Great quote by Trudeau on Canada-US relations

Semantics. Trudeau was much more than an economist. He felt all provinces should be on an even playing field, and took on the provincial premiers to that end. He was passionate about one Canada for all through participatory democracy.

And even more passionate about lying about the Official Languages Act. He stated that his goal was to get French speakers the same rights in the ROC as English speakers had in Quebec. By the time he was done English speakers had no rights in Quebec; French speakers had French on all food labels, even in areas with no French presence. Ditto the Civil Service.
The mere act of patriating our constitution ensures his legacy.
Oh yes. Great legacy. A "constitution" where the "rights" are subject to recission by any allegedly elected democratic majority.

Do yourself a favor and read the Charter. I have. I'm an American. It's an awful document. Truly.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By the time he was done English speakers had no rights in Quebec; French speakers had French on all food labels, even in areas with no French presence.

I'm not sure you know what you're saying. Trudeau couldn't dictate the ability of the Province of Quebec to set language laws. The courts eventually make them remove the offensive parts. Trudeau wanted both French and English speakers to be able to access federal government services where reasonable across the country. He succeeded.

Ditto the Civil Service.

Incorrect. Civil servants aren't required to know French where zero to near zero demand exists at most levels.

Since we're talking about Trudeau/quotes, I love this one:

When it was revealed that President Richard Nixon called Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau "an asshole" in his private tapes, Trudeau responded with, "I've been called worse things by better people."

I believe that quote is apocryphal. It is on wikipedia but there is no link.

The original quote of Nixon calling Trudeau came from the Watergate tapes. Nixon was put on hold while trying to make a telephone call to Trudeau and the tape recorded Nixon muttering "Where is that asshole Trudeau." I figure that Nixon commonly made such comments in private to show that he was a tough guy.

Nixon's comment became public much later and I doubt Trudeau would have answered in such a manner.

----

The OP's Trudeau quote is accurate. [Once upon a time, we had politicians who were not prosaic and fearful of political correctness.] I could be wrong, but I think Trudeau also first used the metaphor of the US sneezing and Canada catching a cold. (Recent economic events show that that metaphor is false.)

My favourite Trudeau phrase referring to Canadian-American relations was made in 1977, after the election of the PQ in November 1976. Trudeau had the new president Jimmy Carter invite him to Washington and to deliver a rare foreigner's speech before a rare joint meeting of the US Congress.

Trudeau said, and I paraphrase, "Thousands of Americans shout and support a team of solely Canadians skating on a hockey rink here in Washington while thousands of Canadians shout and support a team of solely Americans in a baseball field in Montreal."

Given the recent winter olympics in Vancouver, I wish there were more politicians like Trudeau around.

For a Francophone his English was great.
This reminds me of another anecdote/story/quote of Trudeau. At the end of a radio interview in Paris (1950s, early 1960s), when the microphones were turned off, the journalist said: Merci M. Trudeau. Vous parlez si bien notre langue. ("Thank you Mr. Trudeau, you speak our language so well.") Trudeau was non-plussed, insulted (remember how arrogant Trudeau could be) and stammered: Mais c'est ma langue aussi. ("But it's my language too!") I don't know if this story is true but it is believable.

At the time, people like Trudeau or Vigneault were treated in France with less fascination than, say, Léopold Senghor.

Edited by August1991

I'm not sure you know what you're saying. Trudeau couldn't dictate the ability of the Province of Quebec to set language laws. The courts eventually make them remove the offensive parts. Trudeau wanted both French and English speakers to be able to access federal government services where reasonable across the country. He succeeded.

Except he didn't have to give the French speakers what amounted to a gift when they were not cooperating in participating as Canadians rather than as Quebecois.

Incorrect. Civil servants aren't required to know French where zero to near zero demand exists at most levels.

In theory you're right. But the construction of "reasonable demand" for French as been strained. I know of a few military careers that have been wrecked by "bi-lingual" policies. There are serious discriminatory barriers against Anglophones who learn French, from what I understand.

