Harper's Evil Hidden Agenda?

Canada's left-wing claim Stephen Harper would impose an neo-con hidden agenda if he were to win a majority. Why is the left so against this? Wouldn't it benefit them long-term if Harper imposed all this evil in 5 years. Canadians would be so upset at this hidden agenda that they would never vote CPC for decades, thus insuring Liberal dominance.

Canada's left-wing claim Stephen Harper would impose an neo-con hidden agenda if he were to win a majority. Why is the left so against this? Wouldn't it benefit them long-term if Harper imposed all this evil in 5 years. Canadians would be so upset at this hidden agenda that they would never vote CPC for decades, thus insuring Liberal dominance.

He seems to be doing fine with his agenda of wasting tax dollars and putting canada in debt more than the other industrialized nations (this higher debt that germany france and england will happen before the next scheduled election - judging by figures I've seen - unless there are drastic cutbacks and tax hikes.)

We have a population 1/3rd the size of those countries, and a debt 1/2. already meaning we have higher per capita debt than pretty much every g8 nation (except the US) - and you can't compare canada to the US because the US economy is much larger than the Canadian one.

Edited by William Ashley

He seems to be doing fine with his agenda of wasting tax dollars and putting canada in debt more than the other industrialized nations (this higher debt that germany france and england will happen before the next scheduled election - judging by figures I've seen - unless there are drastic cutbacks and tax hikes.)

We have a population 1/3rd the size of those countries, and a debt 1/2. already meaning we have higher per capita debt than pretty much every g8 nation (except the US) - and you can't compare canada to the US because the US economy is much larger than the Canadian one.

Why dodge the question?

I think Harper cares far more about keeping power and about building up the CPC than he does about a hard right agenda. That means if he got a majority he'd keep to the same relatively moderate course he's been setting while in minority. If he got a majority and showed that he is not some far right ideologue, center/left people would not be quite as scared of him and he'd likely end up with an even bigger majority next time.

I guess it could be true, although I also don't like the left-wing.

Harper had much more money than his rival in his election. Many people wondered where it came from.

If he get majority, I will not surprise if he will try to buy more weapons, make more street weapons available, send more troops to abroad, make gas price even higher, those things will make US weapon industry and oil industry happy.

I think Harper cares far more about keeping power and about building up the CPC than he does about a hard right agenda. That means if he got a majority he'd keep to the same relatively moderate course he's been setting while in minority. If he got a majority and showed that he is not some far right ideologue, center/left people would not be quite as scared of him and he'd likely end up with an even bigger majority next time.

I actually doubt that. I think if Harper/CPC got a majority he would slide further to the right and if he were smart would slowly try to do so to see how much he could get away with before the public revolted and poll number started to slide. He would be a fool at least not try to test the public's threshold for a more right-wing policies.

He could also push more right-wing policies in the first few years once elected, then go back to more moderate polices within a year or 2 of another election. As we know, Canadian voters have a short memory.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

He must be evil - the left have been telling us that for years

He must be scary as well, although I have not seen him called that for a while now

Borg

He must be evil - the left have been telling us that for years

I hear he keeps throwing "red meat" and the occasional "bone" in the direction of his supporters. Harper must be a heck of a hunter. I just hope that meat was government inspected.

Touring in Quebec, Ignatieff decried the Chief Statistician's resignation. He asked, in the next phase, if Harper doesn't like the weather, would he then close down Environment Canada.

Et maintenant la prochaine étape ce sera de fermer Environnement Canada parce qu'ils n'aiment pas la météo ?

http://fr.canoe.ca/infos/quebeccanada/archives/2010/07/20100723-070616.html

That Ignatieff fella is pretty clever but I doubt he's as good a hunter as Harper.

The name Conservative is a very interesting because Hill, confirm what I always thought, the party is really reform but using the Conservative name to get their job done. He said today in a interview that the conservatives have come around to the Reform values. He was on CBC's Power & Politics and he also said with his retirement he will go back to BC and work with the oil and gas industry. So this "Conservative" party is really the Alliance and would people vote for the Alliance, no but, having the name Conservative, yes, they do.

The name Conservative is a very interesting because Hill, confirm what I always thought, the party is really reform but using the Conservative name to get their job done. He said today in a interview that the conservatives have come around to the Reform values. He was on CBC's Power & Politics and he also said with his retirement he will go back to BC and work with the oil and gas industry. So this "Conservative" party is really the Alliance and would people vote for the Alliance, no but, having the name Conservative, yes, they do.

It always was...

Just look at the people in positions of power in that party...

Other than McKay and maybe Jim Prentice,who is not either an ex (hardcore) Reform member or a Harrisite from Ontario?

