Toronto to Finally Get Games

That is not only really funny but it explains alot. Ottawa - the place where the National Capital Corporation spends billions of dollars in free arts, entertainment and beautification. There are plenty of free international sports and entertainment that spending on the Pan Am games for Toronto would seem as "excess". Your problem in trying to explain your position is that you have no clue what the rest of the country is like and from the comfort of your leather Lazyboy, I could see how you think you do.

There is no question that Torontonions think they are special but none of that even compares to Ottawa, where virtually everything is provided for you, and where your most serious complaints have to do with the weather (or those ignorunts from the valley who yall come in to shop now and then....)

:rolleyes:

By the way, I've also lived 9 months in a small Quebec town about 1 1/2 hours north of Quebec city, with a population of less than 20,000, and have lived in Montreal too. So I'm well aware of the unfair advantage big cities get over smaller ones when it comes to government funding for arts, sports, etc. Perhaps you ought to do a little more travelling.

That is not only really funny but it explains alot. Ottawa - the place where the National Capital Corporation spends billions of dollars in free arts, entertainment and beautification. There are plenty of free international sports and entertainment that spending on the Pan Am games for Toronto would seem as "excess". Your problem in trying to explain your position is that you have no clue what the rest of the country is like and from the comfort of your leather Lazyboy, I could see how you think you do.

There is no question that Torontonions think they are special but none of that even compares to Ottawa, where virtually everything is provided for you, and where your most serious complaints have to do with the weather (or those ignorunts from the valley who yall come in to shop now and then....)

:rolleyes:

This might just be my opinion but I believe national museums and monuments are deserving of our billions of dollars. They are national after all and do contain/preserve our countries history... They are also representative of our country to the outside world. I think the real debate in that spectrum is why the concentration of our national museums/galleries are located in the capital surrounding area... I highly doubt diplomats visit them, but i might be wrong...

Being natively from northern ontario (18 years in a town pop. of 6000) and current Torontonian (6 years) who has travelled our vast beautiful nation; I have to disagree with your shortsightedness that "no question" Torontonians think they are special. We don't just think it; we know it. :lol:

I don't approve of these games. But there's nothing (legal at least) that can be done to stop them.

"while those who are not interested in them still have to foot part of the bill."

Hardly. Torontonians pay taxes, they get the benefits of those taxes. But in fact, the PAN-AM Games will go on over a large portion of the GTA, so the GTA benefits. There are millions of tax payers here. They are benefitting from their slice of the tax pie AND paying billions into funds that are dispersed all over the province and the rest of the country for things like health & enducation.

The PAN-AM games were held in Winnipeg in 1967 & 1999. The Commonwealth Games have been held in Hamilton, Vancouver, Edmonton, & Victoria. There are plenty of places in Canada that enjoy international games and competitions and the economic benefits they may bring.

You idea of wealth redistribution already happens, but making sure everyone gets an exact equal amount is a bit of a stretch as much as your idea that the ROC is footing the bill.

"while those who are not interested in them still have to foot part of the bill."

Hardly. Torontonians pay taxes, they get the benefits of those taxes. But in fact, the PAN-AM Games will go on over a large portion of the GTA, so the GTA benefits. There are millions of tax payers here. They are benefitting from their slice of the tax pie AND paying billions into funds that are dispersed all over the province and the rest of the country for things like health & enducation.

Necessarily? What about the Torontonian who'd rather just go out and play sports himself but has little to no interest in paying to watch others getting payd to have fun on the field? Will he be exempt from those taxes? or what about the Torontonian who's just going to take longer to get through the traffic to get to work? Will he be compensated?

The PAN-AM games were held in Winnipeg in 1967 & 1999. The Commonwealth Games have been held in Hamilton, Vancouver, Edmonton, & Victoria. There are plenty of places in Canada that enjoy international games and competitions and the economic benefits they may bring.

All the cities you named are medium-to-big cities. Of course such major events must be held in larger urban environments. Seeing though that the locals are the most affected, no provincial or federal funding ought to go to it. If a local town wants it, it pays for it with local taxes then.

You idea of wealth redistribution already happens, but making sure everyone gets an exact equal amount is a bit of a stretch as much as your idea that the ROC is footing the bill.

I agree we can never redistribute wealth exactly 100% to the penny. But I'm surfe you can agree that sports and arts spending through the school system is likely to come much closer to that ideal than focussed spending on arenas and such. Leave that kind of large scale spending to the private sector.

This might just be my opinion but I believe national museums and monuments are deserving of our billions of dollars. They are national after all and do contain/preserve our countries history... They are also representative of our country to the outside world. I think the real debate in that spectrum is why the concentration of our national museums/galleries are located in the capital surrounding area... I highly doubt diplomats visit them, but i might be wrong...

OK, you might have a point about national museums, but even then insteaad of taxes, why not just raise the entrance fee to ensure that those who benefit most from it foot the bill. That way, the family that has not time to visit Ottawa owing to other responsibilities doesn't foot the bill for the other family that does have time to visit Ottawa. What would be wrong with making it user-pays as much aspossible? Would that not be more just?

I don't approve of these games. But there's nothing (legal at least) that can be done to stop them.

Except at the ballot box. Agreed.

What about the Torontonian who'd rather just go out and play sports himself but has little to no interest in paying to watch others getting payd to have fun on the field? Will he be exempt from those taxes? or what about the Torontonian who's just going to take longer to get through the traffic to get to work? Will he be compensated?

You are spouting unsustainable idealism now. If you seek tax exemption from the pick-and-choose things you do not like there is a word for that: emigrate. This way, you won't have to worry about how the taxes are spent in Canada, your province or your municipality.

If a local town wants it, it pays for it with local taxes then.

Now this appears as a contradiction to your pick-and-choose-tax-exemption comment above.

Leave that kind of large scale spending to the private sector.

Now this appears as a contradiction to your locals-pay-through-their-taxes comment above.

This reminds me of a quote from The Simpsons:

Kang (in Bill Clinton form): We must move forward... not backwards, not to the side, not forwards, but always whirling, whirling, whirling towards freedom.