Federal liberals responsible for shortage of flu vaccine

Thank you Tory party for being in power for 4 years and believing single source was the way to go on this when the contract specifically allowed for more suppliers.

So take that in your consideration when tossing out blame.

Sorry your party signed the contract ailienated and drove a second vaccine producer out of the country, again you are wrong but unable to admit it just like what is happening in the Registry thread.

But please continue on with this one tonight, again you are beat I am done for the night and with the topic.

Edited by Alta4ever

Sorry your party signed the contract ailienated and drove a second vaccine producer out of the country, again you are wrong but unable to admit it just like what is happening in the Registry thread.

This buck passing by the Tories to assign blame completely on the Liberals, a party that has not been in power for 4 years is completely laughable.

One again you are wrong as you are always wrong as you will continue to be wrong and will forever more be wrong.

The Tories had an option of additional suppliers. I have shown you that in the CP story. I have shown you how any delay in H1N1 was due to negotiation and development done by this government. I have shown you how the production line was stopped and restarted with a change in the vaccine.

And yet you think the Liberals who not in power are to blame for this entire thing and that the Tories were helpless in all this.

But please continue on with this one tonight, again you are beat I am done for the night and with the topic.

You are wrong and have been shown to be wrong.

Which allows for multi company orders as Dr. Butler Jones said yesterday.

Tony Clement renegotiated this in 2007. Yeesh.

There was no reason for a single source this time except for the fact that the Tory government made it so.

Dobbins, if you'd provided a link to a story from Dr Butler-Jones instead of posting ridiculous non-sequiturs like

* The seasonal flu shot is not made to protect against the H1N1 flu virus..

* It is expected that the vaccines will be administered separately, at least a few weeks apart.

you could have saved us all a great deal of nuisance.

Incidentally, is there a link? The material you've posted appears to literally be taken from the Liberal Party talking-points page. Is that why you were reluctant to provide a link to it?

-k

As usual, Liberals are lying about what they did in order to smear Conservatives that are stuck cleaning up Liberal messes. No surprise, business as usual.

And they wonder why they are so far down in the polls? Stop with the idiotic lies, and maybe people will take you seriously.

funny you left this bit out

Yet another one of Dobbin's half-truths. It's getting to be an epidemic worse than H1N1. When confronted with the facts, he spins like a top.

Liberal opens mouth, inserts foot!

The exclusive 10-year contract for vaccine supply in Canada was signed by Bennett's own party. Jean Chretien's Liberal government awarded it to Shire Bio-Chem of Quebec in 2001, after which Shire BioChem donated $56,000 to the Liberal party. Shire BioChem was bought out in 2004 by ID Biomedical Corp. of Vancouver, which maintained vaccine production in Quebec. ID Biomedical was in turn purchased the following year by British giant GlaxoSmithKline and thus we have the single source supplier that exists today, courtesy of Bennett's own Liberals.

Deal with it.

Tsk, tsk

I think it's a bit silly to politicize this, but the Liberals do seemn intent on doing so.

Without actually reading the contract, or hearing from a lawyer who has, it's impossible to say one way or the other how free the government was to go to multiple suppliers. They may have had that ability in an emergency, in the event of shortages, but no no expected there to be a shortage. Canada, unlike other places, like the US, was said to have more than enough to go around - 50 million shots to be available. GSK said that wouldn't be a problem for them. In that event, I don't see how anyone could say in advance that there were shortages which justified turning to other suppliers against the terms of the long term contract.

Dobbins, if you'd provided a link to a story from Dr Butler-Jones instead of posting ridiculous non-sequiturs like

I believe I did show that.

http://www.liberal.ca/en/newsroom/media-releases/16836_just-the-facts-conservative-pandemic-incompetence

Chief Public Health Officer Dr. David Butler-Jones confirmed yesterday that the government can order more vaccine from other suppliers. It failed to do so.

I watched him on CTV's National say that the contract wasn't limited to one supplier and I have shown in a few links here that the contract was never for 100% of the vaccine. The Canadian Press Story I linked shows as much.

The accusation is the Liberals contracted out for 100% to a single source. Think you have seen the CP story says no.

Incidentally, is there a link? The material you've posted appears to literally be taken from the Liberal Party talking-points page. Is that why you were reluctant to provide a link to it?

I linked the CP story on the contract itself that says the contract was for 75% of the vaccine and the Liberals responded after Butler Jones indicated that a single source was not only choice Health Canada had.