Harper's main agenda besides trying to entrench himself in the PMO, is to do whatever is in the interests of the big oil companies. They didn't like the Kyoto Treaty....not a problem! It's as good as dead since digging up those foul tar sands and cooking them for oil is the primary cause of Canada's growing carbon footprint. And full speed ahead on our offshore drilling rigs in the North Atlantic and up in the Arctic, where a spill will create a much bigger disaster than in warm waters like the Gulf of Mexico.....oh well, it's all part of doing what's best for Big Oil -- which is the evil Harper agenda that we should be worried about.

Why dodge the question?

'Cause... it's a really silly question.

I'm remembering a softball coach explaining that it was okay to let the opposition run up the score in the first few innings, because, you see, they'd get all tired from running around the bases like that, and then you'd have them right where you want them. Are you, by any chance, that coach?

Harper's main agenda besides trying to entrench himself in the PMO, is to do whatever is in the interests of the big oil companies. They didn't like the Kyoto Treaty....not a problem! It's as good as dead since digging up those foul tar sands and cooking them for oil is the primary cause of Canada's growing carbon footprint. And full speed ahead on our offshore drilling rigs in the North Atlantic and up in the Arctic, where a spill will create a much bigger disaster than in warm waters like the Gulf of Mexico.....oh well, it's all part of doing what's best for Big Oil -- which is the evil Harper agenda that we should be worried about.

So you are interested in helping big-green interests make billions?

The CPC is far from being Reform and in fact is more like the old Red Tories, except that they do want to keep the actual parliamentary reform ideas if they can. e.g. elected senate, fixed election dates, nothing bad about that.

The old PC party would never have voted to merge if there was no agreement on policies and principles, trotting the old booga boohs doesn't cut it anymore.

In some ways,the Conservatives are much like the Liberal governments of the past.Like the Liberals,we currently have big government.Like the Liberals,there appears to be an enormous amount of waste within government.Like the Liberals,we have a big spending government.You wring your hands with despair at our huge debt and deficit,but conveniently forget that the political left was screaming for more stimulus spending at a faster rate.Not much has changed on the law and order front either,Canada has one of the most lenient criminal justice systems around and will continue to do so.Like the Liberals,the Conservatives fill vacancies with their own kind,ever wonder how the Senate came to be dominated by Liberals,as well as most senior government positions?You hate the fact that Canadian soldiers are in Afghanistan,but have forgotten that is was the Liberals that sent them there in the first place.You decry the fact that poor Omar Khadr is still being held at Gitmo and desperately want him back in Canada,but you ignore almost one thousand other Canadians being held in foreign jails.

If the Conservatives have an agenda,then it stands to reason that the Liberals do as well.What's on their agenda besides cementing their place in power,just like the Conservatives are doing?

Fine but my taxes don't have to support it.

Now, now - that would not be the entitled canucklehead way. You need to share your taxes so that some who claim poverty can eat and others can claim they will take them out of poverty through the creation of jobs.

You absolutely MUST stop thinking logically - it will make me think there are at least a few people on this worthless board who have at least a bit of a small brain

Borg

With Hill going The PMO just lost a key strategist like i pointed out in my post on Hill.

with Hill not there The PMO will have a lot of problem's keeping the party in line!!!!.

With Hill going The PMO just lost a key strategist like i pointed out in my post on Hill.

with Hill not there The PMO will have a lot of problem's keeping the party in line!!!!.

Hill was just the whip...

He takes orders from the PMO and the people behind the scenes like Guy Giorno...

Giorno,along with Leslie Noble and Deb Hutton,ran the backroom of the Harris government in Ontario...

The last thing we need is ANY kind of majority government.

Ill vote against any party that has a chance to get a minority even if I like their platform.

Certainly not one like the Harris government.And that is what we will get if Harper gets his blessed majority.All one has to do is look at the former Harrisites in key cabinet positions to see where things would go if they got full control of parliament.

But considering all the options,I don't want to see anyone get a majority either...None of the leaders are terribly impressive to me...

Edited by Jack Weber

Fine but my taxes don't have to support it.

If your taxes don't support green energy strategies, I don't want my taxes to go to support your dirty oil industry any longer! What other industry gets to claim depreciation allowances on something they didn't make? Something that comes out of the ground, produced over long stretches of time by decayed organic material. The oil industry gets to treat that damn oil pocket like its a piece of factory machinery that will have to be replaced every 20 years! And we, the taxpayers, collectively subsidize their exploration and development....but for some reason, giving tax incentives to other competing energy sources is cheating! Canada was giving away almost 1.5 billion in tax breaks to the oil companies four years ago -- I wonder what the latest numbers are, if they're available! It's not hard to figure out who's running this country!