Burn a Qu'ran Day.

Yeah, what does General Patreus know about it anyway. He should mind his own business.

So you support Patreus' actions in Iraq? Or are you just playing games?

Lets all be silly and let our emotions guide our thoughts and actions. Consequences? So what. What consequences?

The consequences will be fear as long as there are people like you around.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you support Patreus' actions in Iraq? Or are you just playing games?

Of course he's just playing games. He's part of the General Betray-us group of thinking.

Anyways, this Burn a Qu'ran Day is similar to the mosque proposal. In both cases both groups have a fundamental freedom to their idea and action. But in both cases, at least in my opinion, these ideas are not good ones. However, if the adherence to sensibilities wasn't such a one-way street, I don't think this Burn a Qu'ran Day idea would have received much momuntum.

Of course he's just playing games. He's part of the General Betray-us group of thinking.

What? General Betray-us? General Petraeus is probably one of the best generals the US has at the moment. He was instrumental in turning Iraq around and is perhaps America's last hope in Afghanistan...

Anyways, this Burn a Qu'ran Day is similar to the mosque proposal. In both cases both groups have a fundamental freedom to their idea and action. But in both cases, at least in my opinion, these ideas are not good ones. However, if the adherence to sensibilities wasn't such a one-way street, I don't think this Burn a Qu'ran Day idea would have received much momuntum.

Wow. Comparing a book burning ceremony a la the Nazis to the regular building of prayer centres is as about as low as you can go.

Wow. Comparing a book burning ceremony a la the Nazis to the regular building of prayer centres is as about as low as you can go.

Book burnings are associated with nazis? :blink:

Patreaus has a point. The burning of the Koran WILL be used by extremists. That is certain. It does put US and NATO troops at even more risk in Afghanistan.

I agree.

Guest American Woman

I have to wonder -- which would ultimately cause the greatest harm to the troops: the backlash/anger over burning a Koran, or in effect surrendering to the enemy's threats?

Iraq??? Who mentioned it. Seems like you are the one playing games, trying to obfuscate the issue. Again

But he is a "general", so everything he says must be gospel...for you.

Yeah, I guess the General must be sore afraid

I hope he is afraid...just like you. If we have to take Islam and you kicking and screaming from the 7th century, then so be it.

But he is a "general", so everything he says must be gospel...for you.

I hope he is afraid...just like you. If we have to take Islam and you kicking and screaming from the 7th century, then so be it.

I'm all for letting the people who know what they're doing have their say. The general has proven himself before and he is right there, in the field. If he says something about it, we should listen up and take heed. That's the way it works in the army, not so sure about you, sailor boy

I'm all for letting the people who know what they're doing have their say. The general has proven himself before and he is right there, in the field. If he says something about it, we should listen up and take heed. That's the way it works in the army, not so sure about you, sailor boy

Sorry "boy", that's not how it works at all. Generals can say a lot of things, but they cannot tell a US citizen with constitutional rights to not burn a book. The troops are already at risk because of far more relevant and dangerous circumstances (many created by generals).

Burn the goddamn book....on national television.

Sorry "boy", that's not how it works at all. Generals can say a lot of things, but they cannot tell a US citizen with constitutional rights to not burn a book. The troops are already at risk because of far more relevant and dangerous circumstances (many created by generals).

Burn the goddamn book....on national television.

The general cannot force a US citizen with constitutional rights to not burn the book. They are free to do it. And you are free to advocate it. You are free to make the jobs of the US soldiers in afghanistan lot harder than they need to be. You are free to feel smug about it in your self rightousness, that you were legally entitled to do it, and so you did. It is not your problem if it results in more difficulty for the mission, the one that they want to end soon. You are entitled to your taunting from the safety of America, while other Americans face the risk. Because the liberal does not weight their actions on the basis of what's right and wrong, only on what they're entitled to.