Except he didn't have to give the French speakers what amounted to a gift when they were not cooperating in participating as Canadians rather than as Quebecois.

It wasn't just a gift to Quebecers. It was a gift to all Canadians.

In theory you're right.

No, I'm simply right. I have a couple of family members in the civil service who can't speak any French.

Guest American Woman
American Woman, on 28 February 2010 - 05:12 AM, said: Since we're talking about Trudeau/quotes, I love this one:

When it was revealed that President Richard Nixon called Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau "an asshole" in his private tapes, Trudeau responded with, "I've been called worse things by better people."

I believe that quote is apocryphal. It is on wikipedia but there is no link.

The original quote of Nixon calling Trudeau came from the Watergate tapes. Nixon was put on hold while trying to make a telephone call to Trudeau and the tape recorded Nixon muttering "Where is that asshole Trudeau." I figure that Nixon commonly made such comments in private to show that he was a tough guy.

Nixon's comment became public much later and I doubt Trudeau would have answered in such a manner.

In spite of your doubt, according the CBC, which I cited as my source (not wikipedia), he did.

According to USA Today he did, too:

Once, when a tape recording revealed Richard Nixon had called him that earthier version of icehole, Trudeau quipped, "I've been called worse things by better people."

In spite of your doubt, according the CBC, which I cited as my source (not wikipedia), he did.

According to USA Today he did, too...

AW, the CBC, wikiquote and usatoday all draw from the same apocryphyal, non-existent source - they are likely quoting themselves. It happens, and in Internet terms, it is called an "echo chamber".

---

I remember when this Watergate quote became public in Canada, and Nixon's reference to Trudeau. At the time, there was no report of Trudeau's response. (In fact, Trudeau never heard Nixon's comment until the tape was made public.)

AW, I met Pierre Trudeau several times and I have read his various writings. It was not his style to say what you quote. Trudeau was never prosaic. IMV, Trudeau would never have said what you pretend he said.

If you want a good quote, in the line of what you seek, consider Giscard d'Estaing referring to Gerald Ford: "I have never met such an idiot."

This expresses well how most foreigners view Americans.

Edited by August1991

Guest American Woman

AW, the CBC, wikiquote and usatoday all draw from the same apocryphyal, non-existent source - they are likely quoting themselves. It happens, and in Internet terms, it is called an "echo chamber".

You're belief that there's no source is just that, your belief. You have no proof of it. You have no proof, other than your belief, that he didn't say it. In the meantime, I have sources saying he did.

I remember when this Watergate quote became public in Canada, and Nixon's reference to Trudeau. At the time, there was no report of Trudeau's response. (In fact, Trudeau never heard Nixon's comment until the tape was made public.)

The sources I cited don't refute that he never heard Nixon's comment until the tape was made public. In fact, that goes right along with what they said.

AW, I met Pierre Trudeau several times and I have read his various writings. It was not his style to say what you quote. Trudeau was never prosaic. IMV, Trudeau would never have said what you pretend he said.

What *I* "pretend" he said? Believe me. I'm not the source of that quote, and as long as there are legitimate sources, it's not me "pretending" anything. Sounds more like it's you pretending he didn't say it.

If you want a good quote, in the line of what you seek, consider Giscard d'Estaing referring to Gerald Ford: "I have never met such an idiot."

This expresses well how most foreigners view Americans.

And now you pretend to know how "most foreigners" veiw Americans. Too funny.

Guest TrueMetis

Well, I'm the foreigner. And you're the American.

And you are the one who tells me what my prime minister said.

You mean what the CBC says he said.

And I agree that it sounds like something he would say.

Edited by TrueMetis

Guest American Woman

Well, I'm the foreigner. And you're the American.

And you are the one who tells me what my prime minister said.

Ummmm. No. It's the CBC telling me what your PM said. I'm just passing it along.

Ummmm. No. It's the CBC telling me what your PM said. I'm just passing it along.
No, you are an American Woman saying what you think.

