Katy Perry and Elmo

Melanie_

Guest American Woman

I have a problem with it because it's a television show that is meant to educate children. When I say that society only appreciates women for their appearances, this is the kind of stuff that kids are exposed to, both male and female, that shapes the way they relate to women as they grow up.

[...]

She could have been on the show in less sexualized attire

So when women wear clothes that don't hide their body, the clothing is "sexualized." If a woman shows her body, society is only appreciating her for her appearance. I'm sure the kids were mesmerized by her sexuality, her appearance, and not the song. <_<

Apparently unless a woman is completely hiding her body, she is being "sexualized;" she must wear baggy sweats, no cleavage, no curves showing.

Sounds an awful lot like the mindset of Muslim men who insist that their women wear the burka.

Newsflash. That's what a woman's body looks like. I doubt the three year olds watching the video were aware of anything other than the song, and if they were, so what? Women have breasts. Women have curves. Should kids be taught that they should be hidden? That they are something to be ashamed of?

Edited by American Woman

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

The fact is, three year olds see their mothers dressed like that sometimes. Mothers of three year olds sometimes go out to for dinner, out dancing, out to the theatre, go to parties - and sometimes they *gasp* wear dresses that don't hide their bodies/curves. :o

I kept waiting for whatever the fuss was all about to happen in that video, and then realized it was just Katy's dress - the same type of dress that many a young mother wears and doesn't hide from her children.

She was not "selling sex" and wearing such a dress is not "reinforcing the commodification of female sexuality;" really, I repeat, I don't see that mindset as far from the idea that women must cover themselves up. Women who don't cover up, who show their curves, are evidently guilty of "reinforcing the commodification of female sexuality." <_<

The fact is, three year olds see their mothers dressed like that sometimes. Mothers of three year olds sometimes go out to for dinner, out dancing, out to the theatre, go to parties - and sometimes they *gasp* wear dresses that don't hide their bodies/curves. :o

I kept waiting for whatever the fuss was all about to happen in that video, and then realized it was just Katy's dress - the same type of dress that many a young mother wears and doesn't hide from her children.

She was not "selling sex" and wearing such a dress is not "reinforcing the commodification of female sexuality;" really, I repeat, I don't see that mindset as far from the idea that women must cover themselves up. Women who don't cover up, who show their curves, are evidently guilty of "reinforcing the commodification of female sexuality." <_<

Again, I never said women must cover up. In those situation you list in your first paragraph it is completely fine, if that's what a woman chooses to do. In fact, it's not at all about what a woman should or should not wear. It's about what a child's educational show is portraying. Frankly, it's not appropriate for Katy Perry to be dressing up like she's going out on a date "for dinner, out dancing, out to the theatre, [or] ... to parties," when she's on a kids' show. Sesame Street is not date night. If she wants to show off her body in a sexually suggestive manner, as one may or may not choose to do when going on a date, then that's her problem. However, one has to wonder why this would be appropriate for a children's program? It sets the groundwork for people's understanding of women as always being sexually available and promotes a culture that you refuse to acknowledge exists, namely a culture that only values women for their appearance and sexuality.

Edited by cybercoma

Guest American Woman

Again, I never said women must cover up. In those situation you list in your first paragraph it is completely fine, if that's what a woman chooses to do.

As a woman, good to know when it's ok not to cover up; when it's "completely fine" to dress the way I "choose to do."

In fact, it's not at all about what a woman should or should not wear. It's about what a child's educational show is portraying.

Whew. Good to know it's not all about what woman should or shouldn't wear.

Frankly, it's not appropriate for Katy Perry to be dressing up like she's going out on a date "for dinner, out dancing, out to the theatre, [or] ... to parties," when she's on a kids' show.

Really? I didn't realize "dressing for going out to dinner" was something that's not ok on kids' shows. Why is that, exactly?

Sesame Street is not date night.

