Visible Minorities to be majority in 25 years

That's actually the same here. I know a couple of Americans who are still Americans. One is trying to become Canadian.

Well, the reason she was trying to emigrate was because, as bizarre as it sounds in light of this and other threads, Canada is even harder to immigrate to. It was easier, relatively speaking, for her to emigrate to the US than it was for her boyfriend to immigrate here. For them, the whole process was horrifyingly difficult (even getting a hold of the US Consular Services in Vancouver was an exercise in patience). I lost contact with her a few years ago, so I don't know how it all ended.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just "Mexicans"...sheesh. Many US citizens speak Spanish by choice and custom.

It isn't just Mexicans, but they most certainly make up the majority of Spanish-speaking peoples entering (by whatever means) the United States. Obviously it depends on where you are. Puerto Ricans and Cubans abound in some areas of the Continental US, and I know there are lots of Spanish-speaking Filipinos in Hawaii (not Latino, of course, but Spanish-speakers nonetheless).

Would you not agree that most of the growth in the Spanish speaking population comes from the United States of Mexico?

No...as the United States has a large domestic Hispanic population of about 46 million, second only to Mexico in the entire world. About 60% of the origin is from Mexico, not all Spanish speaking growth.

First- Thanks for the welcome, both to you and DOgOnPorch - Glad to be aboard.

As for your statement, I can only hope they're not coming here solely out of spite, which I don't think they are.Hopefully the fact that we're welcoming them with open arms attenuates the blow.

I think it's simple self-interest that compels them to come here. The same thing that compels capital to move about the world at will. Capitalism and self-interest are the ethos of the times and I think it's a little romantic if not idealistic to expect that people are coming here solely so they can be good Canadians. Aside from the run of the mill C-suite toady's, I don't think anyone is under any illusions that capital patriotically swears it's allegiance to whatever country it decides to set up shop. Perhaps if migrant corporations were held to the same general standards human immigrants are, human immigrants would be less compelled to leave their countries of origin.

Edited by eyeball

No...as the United States has a large domestic Hispanic population of about 46 million, second only to Mexico in the entire world. About 60% of the origin is from Mexico, not all Spanish speaking growth.

I have another question? Did you read my post, because you just answered no and followed with a yes.

Edited by Smallc

Well most people disagree with you on that.

Well good for most people. Most people have no experience with the system. I've known several people who have went through the system, and it certainly isn't easy of open.

You people don't even bother to think, do you? It's all just knee-jerk reflex in defense of massive immigration.

There are certainly differences between all cultures. THe difference between ours and those of Europe are fairly small, however, compared to the difference between ours and people who think women are chattel and a toilet is a magic fountain.

It's the result of years of brainwashing that's akin to the fact that many Canadians think that our national healthcare system should be a source of national pride and a model for the world to follow.

Guest TrueMetis

I have another question? Did you read my post, because you just answered no and followed with a yes.

Guy is a great example of how age has nothing to do with wisdom or intelligence.

He answered it correctly....there are far more US born Latin Americans than immigrant latin americans...therefore the growth of spanish is from a domestic source first, then form immigrants....

Edited by M.Dancer

He answered it correctly....there are far more US born Latin Americans than immigrant latin americans...therefore the growth of spanish is from a domestic source first, then form immigrants....

He said that Mexican immigration makes up 60% of the growth. Last time I checked, 60% constituted a majority.

He said that Mexican immigration makes up 60% of the growth. Last time I checked, 60% constituted a majority.

of immigrants....there are twice as many native born hispanics in the US than immmigrants...

in the context of your post...

I'm not assuming that the Mexican immigrants intend to change things, but I think it's starting to have an interesting effect on US language dynamics.

mexican immigrants are a minority in relation to spanish speakers...

to some being a Canadian is only possible if they're white...

All countries with White majorities are supposed to be for everyone, heck you probably believe that it's racist to have a white majority in England, but most non-white countries are virtually homogeneous. You're a big advocate of double-standards are you?

Another thing, there are plenty of countries that are called Muslim countries, where you're basically treated like a second class citizen if you're not a Muslim, but how many countries are referred to as Christian countries?

of immigrants....there are twice as many native born hispanics in the US than immmigrants...

mexican immigrants are a minority in relation to spanish speakers...

Well that's nice and all, but since we were talking about the effects of immigration, I wasn't really interested in the native spanish speaking population. They were always part of American culture. Perhaps I should have been more clear, or perhaps you were just trying to find a reason to argue.

Edited by Smallc

All countries with White majorities are supposed to be for everyone, heck you probably believe that it's racist to have a white majority in England, but most non-white countries are virtually homogeneous. You're a big advocate of double-standards are you?

Another thing, there are plenty of countries that are called Muslim countries, where you're basically treated like a second class citizen if you're not a Muslim, but how many countries are referred to as Christian countries?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_X4hchmxnSH8/RjJJXIygGiI/AAAAAAAAAQI/QQ_B-z9b518/s320/dagwood_sleep.gif

Please don't hurt him too bad.....he is young...and from Winnipeg!

I am at least one of those things...but as with in the other thread, those things are irrelevant to the points being made...as is the usual with those arguments.

Well that's nice and all, but since we were talking about the effects of immigration, I wasn't really interested in the native spanish speaking population. They were always part of American culture. Perhaps I should have been more clear, or perhaps you were just trying to find a reason to argue.

Not at all....but the argument about spanish and immigrants in the US context is like suggesting that more Onrario immigration to quebec will change the language dynamic there...

Last time I checked, they were in the US on visas.
They were not American citizens, making them immigrants. Even if they were American citizens, had they immigrated into the US, they would still be immigrants. There is nothing wrong, backwards, or condemnable about being an immigrant, regardless what Argus and his ilk say. In fact, I imagine it would take quite a bit of courage, conviction, and hope to pack up everything and move to completely foreign country. Make no mistake about it, though: there is nothing commendable about terrorism and murder.