Why I Hate the Olympics

See...that's the thing...most Americans don't even give a crap about hockey, whereas in Canada it is a national obsession. Canada is suppose to win this game...going away. Great players...just not a team yet.

I for one did not go in expecting Canada to win this game. I think Canada outplayed USA tonight, but I was actually surprised at that fact. USA has a great team on paper, and very speedy as well.

The game is definitely the most popular sport here. But I would argue that it is not a national obsession. I think that's an exaggerated image, and one that we Canadians often play up ourselves.

I think USA has a good shot at the gold in hockey as well, but I am not predicting it exactly. Canada, Russia, USA and Sweden all have such talented line ups that I could see any of them getting it. All depends on the momentum of each game at this point.

Edited by jefferiah

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USA stuns Canada at home in Men's Hockey. All that trash talking does not make for great goaltending.

I don't know what is with our olympic mens hockey game....we end up choking ...The swiss should have won that last game...i mean who in the hell are the swiss when it comes to ice hockey anyways ....They had the team to beat last olympics and they almost beat us again this year...should have given the womens team the guys jerseys....would have been a better game...or better yet have the guys wear the girls jerseys...seeing how they play like girls....

Now perhaps the Toronto Maple leafs should send thier scouts to check out the swiss teams....

The mens team will be lucky to see a medal this time out as well....looks good on them....

Assuming the US beats Belarus or Switzerland again. We will definetly not have to see one of either Canada again or Russia as they would play eachother. Therefore, I believe the US has a legitmate shot to win at least a Bronze Medal this year.

USA has a good shot at gold. As good as anyone there.

Guest American Woman

No......assuming we do well from here on out, you'd better not beat us again though :P .

:lol:

It could get interesting before it's all over. I have to say, it would be kinda fun to beat Canada in Canada. B)

Canada 7 Russia 3. Wee're Baack.

Canada 2 USA 0

So are the ladies apparently.

However, according to the IOC and Hockey Canada, ladies should not celebrate by smoking cigars and drinking beer on the ice after everyone has left. And especially not 18 year olds like Marie-Philip Poulin who scored both of Canada's goals.

Canada 2 USA 0

So are the ladies apparently.

However, according to the IOC and Hockey Canada, ladies should not celebrate by smoking cigars and drinking beer on the ice after everyone has left. And especially not 18 year olds like Marie-Philip Poulin who scored both of Canada's goals.

I don't think the women ever left. Bad optics with the partying on the ice, why didn't they just head over to Hockey House and party there. Poulin turns 19 the end of March, surely to god she can have a beer to celebrate winning a Gold Medal and scoring two goals. I would hope we are not that anal.

I love the olypics - just don't like those liberals and conservative bankers who make a great effort to love and hate the homeless drug addict to death that languishes on the mean streets of Vancouver--it was bad when I lived there thirty years ago-- and is now worse--why has there been no progress..the important people with wealth and status glorify themselves with the Olympic imagrey and self promotion--- but they do not have the will or slight inclination to take care of their own---disloyality hiding under the guise of world sports and glory..bullshit---other than that I love the athletes but not those responsible for the games.

I don't think the women ever left. Bad optics with the partying on the ice, why didn't they just head over to Hockey House and party there.

You'd think at least one of the team would have thought that the on ice impromptu celebration would raise eyebrows, especially that alcohol was involved. That said, athletes are human and will sometimes do something that captures attention, good and bad. Most of the media comments I read from ordinary folk said it's no big deal, let it go.

Speaking of having feelings and being human, how about Canadian ice dancer gold medalist Scott Moir's solo visit to kiss the ice rink surface in appreciation.

With the arena emptied out and Tessa Virtue whisked away to pee in a bottle, Scott Moir changed into street shoes and then ventured onto the ice alone.

He bent down, pressed his lips to the cold surface.

"I always wanted to kiss the Olympic rings,'' the 22-year-old revealed, in a rare moment of shy disclosure. "I just felt like I owed something to that rink. I got down on my knees and thanked whatever powers were in that rink that had given us such strong performances.''

Then, reverting to his more characteristic waggish personality, Moir added: "I think I actually French-kissed the ice.''

His tongue did not stick to it.

http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/article/770443--golden-sunshine-for-moir-virtue

A lot of different reactions to winning the top prize.

I don't think the women ever left. Bad optics with the partying on the ice, why didn't they just head over to Hockey House and party there. Poulin turns 19 the end of March, surely to god she can have a beer to celebrate winning a Gold Medal and scoring two goals. I would hope we are not that anal.

What is the problem they are happy and excited, it has been reported on the radio that this was a half hour after the medal presentation and when the area was virtually empty. They should celebrate. This is just like winning the Stanley cup and what do the mens teams do fill, it with champagne and drink from and all this gets caught on camera.

Much Ado About Nothing

Edited by Alta4ever

What is the problem they are happy and excited, it has been reported on the radio that this was a half hour after the medal presentation and when the area was virtually empty. They should celebrate. This is just like winning the Stanley cup and what do the mens teams do fill, it with champagne and drink from and all this gets caught on camera.

Much Ado About Nothing

LET the kids have some fun..we did the same and survived..why do we deny some contained chaos as entertainment for the young?

LET the kids have some fun..we did the same and survived..why do we deny some contained chaos as entertainment for the young?

Because lawyers live and breathe, and walk among us ? Maybe child lawyers would solve this problem. Then we could go back to playing stick-ball in the streets of the Bronx just like our fondest Our Gang memories tell us we did.

Because lawyers live and breathe, and walk among us ? Maybe child lawyers would solve this problem. Then we could go back to playing stick-ball in the streets of the Bronx just like our fondest Our Gang memories tell us we did.

Having been a totally unsupervised child..running wild with my friend in the woods and meadows..later to run the streets of Toronto playing music- fighting in the streets- whore mongering- drugging and drinking...I TURNED OUT ALL RIGHT?

Having been a totally unsupervised child..running wild with my friend in the woods and meadows..later to run the streets of Toronto playing music- fighting in the streets- whore mongering- drugging and drinking...I TURNED OUT ALL RIGHT?

That's OK...we still had time for stick ball in the street.