The general cannot force a US citizen with constitutional rights to not burn the book. They are free to do it. And you are free to advocate it. You are free to make the jobs of the US soldiers in afghanistan lot harder than they need to be. You are free to feel smug about it in your self rightousness, that you were legally entitled to do it, and so you did. It is not your problem if it results in more difficulty for the mission, the one that they want to end soon. You are entitled to your taunting from the safety of America, while other Americans face the risk. Because the liberal does not weight their actions on the basis of what's right and wrong, only on what they're entitled to.

I read this with a Jack Nicholson accent, if you know what I mean.

Bravo!

Sometimes trolls need to be told off in an intelligent manner - it's entertainment for the rest of us.

Guest American Woman

You are free to make the jobs of the US soldiers in afghanistan lot harder than they need to be.

So you think surrendering to terrorist threats is the way to win in Afghanistan? Why fight at all? Why not just support al Qaeda and the Taliban?

I don't get the General's remarks. I mean, I understand what he's saying; I don't understand why he's saying it. Seems to me the whole purpose of the mission is to fight against the terrorist threat, not give in to it. Seems to me it would undermine the whole purpose for being there.

Edited by American Woman

....Because the liberal does not weight their actions on the basis of what's right and wrong, only on what they're entitled to.

Duh? What the hell do you think they are fighting for? You can bow before the holy book of your choice, but nobody needs you to remind us that we don't have to...ever. I paid my dues a long time ago.

...I don't get the General's remarks. I mean, I understand what he's saying; I don't understand why he's saying it. Seems to me the whole purpose of the mission is to fight against the terrorist threat, not give in to it. Seems to me it would undermine the whole purpose for being there.

Precisely....as the "generals" have done more to place troops in harms way (by design) than any pastor in the USA.

I don't get the General's remarks. I mean, I understand what he's saying; I don't understand why he's saying it.

Because the struggle is asymetrical....the politics of it can be as deadly as the fighting if those who you are fighting turn against you because some dickhead says crap and burns the books...

Because the struggle is asymetrical....the politics of it can be as deadly as the fighting if those who you are fighting turn against you because some dickhead says crap and burns the books...

errrr...that's why we are fighting them. They "turned" against a long time ago.....I blame Brittney Spears.

Taliban like to vacation in Afghanistan....ditto Al Qaeda.

That proves nothing. The Northern Alliance also you might say vacation there. They are our allies against the Taliban but they are not unconditional allies. They have domestic politics to deal with just as we do. And their political battles are a little more real than ours, ifyadig...and it doesn't help them if morons burn books that their constituency feel attached to. I'm sure you can connect the dots.

Yeah, Winnipeg is a real bastion of conservatism. So is Manitoba for that matter. NDP Premier with an NDP majority legislature. :rolleyes:

Ol' Tom Douglas would be proud.

OT. Speaking of Tommy Douglas, I didn't know he was Kiefer Sutherland's grandfather.

Kiefer Sutherland is coming to Saskatchewan to pay tribute to the father of medicare — his grandfather, Tommy Douglas.

The Canadian actor, producer and director, best known for his portrayal of Jack Bauer on the television drama series 24, will be representing Shirley Douglas and family at the unveiling of the Tommy Douglas statue on Friday in Weyburn, Sask., 117 kilometres southeast of Regina.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/Kiefer+Sutherland+unveil+Tommy+Douglas+statue+Saskatchewan/3490729/story.html

===

On the topic of the thread. It amazes me that such a small congregation could spark such an international uproar. I say go ahead and burn the Koran, even 2 or 3 copies if you want. Those who will get pissed off are already pissed off at the US anyway. Since I have some modicum of common sense, if I was a Muslim I'd think "they got hurt real bad on 9/11. I don't blame the yanks one bit. They're still hurting and showing it".

On the conspiracy front, I heard someone on a talk show say that it's a Republican plot to draw Obama into a public discussion to spur talk of whether or not he is really a Muslim. I'm surprised that such a supposed plot hasn't yet made the front pages. There's still time.