Should politicians be jailed for lying?

How is the Canadian voter supposed to make a wise decision if politicians are going to lie to us.

Perhaps there should be something put into Canada's criminal code that would jail any politician who lies to Canadian during an election campaign.

There is already a very effective tool in place to punish politicians who lie to us. It's just that most of us aren't using it. It's called VOTING FOR SOMEONE ELSE.

If a politician lies to me I will never vote for him/her again. It's that basic. If I don't like the other mainstream candidates I will look at the independants. If I don't like any of them I will not vote. But once it becomes apparent a politician is dishonest I will never vote for them again.

But Chretien told bald-faced lies and got relected in landslides. He'd probably be re-elected again if he was running this year. Apparently the Canadian electorate either doesn't care if they're lied to or is too stupid to know when they have been lied to.

I am a Canadian voter, and I am not comfortable with the fact that I may be stupid if someone lies to me. That is a very clear: "BLAME THE VICTIM MENTALITY"

4 or 5 years in power for someone who has lied to the Canadian public to get elected is just not acceptable. Politicians need some serious pressures, in the present tense, on them to be honest with us.

Let's start setting much higher standards for politicians in Canada, by providing them with an incentive such as a jail sentance if they lie to us to get elected ;)

I am a Canadian voter, and I resent the fact you suggest I may be stupid if someone lies to me. That is a very clear: "BLAME THE VICTIM MENTALITY"

I don't blame you for being lied to. I would blame you if it was obvious the politician was telling a lie. For example, McGuinty promising not to raise taxes, but also promising billions for health care and billions for education, and billions for other programs. How was he supposed to do that? Come on! It was obvious he was lieing.

I would blame you even more if, after being lied to, you went out next time around and voted for the same guy who lied to you. Did you vote for Jean Chretien last federal election? If so, you voted for a man who everyone knew was a liar. So why wouldn't I blame you for that?

There is already a very effective tool in place to punish politicians who lie to us. It's just that most of us aren't using it. It's called VOTING FOR SOMEONE ELSE.

umm ya.. that is not what I would call an *effective tool* it's what I'd call a farce.

After four years, we *vote out* politician a) who screwed us, voting in politician B) who will screw us for the next four years, and so it goes decade after decade after decade. Sounds more like we're not choosing if we will be screwed, but who will do it.

What job other than politician can you "tell them whatever they want to hear" and KNOW you are secure in your job for at least 4 years?

If we are foolish enough to put our representatives *above the law* then we have no right to expect anything else but lies and corruption. Its not thier fault, its ours for allowing it.

While it is true that we the people are the ones who place the lying SOBs we call politicians in power, it is not us who make any promise necessary to gain that power.

People cannot be jailed for stupidity. They can and should be for gaining power under false pretenses. It's illegal to do business transactions, make legal statements, and all sorts of other things under false pretenses. Gaining an important position by the same means should be even more so.

I don't know if jail time would be completely appropriate however. A fine might be just as effective, provided it was large enough in sum so as to actually negitively affect the person. In addition, the politician should be forced to resign their office immediately, thus taking away any possible reason to run for office and lie.

Actually, I think I'd really like to see this. I would be very interested to see what the policy-makers would come up with as a real plan. They would be forced to actually analyze the situation and make a real assessment of where they would spend money, rather than simply promising everything under the sun. I think they would actually have more effective campaigns, and once elected, a much more concrete idea of what they are trying to accomplish. Not to mention giving Canadian voters something they can analyze for themselves and make an informed decision on, that isn't simply lies. I can only see this as an improvement.

Bro....good advice. Blame the victims.

Who ultimately holds the power in a democracy? Politicians or the people? If we the people hold the power, how can we be a victim?

In practical terms though, this is the dumbest idea I've ever heard of - or at least vaguely American.

Who is going to charge the "lying" politician? The RCMP? Who is going to judge the "lying" politician? The Supreme Court?

You don't think that the effect of this law would be to make the RCMP extremely political. Do you think the Supreme Court would ever send a Liberal politician to jail?

In the US, it is possible to impeach an elected official. And some places have the callback procedure (eg. California).

In Canada, we rely on the Crown and elected officials (parliament) to judge whether a politician has committed an "impeachable" offense.

If someone were to suggest we have a callback procedure, the ant-American left would immediately say this more evidence of how Cnada is becoming American....

Finally, think of Clinton. Do you want politricians spending all their time defending themselves against special prosecutors and such? (Maybe that's not a bad idea! They'll have less time to dcause problems for the rest of us!)

Yes they should be jailed and their pensions taken away so they only live on their old age pension.

People cannot be jailed for stupidity. They can and should be for gaining power under false pretenses. It's illegal to do business transactions, make legal statements, and all sorts of other things under false pretenses. Gaining an important position by the same means should be even more

Stupidity or not :rolleyes: They should not get away with it period.

One place where we agree maplesyrup.

I would also like to bring up one more point. regardless of party when a politian has the floor , they should be about to speak without being hackled by the other side of the house. This would save time and money . :)

It was so "obvious" Mcguinty was LYING.

I cringed when I seen so many Canadians fall for his FAKE smile and phony promises.

I wish we could send the liar to jail but of course that wont ever happen. :angry:

Deb-Proud Canadian (Liberalism is a disease and I am the cure!) :D