Great quote by Trudeau on Canada-US relations

I never heard this quote before until today:

"Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt."

- Pierre Trudeau addressing Americans (the Press Club) in Washington, D.C. (25 March 1969)

I love this, it's so true (except the "beast" part, he probably could have found a better word lol)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

I never heard this quote before until today:

"Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt."

- Pierre Trudeau addressing Americans (the Press Club) in Washington, D.C. (25 March 1969)

I love this, it's so true (except the "beast" part, he probably could have found a better word lol)

I've heard the quote before, several times, actually, but never knew where it originated. I don't think he meant anything particularly insulting by use of the word "beast;" I take it he meant it as 'a huge force to be reckoned with.'

Edited by American Woman

I was familiar with what Trudeau said.

What would have been fair was for Trudeau to acknowledge that no other country is as good or peaceful a neighbor, and that the relationship ensured mutual prosperity or security.

What would have been fair was for Trudeau to acknowledge that no other country is as good or peaceful a neighbor, and that the relationship ensured mutual prosperity or security.

Agreed. The thing about Trudeau's quote which strikes me is not that I think it is insulting, but that it acknowledges America only as something large, while ignoring the fact that it is a large best friend.

Guest TrueMetis

I thought that that's is what the

"No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast..."

part was about.

Guest American Woman

Exactly. Trudeau acknowledges that the U.S. can be as friendly as possible, yet every move it makes still affects Canada in a significant way.

Agreed.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Can you link me to the entire speech?

You can watch a clip of his speech here. His comment was very well received; the (American) audience loved it.

Interesting site: Prime Ministers and Presidents

Since we're talking about Trudeau/quotes, I love this one:

When it was revealed that President Richard Nixon called Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau "an asshole" in his private tapes, Trudeau responded with, "I've been called worse things by better people."

Edited by American Woman

This little prince of a man - Trudeau was refered to constantly by the wealthy conservatives of the time as "The SHARK" - He was loathed and feared...He entered the frey with the same charismatic glory as Obama did and ended the same way Obama will---intellectual experimentation on a populace is a sin...Sure I was all hopped up and idealistic about Trudeau--it was a mistake based in emotionalism and hype to elect the guy, just like Obama---one thing I cansay about the Shark was when I shook his hand---it was as cold as ice....be careful of un-emotional men that prey on and manipulate NOT through honest logic - but through emotionalism and FEEEEELINGS.....WARM charismatic glows always end in a liberal bed sheeted in ice.

You can watch a clip of his speech here. His comment was very well received; the (American) audience loved it.

In context I probably vilified the speech a bit much.

Interesting site: Prime Ministers and Presidents

When it was revealed that President Richard Nixon called Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau "an asshole" in his private tapes, Trudeau responded with, "I've been called worse things by better people."

I'm familiar with that. Trudeau had some great lines.

For a Francophone his English was great.

Its 100% true, you should here what Albertans think of him.

On an airplace Chrietien looks aout thw window and say to Trudeau, "It's raining outside".

Trudeaus looks up from his paper and says "if it is raining then it must be outside"

I'm sure Chretien and Trudeau had this conversation in French.

Well this Albertan thinks he was one of the greatest Prime Ministers.

Did you live during the time of the NEP, the wasteland this province has become for the liberal party is a testament to his days of being PM.

The biggest flaw with the NEP was the unexpected drop in oil prices. No one could have predicted that. Thus went the unwriting subidies to the Canadian oil companies and lower prices to Canadian consumers with money that wasn't forthcoming. Trudeau campaigned on up to 50% Canadian ownership of the oil industry. But multinational oil companies and the "blue eyed sheik" went anal. The man was a federalist, as am I. One should not judge him and all the many accomplishments he delivered on one flawed program.

Do view the liberals as the only federalist option?

Semantics. Trudeau was much more than an economist. He felt all provinces should be on an even playing field, and took on the provincial premiers to that end. He was passionate about one Canada for all through participatory democracy. The mere act of patriating our constitution ensures his legacy.