Mosque going up in NYC building

Guest American Woman

Guest TrueMetis

I know I'm not the first to ask this,but

Why is this the best place for this Mosque???

To me,the mosque is'nt the problem,it's the time and place(emphasis on place)

The guy has been Imam of the mosque in the area fir 27 years. It was never a problem before.

This is what he said: "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic."

Sounds to me as if he's saying the opposite. That one death is a tragedy, while millions is nothing more than a statistic. I don't understand how you could interpret "one person dying doesn't mean anything" from "a single death is a tragedy." And of course you added the "significant" to it, which completely changes the meaning of that part of the quote.

It's only a tragedy to the people affected by it. One person dies a year in a car crash, sucks to be that persons friends and family. A million people die a year in car crash's, you've then got statistics and it matter to everybody.

Edited by TrueMetis

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're close. I believe it's saying that if someone you care about dies, it's a tragedy. If a whole bunch of people that you don't know die, then you don't really care all that much....and that's right.

Edited by Smallc

Guest American Woman

Your interpretation of this supposed Stalin quote is correct. A million deaths means nothing.

He's obviously wrong, though; people do care about the thousands of deaths that occurred on 9-11, those deaths are not just a statistic, just as people cared about the large death toll from the tsunami, the earthquake in Haiti, etc. I don't doubt that sometimes it's true, but I'd say just as often it's not.

Guest American Woman

Evidently "mum's the word" from the White House regarding the mosque. Obama has said they have the right to build there, which is really how most everyone feels, but has declined to comment on the wisdom of building there.

link

I don't doubt that sometimes it's true, but I'd say just as often it's not.

It is true in that for the most part, people didn't care as much as if someone close to them had died. They can see it, and they can understand, but they aren't generally engaged in the situation. Stalin was right.

He's obviously wrong, though; people do care about the thousands of deaths that occurred on 9-11, those deaths are not just a statistic, just as people cared about the large death toll from the tsunami, the earthquake in Haiti, etc. I don't doubt that sometimes it's true, but I'd say just as often it's not.

No matter who said it, I always imagined it refered to the horrible fighting on the Russian Front...in particular Stalin's No Retreat policy early-on during the campaign. The casualties the Soviet Union took right on the chin would have put any other nation right out of the war.

So as it turns out one of the people who may be funding the mosque is from Saudi Arabia. But he also happens to be one of the biggest shareholders in Fox News. That's right the funding is from none other than Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal Don't you just love it? :lol:

Here's the clip. My link

That seems to be the new meme going around from the lefties over the last couple of days. I'd refer you to the difference between investing and funding thread.

Guest TrueMetis

That seems to be the new meme going around from the lefties over the last couple of days. I'd refer you to the difference between investing and funding thread.

And what, pray tell, does that have to do with Fox News essentially saying Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal is funding terrorists? While also being one of the largest shareholders in Fox? If you can't see the problem with that it really confirms what I always though about you.

Why is this the best place for this Mosque???

To me,the mosque is'nt the problem,it's the time and place(emphasis on place)

Exactly.

It's a symbol of Muslim victory over the West.

Guest TrueMetis

How so?

"look at the infidels they fear us so they won't allow a mosque to be built"

Or alternatively

"look at the infidels they hate us just look at what happens when a mosque is going to be built in their country"

"look at the infidels they fear us so they won't allow a mosque to be built"

Or alternatively

"look at the infidels they hate us just look at what happens when a mosque is going to be built in their country"

I disagree.

Hundreds of mosques have been built "in their country" since 9/11. The question is where it will be built. There, or some place close by.

In another forum on a related topic, one poster said this:

One might even be able to draw a comparison to the Japanese wanting to build a memorial at Pearl Harbor."

I responded:

"I think this would depend. What about a memorial to the Japanese internment victims:

Japanese American internment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or to Japanese servicemen whose contribution to the US war effort was crucial:

Japanese American service in World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Certainly you're not lumping them all together with the Japanese Imperial Army now are you?

What would be wrong with a memorial near Pearl harbor of how the attack on Pearl Harbor led, indirectly, to the internment camps? Or a memorial to the Japanese-American servicemen who'd helped to ensure another Pearl Harbor did not occur again? Do we not appreciate the efforts of those servicemen because they are Japanese?

