Mosque going up in NYC building

Guest American Woman

If the 9/11 attackers where white Christians, no one would be complaining about a christian church going up in the same place where this mosque / community center will go.

I disagree with your unprovable premise. I think there would be plenty of people complaining.

Anyways, apparently this Imam plans to open the mosque on 9/11 of 2011. Yeah, this project is being done for all the right reasons. :rolleyes:

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

Weiner does it again. He sums up in one sentence what has been debated for 51 pages here.

"elected officials should endeavor to stay out of the business of deciding where houses of worship may or may not be."

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/06/in-mosque-debate-a-rival-praises-bloomberg/

WHAT???

Try to grasp this. Try really, really hard. PAY ATTENTION. This thread isn't about "elected officials getting involved in deciding where houses of worship may or may not be."

We've clearly said WE RESPECT THEIR RIGHT TO BUILD THERE, that we DON'T THINK THEY SHOULD BE DENIED THE RIGHT TO BUILD THERE.

So we've already said, long ago, exactly what "weiner" has said.

WHAT???

Try to grasp this. Try really, really hard. PAY ATTENTION. This thread isn't about "elected officials getting involved in deciding where houses of worship may or may not be."

We've clearly said WE RESPECT THEIR RIGHT TO BUILD THERE, that we DON'T THINK THEY SHOULD BE DENIED THE RIGHT TO BUILD THERE.

Than why are talking about it at all if we all agree.

WHAT???

Indeed. It's about the right of a small minority of (mainly) cranks and shit disturbers to decide where houses of worship may or may not be.

Two thumbs up for the Center for Islamic Pluralism!

"Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf bills his plan for an Islamic cultural center near Ground Zero -- which the city's Landmarks Preservation Commission is expected to vote on tonight -- as a platform for interfaith cooperation, dialogue and understanding.

But the plan is obviously provocative and confrontational -- and it's hard to imagine that Rauf didn't know that long before it became public.

That's one big reason why American Muslims, like other Americans, should reject the project -- particularly if they really want to adhere to traditional Islamic principles. I say that as a Muslim convert since 1997.

Traditional, moderate Islam teaches Muslims living in non-Muslim-majority societies to obey the laws and customs of the country in which they reside. They must avoid conflict with their non-Muslim neighbors whenever possible.

Yet it was no secret that a major Islamic construction project near Ground Zero would offend many New Yorkers; indeed, American Muslims themselves were uneasy about the idea from the beginning. Rauf, while he preaches peace, chose the path of controversy and provocation by originating this mosque project."

Center for Islamic Pluralism

And a second thumbs up to Zuhdi Jasser of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy!

"Ground zero shouldn’t be about promoting Islam. It’s the place where war was declared on us as Americans. To use that space for Muslim outreach is the worst form of misjudgment."

American Islamic Forum for Democracy

Well said sirs, well said!

Guest American Woman

Then what, exactly, are we talking about? Empathy? Why?

It's been explained over and over. If you still have to ask "why," you either aren't reading what's been said or choosing to ignore it. Or perhaps you really aren't understanding it. In any case, it would be completely pointless to repeat it all again. I've repeated myself to death.

It's amazing to me that there seems to be only one person who couldn't care less if this mosque/center is built there, yet understands that I'm not saying/believing what I'm accused of. So thank you for that, Kimmy.

Guest American Woman

Two thumbs up for the Center for Islamic Pluralism!

And a second thumbs up to Zuhdi Jasser of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy!

Well said sirs, well said!

My thoughts exactly.

I don't know why all of those people who are going after anyone who questions this choice of property assumes that all of the Americans who don't think it's a good idea to build the mosque there are non-Muslims.

Edited by American Woman

You seem keen to ignore the fact that I've said over and over again that I don't blame all Muslims for 9-11, so I'll continue to condemn you for calling me a bigot based on something I haven't done. If you can't understand what empathy is, fine, but if that's the case, don't accuse me of blaming all Muslims for 9-11 because of your ignorance in that regard.

Once again.

I DO NOT BLAME ALL MUSLIMS FOR 9-11.

It don't think they should build on the site out of empathy. I expect no more of them than I expect of anyone else. I'm not asking any more of them than I ask of myself.

Now see if you can respond to what I actually said. I won't, however, hold my breath or put any money on your ability to do so.

You don't blame all Muslims for 9-11, but you do expect all of them to not build a mosque near Ground Zero because it's "insensitive". You can try to wiggle out of it, but the fact is that the only reason you think it's insensitive is because you are casting blame far and wide. I mean, would a synagogue or a church, or a heck, a Hindu temple, bother you?

Guest American Woman

I mean, would a synagogue or a church, or a heck, a Hindu temple, bother you?

If Jews or Christians, or heck, Hindus, had been responsible for 9-11, then YES .... a synagogue or a church, or a heck, a Hindu temple, would bother me.

Have I not made that clear in the dozen or so posts where I already said that?

If Jews or Christians, or heck, Hindus, had been responsible for 9-11, then YES .... a synagogue or a church, or a heck, a Hindu temple, would bother me.

Have I not made that clear in the dozen or so posts where I already said that?

And we're right back to you blaming all Muslims.

At any rate, they have the legal right, I hope they build the damned thing just to piss you off. You have serious deficiencies of logic that play right into it.

Guest American Woman

At any rate, they have the legal right, I hope they build the damned thing just to piss you off. You have serious deficiencies of logic that play right into it.

Oh. My. God.

How are be back to me blaming all Muslims, which I clearly said I don't, by my admitting that I would feel the same about any religion that was responsible for 9-11?

Are the Muslim Americans who question it, who don't think it's the right choice, blaming all Muslims too?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Learn to listen to what people say. Until you do, I'll just continue to shake my head at your ignorance.

They will build it and victory will be declared.

Guest TrueMetis

They will build it and victory will be declared.

Yes because all Muslims are trying to topple western civilization. They all think and act exactly the same. :rolleyes:

Oh. My. God.

How are be back to me blaming all Muslims, which I clearly said I don't, by my admitting that I would feel the same about any religion that was responsible for 9-11?

Are the Muslim Americans who question it, who don't think it's the right choice, blaming all Muslims too?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Learn to listen to what people say. Until you do, I'll just continue to shake my head at your ignorance.

Save it. Read what you wrote above:

I would feel the same about any religion that was responsible for 9-11

You keep confirming my suspicions.

Save it. Read what you wrote above:

I would feel the same about any religion that was responsible for 9-11

You keep confirming my suspicions.

Exactly. The fact that she can't seem to understand that she is incriminating herself with every statement is quite telling.

Yes because all Muslims are trying to topple western civilization. They all think and act exactly the same. :rolleyes:

You should really drop the 'bigot' rhetoric. Tiresome. You don't know me...I don't know you.

Many will view this as a victory for Islam...particulary Radical Islam...you know...the ones we have to watch-out for. The ones that would gladly put you 6 ft under without so much as a by-your-leave. Yeah...those ones. Plus, no matter that y'all want to split hairs re: Ground Zero/9-11...they'll view it as a mosque built AT Ground Zero...not 600' away.

A victory...that's what it'll be. That's how it will be viewed.