Sometimes when women go out to dinner, to the theatre, etc., it's not "date night" either. Sometimes they take their kids out to eat and take their kids to the theatre.

If she wants to show off her body in a sexually suggestive manner, as one may or may not choose to do when going on a date, then that's her problem.

So if a woman isn't hiding her body, if she shows her curves, she is "showing it off in a suggestive manner?" Seriously. You sound exactly like the Muslim men who believe women should keep themselves hidden. You just have occasions where you think it's ok not to. That's about the only difference I can see.

However, one has to wonder why this would be appropriate for a children's program? It sets the groundwork for people's understanding of women as always being sexually available and promotes a culture that you refuse to acknowledge exists, namely a culture that only values women for their appearance and sexuality.

You are off the wall with that conclusion. In fact, I would say your POV would go further to support that notion. In effect, teaching kids that women's bodies must be hidden, by never letting them see them in clothing that you consider "ok for a date," promoting the idea that not covering up is "showing off," "sexualizing" herself, teaches the very thing(s) you are so against in society.

Just Katy Perry for the crime of exposing her sexuality. BURN HER!!!

:lol: :lol:

There is nothing wrong with protecting children from sexuality. What passes for modest attire for a 12 year old girl used to be considered out of bounds. How did this happen? Our views changed, of course. Why? Because society gets bombarded with sexed up movies, telecasts, commercials, magazines, etc which have made the provocative seem tame over the course of 30 to 40 years. Or are we just better educated?(not!)

And this has changed views of what is and is not good for young children as our norms have shifted. Now we want to pigeonhole their sexuality with sex education at a very young age, before they even know what they might or might not be.

So although in this one case I don't think Perry was wearing something too provocative, it still wasn't necessary. But it's somewhat short sighted to want to protect your kids from the Perry video on one hand when you leave them in front of the TV and expose them to other kinds of media on the other hand, in which loose norms are in full display.

So although in this one case I don't think Perry was wearing something too provocative, it still wasn't necessary. But it's somewhat short sighted to want to protect your kids from the Perry video on one hand when you leave them in front of the TV and expose them to other kinds of media on the other hand, in which loose norms are in full display.

This is exactly my point. AW take note. You don't need to construct strawman arguments to hold a dissenting viewpoint. The fact of the matter is I'm not dictating anything about what Katy Perry should or should not wear. She can wear whatever she damn well pleases. I'm saying that it's not appropriate to be selling sex on a chlidren's show. Apparently the producers of Sesame Street thought it was inappropriate enough to pull as well, but I don't see you making the ridiculous leap in logic that they're trying to tell Katy Perry how to dress. This isn't about how Katy Perry chooses to dress. It's about how Sesame Street chooses to educate children. Would you find that an appropriate outfit for a teacher to be wearing in a classroom?

Edited by cybercoma

Beyonce and Destiny's Child were on Sesame Street in the late 90s and it didn't spark any controversy.

Feist was also on there recently with no problems.

But, as you can see from the videos, their performances were much more appropriate for a children's show. They weren't on there wearing clothing that would be better suited for a nightclub than a classroom full of preschoolers. There is absolutely no reason Katy Perry needed to be presented in the manner that she was in that video.

Here we have the evil Ms Perry corrupting young ladies with thoughts of kissing another girl rather than reserving herself for some hairy guy with a beard. Perhaps like some of males posting in this thread.

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaLWotyJ258

Edited by DogOnPorch

So although in this one case I don't think Perry was wearing something too provocative, it still wasn't necessary.

Chocolate, Porsches, bikinis and big screen tvs aren't either. May not have been necessary, but DAMN it was nice.
But it's somewhat short sighted to want to protect your kids from the Perry video on one hand when you leave them in front of the TV and expose them to other kinds of media on the other hand, in which loose norms are in full display.

I for one really, really like her norms.

I think norms on display like that should be the norm.

and to think I'm the one people call right-wing socially conservative.