I think it's the same issue here. Just as we can't lump the Japanese Imperial Army and Japanese-American servicemen of the time together, so we can't lump Al-Qa'ida and American Muslims together either. Do we not recognize that innocent Muslims also died on 9/11 and that some American Muslims also helped fight the war on terror? Do we not appreciate the efforts of those compatriots?

It would seem to me that a memorial to the Japanese resistance to the Japanese Imperial Army, such as Japanese-American servicemen, would be more than appropriate, no?

Would a memorial to the 100th Infantry Battalion be inappropriate because it was a Japanese-American force in WWII?

100th Infantry Battalion (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some of its members were part of the internment detainees, caused by the attack on Pearl Harbor. Many of them were of Hawaiian descent. And most joined the US Army voluntarily. And many gave their lives to defend the US. So, it would be inappropriate to have a memorial for them near Pearl Harbor because it was an all-Japanese infantry battalion?

Would a museum near Pearl Harbor with this photo in it be inappropriate:

100th Infantry Battalion (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So what if all those soldiers are Japanese. They're American too, damn it.

And here's their crest, with the slogan:

Remember Pearl Harbor

File:100th infantry battalion.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And if we consider that over 6,000 Japanese Americans served in the Military Intelligence Service, we can't deny that they were the eyes and ears of the US military in the Pacific. Without them, the military wouldn't have had a clue half the time of what the Japanese were up to.

So, would it be inappropriate to have a memorial to them near Pearl Harbor? Do we associate them with the Japanese Imperial Army?"

Machjo: So, would it be inappropriate to have a memorial to them near Pearl Harbor? Do we associate them with the Japanese Imperial Army?

Dunno about right in Pearl Harbor, itself (still an active military base)...but there's one in Waikiki and Washington DC, already.

So remember if you a Muslim in NY you are more likely to be killed for it then be a terrorist Shady waiting for your reply.

http://www.ny1.com/?ArID=124338

If you wish to include a time frame of say 10 years, you would have to show over 3000 muslims killed for being muslim.

So far I know of one. You statement is false.

If you wish to include a time frame of say 10 years, you would have to show over 3000 muslims killed for being muslim.

So far I know of one. You statement is false.

Those Muslims weren't from NY AND none of the flights were from NY. You are wrong and are trying to re-write history. Again if you a Muslim from NY you are more likely to be killed for it then BE A TERRORIST.

And just for fun I include this youtube video of Regan dedicating the Columbia to the Taliban his bestest friends. I know who created this monster, crazy right wingers, and I know who keeps feeding it crazy right wingers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abkg94I_uWo&feature=player_embedded

Edited by punked

Those Muslims weren't from NY AND none of the flights were from NY. You are wrong and are trying to re-write history. Again if you a Muslim from NY you are more likely to be killed for it then BE A TERRORIST.

Do you mean "than" rather than "then"?

If so you are saying,if you are a muslim from NY you are more likely to be killed for (being muslim) than for being a terrorist?

and you are basing this grand pronouncement from one murder?

Sorry but your murderous use of the language is making it difficult to understand what you are struggling to say.

Christians scare me.

:P

Never mind that. Just look at what they BELIEVE....

"that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree"

YIKES!

Do you mean "than" rather than "then"?

If so you are saying,if you are a muslim from NY you are more likely to be killed for (being muslim) than for being a terrorist?

and you are basing this grand pronouncement from one murder?

Sorry but your murderous use of the language is making it difficult to understand what you are struggling to say.

Yah gotcha you were wrong so you change the subject. Fact still remains if you are in NY and run into a Muslim stats say they more likely to be dead by the end of the dead for their religion than be a terrorist yet people are mad that the peaceful Muslims of NY want to build a building.

Fact still remains if you are in NY and run into a Muslim stats say they more likely to be dead by the end of the dead for their religion than be a terrorist yet people are mad that the peaceful Muslims of NY want to build a building.

And I still can't make heads or tails of what you are trying to say...what are muslim stats? end by the end of the dead?

If you are trying to say that you are more likely to be killed for being muslim rather than for being a terrorist, I would say based on one murder, unequivocally, you are wrong.

If you have some actruarial source thatmight make more sense than you are currently, go for it.