Aside from the CTV news interview, I found he also said that Canada was not prohibited from buying vaccine elsewhere in a news conference I saw on Newsworld.

http://www.thespec.com/News/CanadaWorld/article/665628

Butler-Jones said the terms of the contract with GlaxoSmithKline, which Public Works said could only be obtained through a request under the Access to Information and Privacy Act, does not prohibit Canada from purchasing vaccine from another supplier – as it did when it bought 200,000 doses of adjuvant-free vaccine from Australia for pregnant women last week – but he said there are no plans to do that for the regular version because there is no global excess of vaccine and he expects shipments to ramp up next week.

Blaming the Liberals for a single source contract for H1N1 is passing the buck based on the contract that was signed. It never limited the Tories from getting other suppliers.

I think it's a bit silly to politicize this, but the Liberals do seemn intent on doing so.

The Liberals are being blamed for the vaccine shortage. Think that is sill given the information that a single source was not the only choice the Liberal contract in 2001 gave today's government?

Without actually reading the contract, or hearing from a lawyer who has, it's impossible to say one way or the other how free the government was to go to multiple suppliers. They may have had that ability in an emergency, in the event of shortages, but no no expected there to be a shortage. Canada, unlike other places, like the US, was said to have more than enough to go around - 50 million shots to be available. GSK said that wouldn't be a problem for them. In that event, I don't see how anyone could say in advance that there were shortages which justified turning to other suppliers against the terms of the long term contract.

The problem was interrupting the production line for two types of H1N1 vaccines.

This is where the contract allowed for some freedom to get another supplier.

Butler-Jones said the terms of the contract with GlaxoSmithKline, which Public Works said could only be obtained through a request under the Access to Information and Privacy Act, does not prohibit Canada from purchasing vaccine from another supplier – as it did when it bought 200,000 doses of adjuvant-free vaccine from Australia for pregnant women last week – but he said there are no plans to do that for the regular version because there is no global excess of vaccine and he expects shipments to ramp up next week.

Yet another one of Dobbin's half-truths. It's getting to be an epidemic worse than H1N1. When confronted with the facts, he spins like a top.

Another lie that you are exposed for:

And they wonder why they are so far down in the polls? Stop with the idiotic lies, and maybe people will take you seriously.

Stop with your own idiotic lies that a single source was the only Tory choice.

Canada's own top doctor says it isn't true and the Feds just bought doses of H1N1 vaccine from Australia last week which proves it wasn't the only choice available under the contract.

No wonder Harper keeps falling short of a majority. It took a freedom of information request to get details of the contract revealed and expose the lie that the Liberals were to blame for all of this.

Settle down everyone....Canada is doing pretty darn good. Here's what's going on in the US as of Oct. 29......and I'm sure every country is feeling the strain:

The original plan was to vaccinate every elementary age student, with their parent's approval. But nurse coordinator Robin Wallin at Alexandria public schools outside of Washington now has to tell parents only children in pre-kindergarten through first grade can receive the H1N1 vaccine.

"The biggest problem that we've had is that our supply has not come in as fast as we have anticipated," Wallin said.

Desperate parents trying to find the vaccine at clinics and other places are having a difficult time.

"They been calling all over trying to find it and they're so upset now it's not available but hopefully more will come," Tiffany Scruggs said.

Link: http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-10-29-voa10.cfm

So your proof is a link from the Liberal Party website? LOL! :lol:

Too funny.

Which was sourced from newspapers reports.

Now, is it your argument that Canada could only get single sourced vaccine?

Come on. Fess up.

Settle down everyone....Canada is doing pretty darn good. Here's what's going on in the US as of Oct. 29......and I'm sure every country is feeling the strain:

Just countering the argument that the Liberals are to blame for the vaccine shortage as the Calgary Herald states. Or do you believe that is true?

It was reveal yesterday on Tom Clark show, that the Cons could have changed the the one company supply deal, but Tony Clements didn't and now we find that the head of the company doing the supplying is very good friends with Harper and so far this company has made 1 Billion dollars, which was revealed by the Health Minister herself today.

So what? Since when is the USA a benchmark for vaccine yield? More of the same.....whatever happened to "better health care than the 'merkins" ? :P

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Just countering the argument that the Liberals are to blame for the vaccine shortage as the Calgary Herald states. Or do you believe that is true?

No...I don't. This is one time I will jump to the defence of the Liberals (I feel a little queasy saying that). And there is no shortage. There's a distibution problem.

