Mosque going up in NYC building

Guest American Woman

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, that since these guys are all muslim, that's why the muslims shouldn't build the mosque there.

I'm not sure where you're getting that from. I was simply responding to the claim that it's somehow bigoted to rightly point out the obvious relation between Islam and 9/11. Some of you seem to have your heads buried in the sand. Probably on purpose.

I'm not sure where you're getting that from. I was simply responding to the claim that it's somehow bigoted to rightly point out the obvious relation between Islam and 9/11. Some of you seem to have your heads buried in the sand. Probably on purpose.

Like I said, it's too delicately worded in political correctness for me to get it. The truth is simple.

Like I said, it's too delicately worded in political correctness for me to get it. The truth is simple.

Fair enough. However, if you can't grasp that concept, perhaps you shouldn't be posting in this thread. Leave it to people who can understand things like these. That way you don't look so foolish. :)

I never thought I would quote Ron Paul but I am going to because he has a different view point then you do and at least it isn't a simpleton one. Even Ron Paul gets it is way more complicated then "Terrorists are Muslim and they hate freedom." Why can't you?

Edited by punked

The 9/11 Hijackers

Mohamed Atta

Waleed al-Shehri

Wail al-Shehri

Abdulaziz al-Omari

Satam al-Suqami

Marwan al-Shehhi

Fayez Banihammad

Mohand al-Shehri

Hamza al-Ghamdi

Ahmed al-Ghamdi

Hani Hanjour

Khalid al-Mihdhar

Majed Moqed

Nawaf al-Hazmi

Salem al-Hazmi

Ziad Jarrah

Ahmed al-Haznawi

Ahmed al-Nami

Saeed al-Ghamdi

Hmmm, if only there was something in common with all these individuals. But I can't quite put my finger on it. :rolleyes:

Oooh, oooh, is it that they were all men? Is it? Is it?

Good thing no one wants to build a bath house on 9/11 ground!

Paul Krugman had a good post about this issue: Bad for the Jews:

So let’s try some comparable cases, OK? It causes some people pain to see Jews operating small businesses in non-Jewish neighborhoods; it causes some people pain to see Jews writing for national publications (as I learn from my mailbox most weeks); it causes some people pain to see Jews on the Supreme Court. So would ADL [Anti-Defamation League] agree that we should ban Jews from these activities, so as to spare these people pain? No?

Fair enough. However, if you can't grasp that concept, perhaps you shouldn't be posting in this thread. Leave it to people who can understand things like these. That way you don't look so foolish. :)

I don't care how you see me. But I'd rather not be seen agreeing with Newt Gingrich, Pat Robertson and Sarah Palin in this.

Besides, my view is that the mosque should have been allowed, as long as it appeals to moderate people, muslim or non. But regardless of whether it gets built or not, that is almost secondary now, to what the debate itself reveals about the mentality of people. That much I understand.

Krugman: So let’s try some comparable cases, OK? It causes some people pain to see Jews operating small businesses in non-Jewish neighborhoods; it causes some people pain to see Jews writing for national publications (as I learn from my mailbox most weeks); it causes some people pain to see Jews on the Supreme Court. So would ADL [Anti-Defamation League] agree that we should ban Jews from these activities, so as to spare these people pain? No?

Except of course that the cases are not comparable. Get back to me after Jews crash airplanes into skyscrapers on American soil and kill thousands of American civilians in the process, and then want to build a synagogue in the ruins.

Guest TrueMetis

Except of course that the cases are not comparable. Get back to me after Jews crash airplanes into skyscrapers on American soil and kill thousands of American civilians in the process, and then want to build a synagogue in the ruins.

Well come back to me when Muslims do that.

Ok ok, a few blocks down the street from the ruins. Technicalities, sheesh.

Yeah. Plus, it's a cultural center with a mosque in one room. Plus, the building was used as an impromptu mosque before they announced they were going to renovate it. So muslims were going there up to 5 times a day, every day for probably several years already. But now they announced they want to build it up, what happens? Boom. Targeted by extremists. And their apologists. As well as those who don't agree with them, but merely "understand". :wacko:

Yeah. Plus, it's a cultural center with a mosque in one room. Plus, the building was used as an impromptu mosque before they announced they were going to renovate it. So muslims were going there up to 5 times a day, every day for probably several years already. But now they announced they want to build it up, what happens? Boom. Targeted by extremists. And their apologists. As well as those who don't agree with them, but merely "understand". :wacko:

What is nice about it is most the people banging their drums about it don't even live in NY. Guess what Newt, Sarah, Shady and the States rights crowd. YOU DON'T GET A SAY!

Sure, and I suppose it's surprising to you that Germany has an embassy in Israel.

Sure, and I suppose it's surprising to you that Germany has an embassy in Israel.

Why would that surprise me? Israel and Germany have had close ties since relatively soon after the war. Germany paid extensive reparations to surviving Jews and to the state of Israel on behalf of those Jews that had no surviving families. German war criminals were tried and punished. Hostilities are long since over and the German and Jewish people are for the most part reconciled.

The same cannot be said of the United States and Islamic extremists.

Edited by Bonam

Why would that surprise me? Israel and Germany have had close ties since relatively soon after the war. Germany paid extensive reparations to surviving Jews and to the state of Israel on behalf of those Jews that had no surviving families. German war criminals were tried and punished. Hostilities are long since over and the German and Jewish people are for the most part reconciled.

Sure but they (extremists) arent the ones that want to build the stupid church.

The bigots just don't get it, do you?

All Muslims are not Islamic extremists just like all Germans are not Nazi's and just like not all Jews are evil world dominating bankers (or whatever the anti-jewish flavour of the day is) just like not all Catholic priests are child molesters etc....

BTW, of course I support warm relations between Germany and Israel.

As I support warm relations between Americans who are not Muslim and Americans who are Muslim and would like to worship in a mosque that may happen to end up on 9/11 soil.

All Muslims are not Islamic extremists just like all Germans are not Nazi's and just like not all Jews are evil world dominating bankers (or whatever the anti-jewish flavour of the day is) just like not all Catholic priests are child molesters etc....

As I support warm relations between Americans who are not Muslim and Americans who are Muslim and would like to worship in a mosque that may happen to end up on 9/11 soil.

2 Blocks away from 9/11 soil.

I still don't like Germans..and that was over 60 years ago ---Chanberlain if alive today would say "build that mosque" That "I had a talk with Hitler and seems like a nice enough fellow".............................live and learn - we live but do not learn.

It isn't name calling when it is true.

Says the terrorist. Wait, would that be name-calling? Nope, not if I claim that "it's true". Doesn't matter if there's no evidence to support it right?

Several posters in this thread, evidently including yourself, are in the habit of assuming everyone you disagree with is a bigot. You may want to grow up sometime and realize that a wide range of opinions can exist on any given topic without the people holding those opinions being evil.

Ah yes, name-calling, certainly a time-honored debating tactic. Once you can do something besides foaming at the mouth and mumbling about bigots let me know.

As punked has already pointed out, calling someone what they are is a fact.

As for foaming at the mouth - well, that has more to do with your drinkin' problem than me mumbling. ;)

Oh, and how does one mumble when writing in a forum? Hmmmm.