Ignatieff inner circle shrinks, 2 more aides depart

Smallc

Nothing has really happened that any reasonable person couldn't foresee. Those Conservative attack ads weren't attack ads.....they were just telling it as it was.......and many people saw it the same way. You can't take a guy fresh out of school and try to shoehorn him into a leadership position to lead a country. Pretty dumb.

Nothing has really happened that any reasonable person couldn't foresee. Those Conservative attack ads weren't attack ads.....they were just telling it as it was.......and many people saw it the same way. You can't take a guy fresh out of school and try to shoehorn him into a leadership position to lead a country. Pretty dumb.

Geez, if your post doesn't spark a reply from jdobbin then I suggest we call the Missing Persons Bureau!

He hasn't posted in weeks!

More bad news. Liberal Senator and former MP is going to trial tomorrow for abuse of his office as a Senator. Again the NDP stand on the right side of this issue get rid of the Senate.

Liberal Senator Raymond Lavigne hasn't cast a vote in the Senate since he was charged with fraud 27 months ago, but he kept his $130,000 annual salary and the keys to his office.

These taxpayer-funded perks will be on the line when Mr. Lavigne's trial, scheduled to begin in Ottawa today, gets under way. He has pleaded not guilty to charges related to the allegations of misappropriation of Senate funds and obstruction of justice.

The trial is scheduled to last two weeks. If he is acquitted, Mr. Lavigne will be able to end his leave of absence and return to the Senate.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/liberal-senator-set-to-stand-trial/article1390641/

You can't take a guy fresh out of school and try to shoehorn him into a leadership position to lead a country. Pretty dumb.

A bit of on the job training?

He decided to leave the board.

I once counted him as a friend and even spoke to him on the phone a few times. He's not a bad person even though we had a bad falling out and he put me on "ignore". Sometimes life takes strange twists and turns.

About Ignatieff's decision to leave academia to enter politics, this is too amusing not to post.

It wasn’t unlike the urban legend, often attributed to Margaret Atwood, of the brain surgeon who tells her at a dinner party that he’s thinking of writing a novel after he retires. “Oh, that’s a coincidence,” she is supposed to have said. “I’m thinking of becoming a brain surgeon.”

http://www.walrusmagazine.com/articles/2010.01-politics-the-stranger-within/

The reputation of the Liberal Party's Quebec wing, already damaged by past allegations of financial wrongdoing, has been further wounded by new information about a fake invoice scheme that was used to pay for former minister Alfonso Gagliano's “personal expenses” during trips abroad, according to RCMP allegations.

In a newly released wiretap warrant, the Mounties alleged that a $117,000 fraud was planned by former Liberal bagman Giuseppe Morselli, who used the money during trips with Mr. Gagliano in Italy and Florida.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/fake-invoices-paid-for-gaglianos-personal-expenses-rcmp/article1393400/

Just kill the party and get it over with already.

I find this hilarious. Where are all the Ignatieff lovers who were telling us that PM Harper was going down very quickly? The y said that Ignatieff would win an election in a landslide?

Yeah right.

Ignatieff is no savior, he is a buffoon, we tried to tell you left wingers this but you wouldn't listen. Left wing is fine for university campuses but it isn't practical in the real world. Will you left wingers please grow up and listen to the adults now?

Ignatieff is just visiting, we knew it and tried to tell you but you kept blindly saying he will defeat PM Harper...lol, yeah ok.

Next you'll have Bob Rae who will be even worse. Will you listen to us this time or just ignore us and crown him your new leader only to be further embarrassed? Sure we Tories want to win at all costs but this isn't even a challenge with this man at the helm.

If Harper is so scary why are his numbers so high? Obviously Canadians have woken up and see the truth, that PM Harper speaks for Canada and is the best leader available today.

Edited by Mr.Canada

It depends on how much criminal element remains in the Quebec wing of the LPC. I would like to believe that the criminal behaviour has been crippled. The Party is falling like a stone in Quebec.

Ignatieff is now rated LAST among all leaders in Quebec.

I don't have the details, I will put them in the polling thread when found.

Drip Drip Drip soon the levee will break it is a matter of time.

Money siphoned from the Liberal Party by a former provincial director was used to help finance trips taken abroad by former public works minister Alfonso Gagliano, according to allegations in an RCMP affidavit obtained by CBC News and the Globe and Mail.

The money, estimated to be about $117,000, was diverted from the Liberal coffers by Benoît Corbeil, former director of the federal party's Quebec wing at the height of the sponsorship program.......

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/12/09/quebec-sponsorship-scandal-gagliano-affidavit.html

The drip exists within the government as well. The Minister of Defense is under some political attack as you are aware. The Liberals are only an opposition party, nobody really cares what happens to them until the government is in danger of falling.

The drip exists within the government as well. The Minister of Defense is under some political attack as you are aware. The Liberals are only an opposition party, nobody really cares what happens to them until the government is in danger of falling.

That isn't true the Liberals don't have a get out of Jail free card. They wasted our money, many from that Admin still run this one and it reflexs on them. You don't get to pretend it doesn't it does and I have had enough of that party. There is an opposition party who is opposing the real stuff, HST, Afghanistan, while supporting real Canadians EI expansion I think they should get a chance way before the Liberal party gets back in there to give Canadian money away to their friends. There has been no change of the guard. It is time for something new.

