Wikileaks video of combat in Iraq

Bonam

So I saw a news article that linked to the video at the top of this page:

http://wikileaks.org/

Basically, it shows a US military operation where a drone pilot mistakes journalists for militants and shoots them. The video and the media in general is raising a huge hue and cry over this.

The first 3 minutes of the video are padded with commentary, start at 2:50 for the actual footage if you wanna skip that.

Having watched the video, it seems to me that there was no real wrongdoing. They simply mistook the cameras for weapons, an entirely possible mistake given the limitations of the technology as seen in the video.

What do others here think?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TrueMetis

Basically, it shows a US military operation where a drone pilot mistakes journalists for militants and shoots them. The video and the media in general is raising a huge hue and cry over this.

It was an Apache Helicopter.

Having watched the video, it seems to me that there was no real wrongdoing. They simply mistook the cameras for weapons, an entirely possible mistake given the limitations of the technology as seen in the video.

There was wrongdoing, in that they tried to cover it up. The actual killing was a accident though, for the reasons you state.

It was an Apache Helicopter.

Really? Didn't know. Seemed like a drone video. You'd think those guys woulda noticed an Apache circling with its guns trained on em.

There was wrongdoing, in that they tried to cover it up. The actual killing was a accident though, for the reasons you state.

Agreed.

Really? Didn't know. Seemed like a drone video. You'd think those guys woulda noticed an Apache circling with its guns trained on em.

They did notice....and decided to point an optical sensor at the gunship. Big mistake. Rules of engagement kick in followed by permission to fire.

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/leaked-us-video-shows-iraq-deaths-3448891

cowards use technology so they have to risk their lives, then blame the technology when they kill someone...for fuck sakes even I could tell they were cameras and most of those people weren't carrying anything, that's murder...

At 3:47 in the video it looks like they are carry weapons.

At 4:14 it appears someone is taking an offensive position using a building for cover.

I couldn't see anything that looked like a camera.

I don’t think any of you watched the video. There is nothing that looks anything like a RPG , just an excuse to shoot. It looks like the soldiers can’t wait for permission to shoot and kill...one of them is even begging to shoot...run over dead bodies, refuse to take the children to a proper hospital...These soldiers are zombie armies, brainwashed and often go mental when hey return from their service.

It looks like the call of Duty game, so fun to kill/shoot. The only problem is these people are real humans.

I just hope this kind of misconduct is not allowed in the Canadian warfront. LOL@...

They did notice....and decided to point an optical sensor at the gunship. Big mistake. Rules of engagement kick in followed by permission to fire.

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/leaked-us-video-shows-iraq-deaths-3448891

Turner said the military had released documents to Reuters last year in response to the FOIA request showing the presence of weapons on the scene, including AK-47 rifles and an RPG 7 grenade launcher.

You have to wonder why a journalist needs a RPG...

Not sure if they need an RPG, but you would be taking great risks to travel in that country without at least some kind of weapon to protect yourself.

Indeed. That's what minders and Haliburton are for. An RPG is a stretch of a weapon to avoid trouble...being that it has to be fired in the open..

cowards use technology so they have to risk their lives, then blame the technology when they kill someone...for fuck sakes even I could tell they were cameras and most of those people weren't carrying anything, that's murder...

Murder....how so....tell me those armed insurgents were not out to engage american forces....as they had been doing all day.... does anyone not take an RPG out to the market....or go bird hunting with....Heres the rules of engagement...if your in a known conmbat zone and carry a wpn openly your a target period....those that were unarmed....well shit mister what do you think they were there for...they wanted to see thier boys get some....and while ROE have them as still civilians to be aviod if possiable.....the gunner did think key word here is think or percieved that they where going to fire an RPG on american forces....i guess those poor inocent civilains that came out to see some american get waxed....got more than his money worth ....The media crew where out to film the same event they knew the risk...and paid the price...guess they should have been in those Bradlys instead....

I don’t think any of you watched the video. There is nothing that looks anything like a RPG , just an excuse to shoot. It looks like the soldiers can’t wait for permission to shoot and kill...one of them is even begging to shoot...run over dead bodies, refuse to take the children to a proper hospital...These soldiers are zombie armies, brainwashed and often go mental when hey return from their service.

It looks like the call of Duty game, so fun to kill/shoot. The only problem is these people are real humans.

I just hope this kind of misconduct is not allowed in the Canadian warfront. LOL@...

What did you think combat was going to be like....a clean surgical enviroment...full of sane men taking thier time and making sane decisions ....you got a small visual sample of combat....Murphys law says anything that can go wrong will go wrong....

in the bad guys case thier entire day went to shit....in the medias case should have picked the winning side to film....Bad guys were out to kill some americans....the media guys were there to cash in on that film....both paid a heavy price...

And to answer your question, Canadian ROE's are alot tighter but this scene would be a lawful shoot...

....The media crew where out to film the same event they knew the risk...and paid the price...guess they should have been in those Bradlys instead....

That's the most twisted part...the media crew from Reuters thought they would get special treatment...maybe because they were wearing press badges?

in the medias case should have picked the winning side to film...bad guys were out to kill some americans....the media guys were there to cash in on that film....both paid a heavy price...

Uhhh, there's been nothing to prove there were any bad guys. Did not see any weapons at all.

Secondly, so what you're saying is that there should be censorship? Isn't that what the media is there for to begin with? That if the army screws up and kills a whole bunch of civilians, that in a democratic society the voters should be able to see what their money pays for and who breaks the law?

Most of the journalists that go don't go to cash in on their "films." For the most part they get paid terribly and are put in horribly dangerous situations so they can file small stories which are buried in the 18th page of a shitty paper or website.

Uhhh, there's been nothing to prove there were any bad guys. Did not see any weapons at all.

Did you read the report? An RPG and ak 47s recovered. And from my own viewing, it sure looked like a few weapons, not to mention they looked like they were scouting to attack.

Plus, they were virtually imbedded with an insurgent group.

Sucks to be them...