The Liberals are being blamed for the vaccine shortage

Drivel. The Liberals have been attempting to blame the Tories for the shortage, and so after one particularly shrill Liberal made a demand in the HoC a columnist noted the Liberals themselves signed the original long-term deal - perhaps after arranging for a hefty bribe - er, excuse me "Donation".

The problem was interrupting the production line for two types of H1N1 vaccines.

This is where the contract allowed for some freedom to get another supplier.

Only if it was known in advance this would lead to shortages, and it was not.

Edited by Argus

It was reveal yesterday on Tom Clark show, that the Cons could have changed the the one company supply deal, but Tony Clements didn't and now we find that the head of the company doing the supplying is very good friends with Harper and so far this company has made 1 Billion dollars, which was revealed by the Health Minister herself today.

It was revealed yesterday? The amount of such contracts are pretty much out there. You can't hide them. And no one has suggested that either the payment or the profit portion of it were out of line.

You expect them to do this for free?

Canada's own top doctor says it isn't true and the Feds just bought doses of H1N1 vaccine from Australia last week which proves it wasn't the only choice available under the contract.

The fact is that Canada, as far as anyone knew, was set up pretty well for this vaccine. In fact, it was beginning to look as though we'd have far too much of it, and would have to shop around somewhere to see where we could sell the excess. Recall that at first the medical people were suggesting we'd need 2 doses per person. We had purchased 50 million doses. Then the medical people said only one was needed. That would have left an excess even if every single Canadian was vaccinated. But by all accounts, half to 2/3rds of Canadians were not going to get vaccinated.

And you're suggesting the government should have gone out and bought more vaccine at that point??!

Why, exactly, would they do that?

Then, of course, a couple of kids died and their deaths were highly publicized, panicking parents into a stampede to the vaccination clinics.

I remind you that up until this week all shipments were proceeding as expected. The mess we've been witnessing on TV with lineups at various clinics has nothing to do with a shortage but with the sudden overwhelming demand that the provinces did not anticipate when they set up the distribution.

None of this matters to the Liberals, of course, who are desperate for any talking point, any issue, anything at all they can seize on to blame the Tories.

Edited by Argus

Drivel. The Liberals have been attempting to blame the Tories for the shortage, and so after one particularly shrill Liberal made a demand in the HoC a columnist noted the Liberals themselves signed the original long-term deal - perhaps after arranging for a hefty bribe - er, excuse me "Donation".

The editorial was pretty clear that the Liberals were to blame for the shortage now despite the fact that Butler Jones says that the federal government always had the option of going to a second supplier.

There has been the suggestion that the 2001 contract never allowed for it.

We now know that this is incorrect.

Only if it was known in advance this would lead to shortages, and it was not.

This is what the questions have been for a while in Parliament but the Tories brushed them off off or shouted them down.

Actually Argus, there were supposed to be 3M doses a week and we have only been getting 2M. It's not the government's fault though, that fault lies with with GSK for overestimating.

It was the government though that ordered the change in the vaccine which stopped production to get ready for the changeover. And that wasn't the companies fault.

And you're suggesting the government should have gone out and bought more vaccine at that point??!

My response has been pretty consistent. The contract allowed for getting supply elsewhere to keep the production line going steady.

The Calgary Herald says the Liberal contract prevented that but Butler Jones says that was never the case. It is why Canada was able to buy vaccine from Australia.

Then, of course, a couple of kids died and their deaths were highly publicized, panicking parents into a stampede to the vaccination clinics.

To find the clinics had less vaccine than what had been guaranteed just a week before.

I remind you that up until this week all shipments were proceeding as expected. The mess we've been witnessing on TV with lineups at various clinics has nothing to do with a shortage but with the sudden overwhelming demand that the provinces did not anticipate when they set up the distribution.

None of this matters to the Liberals, of course, who are desperate for any talking point, any issue, anything at all they can seize on to blame the Tories.

The distribution of the vaccine was federal. The delivery was provincial.

There are plenty of issues regarding that as well but they vary from province to province. However, distribution to the provinces was and is a federal issue.

And the accusation that the contract prevented the Feds from seeking additional supply or a supplier are false.

No...I don't. This is one time I will jump to the defence of the Liberals (I feel a little queasy saying that). And there is no shortage. There's a distibution problem.

There is a shortage of available vaccine to distribute. The weekly supply available is quite a bit lower than what was promised.