That isn't true the Liberals don't have a get out of Jail free card. They wasted our money, many from that Admin still run this one and it reflexs on them. You don't get to pretend it doesn't it does and I have had enough of that party. There is an opposition party who is opposing the real stuff, HST, Afghanistan, while supporting real Canadians EI expansion I think they should get a chance way before the Liberal party gets back in there to give Canadian money away to their friends. There has been no change of the guard. It is time for something new.

I agree completely, but the NDP isn't new. The dippers will never gain enough seats to form a government. Aside from that NDP isn't exactly what we need, its too far to the left. The Conservatives are too far to the right, and the Liberals want to be everyones answer in the middle, epic failure in a couple of words. The problem isn't just the partisan factions and their ideologies, but the system itself being pegged to partisan administration which prevents correct solutions due to flawed partisan concepts.

New is exactly what we need, but the nation resists the concept. At best in the foreseeable future lays a coalition of concepts from both the left and the right. The country needs solutions based upon the needs of citizens not party policies or partisan ideologies. The needs of the citizens are simple. All we need is increased disposable incomes, the government is in complete control of that. We already have cradle to grave benefits, no new social programs are needed. So the way to get increased disposable incomes for citizens is through reformation of government revenue streams, that can be done. Putting money in the pockets of citizens will yield huge public support. The only concern there is dealing with the debt issues and that comes from monetary reforms. The government can do that as well.

I don't think that your needs necessarily meet those of the entire population.

Of course not! I need nothing more from the government than I already have in terms of services provided and delivered. I don't collect any form of assistance, nor do I require it. I pay my own way, don't use credit and don't owe anybody any money.

The solution I offer is one of common sense. Get the government out of our pockets and bedrooms. Let citizens own their own property, and let citizens live in peace free from government interference. Freedom of religion and speech, freedom from hatred and persecution, protection from domestic harm within the nation and protection from all harm outside of the nation.

The zealots who would declare that all things are rosy in this nation are deluding themselves. There are problems that need to be addressed and changes that need to be made. These things need to be considered outside of the hallowed halls of government by citizens without agendas. What the citizens need can only be determined by the citizens, not the government.

Of course not! I need nothing more from the government than I already have in terms of services provided and delivered. I don't collect any form of assistance, nor do I require it. I pay my own way, don't use credit and don't owe anybody any money.

The solution I offer is one of common sense. Get the government out of our pockets and bedrooms. Let citizens own their own property, and let citizens live in peace free from government interference. Freedom of religion and speech, freedom from hatred and persecution, protection from domestic harm within the nation and protection from all harm outside of the nation.

The zealots who would declare that all things are rosy in this nation are deluding themselves. There are problems that need to be addressed and changes that need to be made. These things need to be considered outside of the hallowed halls of government by citizens without agendas. What the citizens need can only be determined by the citizens, not the government.

I don't think the Liberals are what you want.

I'm in the same situation...well, I owe the bank money for school, but I'm working aggressively (to the tune of about $1500 per month) to change that.

For the most part, you're describing this country. You just don't see it that way.

I'm in the same situation...well, I owe the bank money for school, but I'm working aggressively (to the tune of about $1500 per month) to change that.

For the most part, you're describing this country. You just don't see it that way.

You have no right to own property, we lost that with the 1982 Constitution. Witness the gun registry for your right to own guns. look what happens to folks who speak their minds in a human rights tribunal. Look what happened to English speaking citizens in Quebec. Now tell me there are no issues......

You have no right to own property, we lost that with the 1982 Constitution.

Did we ever have such a right enshrined in the Constitution?

Witness the gun registry for your right to own guns.

The registry, as misguided as it is, doesn't stop people from owning guns.

look what happens to folks who speak their minds in a human rights tribunal.

Those cases exist, but are in a small minority. For the most part, we still have one of the most free countries on earth.

Look what happened to English speaking citizens in Quebec.

And many of those problems were fixed. It isn't perfect, but it's better.

Now tell me there are no issues......

I never lie. There are many issues. There are also many less than in almost any other country on earth. Given that, tinkering is probably a bad idea.

Did we ever have such a right enshrined in the Constitution?

Yes.

The registry, as misguided as it is, doesn't stop people from owning guns.

That was never its intent. Its intention was to treat the owners of guns like criminals. Guns are merely personal property and should be treated as such under the appropriate "provincial laws" as they used to be. What the government did was incorporate guns into the criminal code and hijacked the jurisdiction from the provinces.

Those cases exist, but are in a small minority. For the most part, we still have one of the most free countries on earth.

So since it only happens to a few people that makes it okay? You have got to be kidding.

And many of those problems were fixed. It isn't perfect, but it's better.

What fixed Bill 101 in Quebec, I will need to see the proof of that. In fact I think you will do the country as well as the English speaking citizens of Quebec a large favour when you can ensure that the language police are breaking the law when they fine you for having big English letters on a sign in front of your shop.

I never lie. There are many issues. There are also many less than in almost any other country on earth. Given that, tinkering is probably a bad idea.

Its the fine print that will get you every time dude. Its the little things that need attention, and they need it in the worst way possible. The thing that really bothers me is that the sheeple of this nation actually believe that their focus should be on the "big picture" simply because they follow the partisan rantings of folks trained to manipulate opinions.

Edited by Jerry J. Fortin