Why I love the Olympics.

The winter olympics are a chance for the world to come together and compete over trivial things like "Who is the fastest", "who can jump the highest" etc. Its a chance to put aside the politics, a chance for young athletes to shine in sports that would otherwise never be exposed to the rest of the world. A great sign of that for example is the Jamacian ALpine skiier. Where in the hell would a Jamacian learn about skiing if not for events like the Olympics.

Most important to me, is we celebrate the best. To me it seems like society has taken a step back and we only glorify the very worst or down trodden. For once, every four years, we get to see the very best in the world compete for a medal, and the best part about it is, nobody gets murdered in the process. (unless you compete in the luge and are from Georgia, bad joke I know)

We already have a topic talking about why we HATE the Olympics. So if you disagree post it there, this is for people who enjoy the olympics for whatever reason, tradition, national pride, whatever you wish to post on.

GO TEAM USA, and go Olympics.

BTW 5-3 Put that in your pipe and smoke it. (see ya in the Medal round assuming you can handle the Russians)

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think I'd get this pumped over these Olympics. A lot of the people around me said the same thing. I am seeing spontaneous Canadian pride as I've never seen in my life.

The US-Canada game was amazing and hard on the nerves to watch at times. :)

The games will come to an end all too soon. Let's enjoy.

I didn't think I'd get this pumped over these Olympics. A lot of the people around me said the same thing. I am seeing spontaneous Canadian pride as I've never seen in my life.

The US-Canada game was amazing and hard on the nerves to watch at times. :)

The games will come to an end all too soon. Let's enjoy.

Amen

Top Olympic Moment

The slovenian cross country skier who broke her ribs and collapsed her lung and raced anyway to pull off a bronze medal, collapsed after the race and had to be helped onto the podium. That's a testament to will power, dedication, and hard work.

Yep, that was great. I remember how much pain she was in after she finished. It was crazy.

There always are in every Olympics, that's what makes it so great. Joannie Rochette's skate last night and Clara Hughes finishing her career at the age of thirty seven with her sixth medal in both summer and winter games has to be right up there for me.

Edited by Wilber

BTW 5-3 Put that in your pipe and smoke it. (see ya in the Medal round assuming you can handle the Russians)

Do you think we can handle the Russians now? :lol::lol::lol: The REAL Team Canada finally showed up with all lines playing like they ought. Bring on the Slovaks; and yeah, we all want a grudge match for the Gold. But the US has to beat Finland first. Hope you can handle them.

GO CANADA GO!

A picture is worth a thousand words. Look at the photo in this story.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/winter-olympics/canadas-dream-gold-is-beckoning-20100225-p5w2.html

GO TEAM CANADA!

The subtext is...why is an Australian media outlet writing about Hockey?

Winter Olympics are better because almost all the sports involve speed. I find most events in the summer Olympics to be too bloody slow and proding. I need action dammit.

Speaking of which curling is on right now. :lol:

I prefer them too, but really the Summer Olympics are better. Winter sports are pretty much limited to certain nations. Summer Olympics is a truly global event.

Wow! Canada won the men's 500-metre short track gold and bronze medals and the 5,000-metre relay gold medal tonight. That puts Charles Hamelin as a double gold medalist. I think this guy should be Canada's flag bearer at the closing ceremonies. Anyone have any other contenders?

Edited by capricorn