Great quote by Trudeau on Canada-US relations

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Scorpio, Ghosthacked, and Bloodyminded. Can't figure out where August is coming from with his insistance that I'm "pretending" Trudeau said that. Evidently my being an American has something to do with it, but I haven't been able to figure out quite what. :P Especially since I cited a Canadian source, too.

But since it's in Trudeau's memoirs, guess that sets the record straight, so I'm sure August will be acknowledging it any time now.....

:) Oh, sure he will......

Probably you pretended Trudeau's memoirs into being anyway.

And yes, it likely has something to do with your being an American. Augusts' two great dislikes are these massive caricatures of things he calls "Americans" and "the left"--neither of which seem to share many attributes in common with the actual entities.

Guest American Woman

Awww, I'm hurt, I don't even get a mention. :P

Oops! Sorry Smallc. Thanks to you, too....I do believe you were the first Canadian to come to this American's rescue. :)

Oops! Sorry Smallc. Thanks to you, too....I do believe you were the first Canadian to come to this American's rescue. :)

The Internet is a wonderful thing. Or else, I'd have to run on down to the bilioteca to find all this out. I am sure they have his book on file in some library around here. :D

Guest American Woman

I'm still just trying to figure out what Canada's civil code is.

Not saying what you think? Not being able to say what you think? :unsure: Seems to me that's what August is saying.

Glad to hear you're confused, too, though; I thought I didn't know what Canada's civil code is because I'm an American.

Trudeau did more for the separtist then anybody, I think he was one. Tore the engish culture right out of this country , but protected the french culture. Trudeau will go down as one of the worst PM's in history and we are still paying for his crimes against the country.

The Constitution makes him a traitor?

I think the two posters above you need to go back and read some "real" history, instead of parroting the right wing crap they've been fed. Trudeau was a staunch federalist and did not cater to Quebec in regards to our constitution.

It wasn't just a gift to Quebecers. It was a gift to all Canadians.

Where is the "gift", having everything in duplicate? Forcing French down the throats of unwilling Albertans and British Columbians? The thought was that Quebec would join a happy, harmonious Canadian party if only the use of French outside of Quebec was increased. They still refused to sign onto the patriation of the Constitution.

No, I'm simply right. I have a couple of family members in the civil service who can't speak any French.

I'm focusing more on areas such as Toronto and Ottawa, where there is some demand for French but not enough that everyone needs to speak it. These areas are where English-speakers suffer a loss of employment opportunity, and in the military.

And the 2 that followed him as P.M.s were no better.
Do you mean Clark and Mulroney or Mulroney and Campbell? There are ambiguities in your post.

Where is the "gift", having everything in duplicate?

Considering we were formed by two major language groups, yes.

Forcing French down the throats of unwilling Albertans and British Columbians?

Who cares what they think. It really doesn't affect them all that much. What it does do, os allow Canadians in either language to access government services where they should be reasonably expected. Even the Quebec provincial government has to provide service in English on request because of our guarantees and bilingualism.

The thought was that Quebec would join a happy, harmonious Canadian party if only the use of French outside of Quebec was increased. They still refused to sign onto the patriation of the Constitution.

It doesn't matter, since signing on was a meaningless gesture. Really, that was a long time ago.

I'm focusing more on areas such as Toronto and Ottawa, where there is some demand for French but not enough that everyone needs to speak it. These areas are where English-speakers suffer a loss of employment opportunity, and in the military.

there are programs to help people in the civil service learn the other language where necessary. To join the military, you don't need to know both languages, just as with the RCMP. With CSIS, or the CSEC you do though.

Where is the "gift", having everything in duplicate? Forcing French down the throats of unwilling Albertans and British Columbians? The thought was that Quebec would join a happy, harmonious Canadian party if only the use of French outside of Quebec was increased. They still refused to sign onto the patriation of the Constitution.

when was French forced down anyone's throat in Alberta and BC please tell us when this grievous assault took place, why is it I only know a dozen words of French?

there are programs to help people in the civil service learn the other language where necessary. To join the military, you don't need to know both languages, just as with the RCMP. With CSIS, or the CSEC you do though.

I regret not learning French when I had the opportunity...

here's a Euro joke...

If you speak four languages you are multilingual

If you speak three languages you are trilingual..

If you speak two languages you're bilingual

what are you if you speak only one language................................american....

I regret not learning French when I had the opportunity...

I wish I was given the opportunity. I lived in a very small place with no French in its school program. I've been trying to learn now through software, but I'm not doing great.

Yeah, as an Albertan I'd like to know that too, and I speak even fewer words in French.

one of my daughters is officially bilingual after 4 or 5 years of French instruction how hard was that? a whole world of job opportunites open up for her efforts...

one of my daughters is officially bilingual after 4 or 5 years of French instruction how hard was that? a whole world of job opportunites open up for her efforts...

I don't think Trudeau went far enough; I would have like to have seen French immersion from kindergarten to grade 12. And you're right, many more opportunites do open up with another language under your belt.

I wish I was given the opportunity. I lived in a very small place with no French in its school program. I've been trying to learn now through software, but I'm not doing great.

of course it's so much easier when you're young...my wife wants to move to France or Spain on her retirement I'm quick at picking up language but it gets more and more difficult as you age so the the thought of going there frightens me a bit...

I don't think Trudeau went far enough; I would have like to have seen French immersion from kindergarten to grade 12. And you're right, many more opportunites do open up with another language under your belt.

there are those opportunities for french immersion in urban areas but not nearly enough, near my home there is a Spanish immersion I would have loved to put my son in there but he was considered to old for the program...

It's amazing how quickly the rabid right pounces when Trudeau's name is mentioned. The guy has been out of politics for 26 years, dead 10 years. Get over it.

it kills some in Alberta they can't blame him for the collapse of the energy sector with a conservative Federal and Provincial government...