I happen to think that individuals should have the right to say what they think, and as a typical American, that is what you are doing.

But AW, you have unknowingly broken a Canadian civil code. Welcome to Canada!

Well, I'm not an American, and based on everything I know about him, it sounds just like something he would say.
Trudeau would never say anything as prosaic as "I've been called worse things by better people." That quote predates 1970, and it wasn't Trudeau's style.

I have posted this elsewhere. Here is Trudeau as he was.

Me too. Remember "just watch me."

After watching this video, understanding the circumstances, Trudeau would never have said what AW pretends that he said. Trudeau was not that kind of person.

Trudeau was not facile.

Edited by August1991

Trudeau would never say anything as prosaic as "I've been called worse things by better people." That quote predates 1970, and it wasn't Trudeau's style.

Busted. In his own words, from page 218 of Memoirs by Trudeau: "When Nixon's tapes later became public, it was obvious that Nixon was very angry with this decision and he had called me some nasty names. My only response was that I had been called worse things by better people."

I have posted this elsewhere. Here is Trudeau as he was.

After watching this video, understanding the circumstances, Trudeau would never have said what AW pretends that he said. Trudeau was not that kind of person.

why do you insist on framing it as something that "AW pretends that he said"? That's twice now.

She didn't "pretend" anything. Even if she was wrong (and it seems she wasn't: see Scorpio's post above) she wasn't "pretending" anything.

I don't know if your patriotic sentiments were wounded, or what. (Or even why they would be at this matter.)

No, you are an American Woman saying what you think.

I happen to think that individuals should have the right to say what they think, and as a typical American, that is what you are doing.

But AW, you have unknowingly broken a Canadian civil code. Welcome to Canada!

I'll defend AW here. Her post history shows that she has the ability to back up what she says.

And I am Canadian, so I hope that carries some water with you.!!

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Pierre_Trudeau

* I've been called worse things by better people.

o When it was reported to him that President Richard Nixon had called him an "asshole" (1971), quoted in Absurdities, Scandals & Stupidities in Politics (2006) by Hakeem Shittu and Callie Query, p. 19

o My only response was that I had been called worse things by better people.

+ Trudeau's account of the comment, in Memoirs (1993) by Pierre Elliott Trudeau, p. 218

Ah so it was in Trudeau's Memiors. Let's check that out.

Google Books.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=vAm450unFFUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=trudeau+memoirs&source=bl&ots=c3GRim1gL6&sig=GTyzf0nH41kvJSLfvnOXCf550HI&hl=en&ei=IXCOS6-VCMqWtgfo5LCNCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Long URL but.. There it is on page 218 like the wiki says it is ...

When Nixon's tape later became public, it was obvious that Nixon was very angry with the decision and had called me some nasty names. My only response was that I had been called worse things by better people.

Don't take anyone's words. You can take his very own words.

Trudeau Durning WW11 he refused to fight for the freedoms we all share now, He peferred to walk around Montreal with a Nazi uniform on. (cool ehh). We were forced to accept his language and culture, bilingualism costs $10 billion a year and an increase of 3% over 30 years due to population growth in Quebec. (only benefits Quebecers 7 out of 10 federal employees being from his province) And dont forget the Montreal Olympics we just finished paying for them, and the water front we had to buy. He caused the problems we have with Quebec today and are blackmailing the Canadian taxpayers, with the threat of separation if we dont comply. And the 2 that followed him as P.M.s were no better. Visit hotel rooms with arms dealer to recieve an envelope full of cash or just write me a 1 page letter and I will give you $1million canadian tax payers $$$$

Have a good one ehh!!!!

Guest American Woman

Thanks Scorpio, Ghosthacked, and Bloodyminded. Can't figure out where August is coming from with his insistance that I'm "pretending" Trudeau said that. Evidently my being an American has something to do with it, but I haven't been able to figure out quite what. :P Especially since I cited a Canadian source, too.

But since it's in Trudeau's memoirs, guess that sets the record straight, so I'm sure August will be acknowledging it any time now.....