or even policies are there, or are being changed in order to enact any legislation.

I don't see pot as a morality issue, I see it as a safety/health issue, sex outside of marriage - say what, what have I missed. Some people may not agree with it but I don't see them attempting to legislate anything.

I don't think that you know many social conservatives. There are many other social issues we could take about. As for pot - it's no more a safety issue than alcohol. We're legislating morality, and many social conservatives would like to legislate far more. Sex before marriage in most cases may be a bit of an exaggeration, but it's all part of the package.

I know a lot of conservatives from both sides, I served on EDA's for both Reform, Alliance and CPC in more than one riding, so do have a wide area of knowledge. (I'm not involved right now)

The only issue of real importance to them that they would actively support legislation on, is abortion and for a very few, oral contraceptives (they think it's an 'abortifacient' and that I've read about, I don't know them personally. Other than abortion I know of know move or propositions to bring anything forward on any other issue. Many people, not just conservatives have reservations about some issues but I doubt that they would legislate anything.

Please enlighten me as to what morality legislation, other than abortion, you think some would like to see enacted.

Please enlighten me as to what morality legislation, other than abortion, you think some would like to see enacted.

Do you think that social conservatives want to decriminalize prostitution (or legalize it)? Do you think many would not like to see same sex marriage repealed? I know the answer to both, because I'm surrounded by social conservatives.

Do you think that social conservatives want to decriminalize prostitution (or legalize it)? Do you think many would not like to see same sex marriage repealed? I know the answer to both, because I'm surrounded by social conservatives.

I can't even believe that anyone would try to deny the prevalence of these moral crusaders amongst Conservative supporters. Cannabis a health and safety issue?? Give me a phuckin break.

Well, there are some apparent mental issues involved with the use of pot

Something quite self evident on these forums.

I am applauding the Alberta government for not bending to the actions of the left in other provinces in first going after Kijiji and now Craigslist.

Where the hell are you going to find W4MWW otherwise?

I can't even believe that anyone would try to deny the prevalence of these moral crusaders amongst Conservative supporters. Cannabis a health and safety issue?? Give me a phuckin break.

I'm not denying that these issues don't exist, they do with a minority, they even exist outside of the CPC. I'm saying that there is no CPC policy or proposed legislation of moral issues.

As far as pot goes I don't think someone with a very small amount on them should be made a criminal, but pot is a drug, it does kill brain cells and certainly there are no reliable tests for driving while drugged. If people are opposed to tougher sentences for drug trafficking too bad, anyone caught trafficking in drugs should be treated harshly.

Is the legalizing of drugs, or the abuse of drugs a 'moral' issue, it's a health issue when people become addicted requiring health care, IMO the harm of drugs on society far outweighs any 'benefit' there might be from legalization, which in itself would cause a huge criminal black market. But we are off topic.

Edited by scribblet

Not sure whether to start another thread or not, if this is hijacking the original then the mods can move it.

Just read this today, it's worth a read as it speaks to the issue of drugs.

What we need also is referenda on important 'social' issues.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/opinion/sorry-to-harsh-your-mellow-california-but/article1759454/

excerpted:

By contrast, opponents say the change will increase rates of marijuana use, magnifying the harm arising from that use. The adverse consequences of greatest concern include more marijuana-related road traffic accidents and deaths; more psychoses and other serious mental health problems among heavy users; and heavier marijuana use by young people, negatively affecting their life chances. These effects, they argue, will more than offset any gains from tax revenue and savings from law enforcement.

It is difficult to know who is right, because no other country has adopted this policy. The Netherlands, which is popularly believed to have legalized cannabis use along these lines, has in fact tolerated only small-scale retail sales of marijuana in a limited number of coffee shops. Cultivation remains illegal and coffee shop sales are regulated.

Nevertheless, some broad predictions can be made. First, openly tolerating a market in a previously illegal commodity will expand the number of users, especially if the retail price is lower than the black-market price (as is proposed in the California bill). Experience with alcohol suggests that marijuana will be available to underage users, whatever the minimum legal age. This probably means more use by more young people, and probably more daily use later into adulthood.

If current estimates are correct, around 10 per cent of users may become dependent on marijuana. Only a minority of these problem users will seek professional help to quit. Dependent marijuana users are more likely to experience road and workplace accidents, impaired performance, increased respiratory disease and exacerbations of some serious mental disorders.

From what I understand is that prostitution is legal now in Canada. And that is fairly recent. Turns out it always was legal. It was the solicitation that was the issue.

So I guess the social conservatives don't mind or don't care.

I am wondering why they are attempting this again.

Back in the 1990 a free magazine in Toronto called Now was charged with 14 counts of solicitation. The charges were dropped in part because the law had to do with communicating in public and advertising in print and online was not seen as "public"